Side with chicken fajitas?

Options
what does everyone serve with chicken fajitas as the side or do you not have any sides with it? I thought of making spanish rice, but didn't want to overload on the carbs. Any thoughts or ideas?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Beans or avocado
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Rice, beans, and saute some frozen peas and corn with butter, garlic, chili powder, cumin, etc
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    'Nothing'- everything that i serve with my fajitas goes IN my fajitas.

Personally I like steak/chicken with beans, rice, tomatoes, lettuce- onions- pico- sour cream and a little bit of quac- I stuff them full- no sides needed.
  • glitznglamour15
    glitznglamour15 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Mmm avacado is delicious as a side disk- you can even add some chili powder on it! Low carb, high fat goodness
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    No side is necessary.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If I were really hungry I would grill up extra peppers and onions and indulge in that for a side. And some guac.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I make loads of vegetables including peppers, onions, squash, zucchini, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and anything else I have on hand. Everything goes in the fajita. I serve with avocado, salsa and Greek yogurt.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    ^ this - load up on the vegetables. As sides, I do black beans and spicy quinoa made in my rice cooker.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Usually none.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Usually Black Bean and Corn Salad.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you want a real restaurant experience, serve a crapload of chips and salsa before you bring out the fajitas.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Mexican corn. Beans. Salad.
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just made Chicken Fajitas Sunday night to carry me through the beginning of the week. I cut up about of pound of chicken breast, two bags of frozen pepper and onion mix, added a can of rinsed black beans and a can of rinsed pinto beans and a generous dab of Sriracha sauce. I did make some brown rice to go with it, but I only measured out about 3 ounces with my lunch just incase I was missing the wrap, I wasn't, but the rice wasn't bad. I have also made quinoa, with chili tomatoes and black beans to go as a side in the past. It was pretty delicious, and I didn't feel like I was missing anything.
  • LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Calabacitas!! (This recipe is very close to how I make mine: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/213707/calabacitas-con-elote-zucchini-with-corn/)

I don't really need an excuse to make it because its one of my favorite veggie dishes, but I almost ALWAYS make it to go with fajitas. You can change it up all sorts of different ways and make it more or less spicy based on your personal taste.

Another fajita staple is refried beans. I make a huge pot of 'soup beans' a couple times a year and use the leftovers to make refried beans. Then, I freeze them in small containers to serve later.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I will typically put my fajita meat on a large salad and call it a meal most of the time. Other times, I will stir fry a variety of veggies to go with it.
  • murphey21
    murphey21 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ended up making the fajitas and stuffing them with veggies and didn't make a side and was stuffed. Took leftovers the next day for lunch and made a salad!