Monthly Gift *** Post for ladies only :-D

Options
I have been known to gain and loose 10lbs the week leading up to and during that time of the month.

Basically, I bloat up like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Is this normal? What can I do to not gain so MUCH! I know it eventually goes away but it is actually uncomfortable and sort of plays mind tricks on me. I am not on the pill (and never will be for personal reasons).

Tips, advice, tricks?

Boys, if you clicked... Sorry but I did say "Ladies only"

-K8

Replies

• SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I have been known to gain and loose 10lbs the week leading up to and during that time of the month.

Basically, I bloat up like Violet from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Is this normal? What can I do to not gain so MUCH! I know it eventually goes away but it is actually uncomfortable and sort of plays mind tricks on me. I am not on the pill (and never will be for personal reasons).

Tips, advice, tricks?

Boys, if you clicked... Sorry but I did say "Ladies only"

-K8

I had the same issue last week...TOM was in town and I was pisssed lol. I've read that you should'nt eat too much sodium because that is why we get bloated alot more during that time. Make sure to drink plenty of water and dont weigh yourself that week cause it can irritate you and make you think twice lol. Sorry to hear, it will all drop off! :)
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Hey girly!! I tend to gain quite a bit too... I try to keep my sodium down and drink water like a fish! I also started taking cinnamon capsules and I think it helped a lot! I took them one day into TOM and lost all the weight I gained. I am gonna try it again next month and see what happens =)
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon capsules?! Do tell! :)
  • Vkoons3
    Vkoons3 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i gain some water weight. then towards the end i have to pee like every 10 minutes and i loose it all. it didn't happen this week though i've been working with no a/c and a 500 degree oven running hit 105 in there yesterday.
  • LexyDawn
    LexyDawn Posts: 113
    Options
    This might be hard, but it was advice from my doctor adn I notice a huge difference when I actually do it:

Don't consume any dairy, caffeine, salt or alcohol the week before your period. Also stay hydrated.

The salt part is hard, so instead of not consuming any, try to limit it as much as possible.

When I am able to do this, I notice a difference in my bloating, mood, and I'm not nearly as tired.
  • running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually gain 3-5 during the week before and through out the actual week I lose it. It totally sucks but I try to drink as much water and stay away from the salty snacks!
  • midwesthiker
    midwesthiker Posts: 144
    Options
    I gain 3-5 pounds too. I have noticed if I drink a lot more water it tends to be a smaller gain. I also try to keep sodium down too. My doctor told me to just plan for this weight gain and "ignore it" because it happens to everyone, which is not what I wanted to hear.
  • Prestonsmumma
    Prestonsmumma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    sorry what what does 'BUMP' mean?? lol :0))
  • DarkDiva2005
    DarkDiva2005 Posts: 140
    Options
    bump
  • themrs08
    themrs08 Posts: 87
    Options
    I get in a really bad mood and don't want to do anything....which is how I'm feeling today. And the first couple of days, I feel totally drained....
    Any advice on how to beat that?
  • koukla702
    koukla702 Posts: 171
    Options
    I drink lots n lots of water - it surprisingly makes me feel lighter. I also avoid morning coffee too. Just ended thank goodness and the scale dropped as I had suspected!

Regarding the cinnamon pills - I read an article somewhere that there is a component in cinnamon that helps you lose weight - it was pretty informative, but i can't for the life of me remember where i found it.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I get in a really bad mood and don't want to do anything....which is how I'm feeling today. And the first couple of days, I feel totally drained....
    Any advice on how to beat that?

There was a girl on here that did a TON of research on metabolism and her cycle. Basically, she found that during her luteal (ovulating) phase, her metabolism revved up significantly. Then, slowed way down at the end of her cycle/start of a new cycle. I am wondering if this is what you are experiencing?

She adjusted her caloric intake to account for this, eating more during luteal, eating less during her period, and started to see a better weight loss and more even energy level.

I might have gotten all of these details wrong by the way. LOL. You should search for it - it was such an interesting post!
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I drink lots n lots of water - it surprisingly makes me feel lighter. I also avoid morning coffee too. Just ended thank goodness and the scale dropped as I had suspected!

Regarding the cinnamon pills - I read an article somewhere that there is a component in cinnamon that helps you lose weight - it was pretty informative, but i can't for the life of me remember where i found it.
    My mother n law told me they helped with bloating so I bought them the day after I started. I was 187 on Sunday and am 183 today. I assume they helped =)
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    *Bump* is just another post on the thread which kicks it back up to the top of the board. If no-one posts to a thread for a while it gets overtaken by other threads which have been replied to more recently.

*Bump* is just something people post to make sure the thread stays near the top / on the front page.
  • skinnyrache
    skinnyrache Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I also really struggle and have wondered what others have done. I've never weighed myself during that time, simply because I just FEEL heavy and given my fragile mood during that time it is best to just not even know! :wink: One of the things that really drives me crazy though is my extreme lack of motivation. The whole week before and week of I don't feel like doing ANYTHING workout-wise. I'll have to try to drink more water and see if that helps.
  • Grumpelina
    Grumpelina Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I also really struggle and have wondered what others have done. I've never weighed myself during that time, simply because I just FEEL heavy and given my fragile mood during that time it is best to just not even know! :wink: One of the things that really drives me crazy though is my extreme lack of motivation. The whole week before and week of I don't feel like doing ANYTHING workout-wise. I'll have to try to drink more water and see if that helps.

Rubbish the week before, rubbish the week during - that's pretty much half of the month! Story of my life...
  • Prestonsmumma
    Options
    *Bump* is just another post on the thread which kicks it back up to the top of the board. If no-one posts to a thread for a while it gets overtaken by other threads which have been replied to more recently.

*Bump* is just something people post to make sure the thread stays near the top / on the front page.

Thanx now i understand!! i thought everyone was preggers or something?? lmao :blushing:
  • Prestonsmumma
    Options

I am defo giving those cinnemon pills a go, see if it helps me during that time!! and try my best to drink more water!!! really struggling with drinking more water, anyone have any good tips to help me drink more??? :bigsmile:
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think I read that cinnamon is high in iron too, so even better around your period :happy: