Holidays food traditions?

2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »
    What's the typical food of choice for Holidays in other countries? Heck, I'm curious about what Americans eat for Christmas too...

Fun topic.

As I said in the other thread, when I was growing up Christmas dinner would basically be a rehash of Thanksgiving. As an adult I wanted to differentiate, and we've done a variety of things -- normally revolving around some sort of beef (prime rib, most often).

For Easter it was always lamb and still is. Also various chocolates, of course, and deviled eggs. The sides can vary depending on the particular meal, which like Christmas may vary more than Thanksgiving tends to.

4th of July tends to involve some sort of cook-out.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Halloween is a gathering of friends, everyone brings trick or treat items and I provide random foods, typically they look a little gorey as it is a spooky time.

Thanksgiving is one of my favorites but a horrible time to travel in our area so we either stay home and I cook up a feast, turkey, squash, potatoes, green bean casserole, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, carrots, gravy, rolls, chocolate pie and pumpkin mousse or we'll gather at a friends and everyone brings side dishes and the hosts cook the turkey. I still cook our own meal when we do this because well the leftovers are just amazing. TV is on for the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade then football.

Christmas my hubby needs his cinnamon rolls as was family tradition for them. I'm an early riser so I get my quiet morning coffee then bake his cinnamon rolls which always wakes him then we do gifts, maybe a holiday movie and I make a full late morning breakfast like I had as a kid. Dinner is usually again with friends as travel to see family is crazy, cranberry based sangrias, roast beast (beef) and lots of random sides.

New Years eve we stay home, no TV just music, wine and conversation. We usually pick random appetizers and keep the mood light. New Years day is "meat pie" which you cannot purchase where we live now so I have had to learn to make from scratch and bread and butter pickles.

Easter is usually a ham dinner either baked or boiled (depends on the weather) and usually spent with friends.

The summer holidays we tend to travel so the food could be anywhere from sandwiches to lobster, just depends where we are.

All the holidays I run a 5k in the morning before the craziness starts, only difference is on Christmas I run between the cinnamon rolls and making the big breakfast.I do this simply because I can and I take a few minutes during my run to be grateful to those that keep our country safe, who may wish for the ability to run again.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    I'm making a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing and devilled eggs for Thanksgiving

For Christmas, I'm making a ham, grilled red potatoes in butter with parsley, green beans with grape tomatoes and devilled eggs.

Thanksgiving eve I'm making a beef stew with seasonal ingredients