Treadmill and Fitbit Charge

Options
2»

Replies

• mporter50sb
    mporter50sb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    IMHO - and I do mean H... I tried the charge HR at the gym enough to conclude that if you wear it normally (as it should be worn, not putting it in your pocket;) it does not calculate the steps accurately. The rolling stairs & treadmill are where I get my most intense cardio workout, & reading a great e-book, "Thornbirds" again after 35 years;). After 30 mins on the rolling stairs @ at speed 6, the fitbit credited 8 floors, the rolling stairs showed 75+, after 30 on the treadmill @ 3.2 mph, fitbit showed 900 steps, pedometer showed 4000+. Of course outside walking the FB is great. I hope sometime soon Nike will resolve this "big problem" (for me anyway) maybe by adding a comfortable bluetooth ankle transmitter, or some such. Now, Nike would have a big fan.. just my humble opinion my friends..Go Patriots!!!
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This is pretty much why I just log cardio machine exercises separately and not rely on my fitbit to monitor anything except for actual walking/running. Sometimes I'm using the handrails, sometimes my hands are on my hips, sometimes I'm using weights and doing overhead presses etc while on a treadmill/stepper/elliptical. Too many variables in what my hands are doing/not doing for the fitbit to be accurate.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have a flex and use a treadmill. Not sure if it's 100% perfect but it's pretty close.
  • sigolafsson
    sigolafsson Posts: 1 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I have a Charge hr and i use Cross trainer. Do I have to log manually all my workouts in mfp & Endomondo ? I have linked my fitbit to myfitnesspal and Endomondo but only my step count syncs. I use workout mode on my charge.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    IMHO - and I do mean H... I tried the charge HR at the gym enough to conclude that if you wear it normally (as it should be worn, not putting it in your pocket;) it does not calculate the steps accurately. The rolling stairs & treadmill are where I get my most intense cardio workout, & reading a great e-book, "Thornbirds" again after 35 years;). After 30 mins on the rolling stairs @ at speed 6, the fitbit credited 8 floors, the rolling stairs showed 75+, after 30 on the treadmill @ 3.2 mph, fitbit showed 900 steps, pedometer showed 4000+. Of course outside walking the FB is great. I hope sometime soon Nike will resolve this "big problem" (for me anyway) maybe by adding a comfortable bluetooth ankle transmitter, or some such. Now, Nike would have a big fan.. just my humble opinion my friends..Go Patriots!!!

Fitbits don't count stair machines as floors. They use an altimeter that notes your rise in altitude. You don't change altitude on a stair machine.

Do you hold the treadmill bars while walking? That would explain the low steps there. Your arms have to swing in a normal walking motion for most of the wrist ones to be able to tell you're walking. That's why yours works fine outdoors, I bet.
  • SDakotaLady
    SDakotaLady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR. The mileage it registers is generally from 3/4 to 1 mile LESS than my treadmill says I walk. I do NOT hold on to the treadmill, ever, so I am swinging my arms, but still the treadmill says I walked much further than my Fitbit does.
  • Imlexi1969
    Imlexi1969 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ryoku wrote: »
    Does anyone have any experience using their fitbit charge on a treadmill? Is it going to count the steps or just the number of times I swing my arms? Do you find it accurate?

I've done a lot of searching for an answer before posting but can only find out info for the flex.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
    It should do fine. It uses the same technology as a Flex. If you hold the bars, it might not do fine. If you stand still and swing your arms, it might not do fine.

I have a fitbit charge hr. Im a heavy girl so im not confident enough walking on the treadmill with holding on so i strapped it to my ankle using some string to calculate my steps