What do you Americans eat for Thanksgiving??

Options

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Depends on the family. For Thanksgiving it is usually much of the same:

Turkey
    Mashed potatoes or/and Scalloped potatoes
    rolls of some kind
    homemade mac and cheese
    homemade chicken noodles or noodle dumplings
    A few different veggies
    A pumpkin roll or pie
    Apple pie and my in laws have rice krispy treats

Christmas varies a lot and we have several spread out over a week or 2
    in laws are very much the same except last few yrs they have made a prime rib instead of turkey
    One of grandma's does a ham
    The other does either pasta dishes and Italian sausage or breakfast
    My mom usually does something small the day off.
    My dad does a different small dinner the weekend before.
  • nicolebaugh518
    nicolebaugh518 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    When you say rolls do you mean like bread buns?? Thats strange to me to have a bread bun with what we call "Sunday dinner". Also do you eat pumpkin pie or is that a stereotype??

Yeah. Most people eat pumpkin pie, but I don't find it appealing. I prefer sweet potato pie

Can't stand either. This is why we always have 2 desserts: pumpkin pie and something else. The something else more often than not is apple or cranberry-apple pie. I'll probably make a cranberry cheesecake this year.

Man, I want cheesecake this Thanksgiving.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,144 Member
    Options
    adbhmb wrote: »
    The proper question is: "what don't Americans eat for Thanksgiving?"

I agree!! It is hard for me to understand the amount of food available during the holidays in some household. All that food shopping, prepping and washing make my head spin. My meals are and were always simple and with only 2 or "maybe" 3 sides dishes plus the cranberry and/or apple sauce. I never had appetizers with the exception of veggies and some dip, and desert was always a frozen yogurt and fruit pie, unless somebody brought something else. I got full just reading at some of the menus posted in this Forum.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    altygirl wrote: »
    Oh and my first taste of pumpkin pie was a big disappointment! I'm not sure what I expected .... I bake one if the family want one but they're just as likely to ask for an apple pie or apple crumble.

I had never had a pumpkin pie made from a fresh pumpkin until I was an adult. I could not believe how different it tasted from a pie made with canned pumpkin, which I have never liked. I love a fresh pumpkin pie.

i havent eaten any type of pumpkin yet, so intrigued how this pumpkin pie will taste. the other one intriguing me is peanut butter pie. I love peanut butter but not sure how that one will taste.

Peanut Butter Pie, The hell you say I might have to do some research I like peanut butter.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I'm making a turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, stuffing and devilled eggs for Thanksgiving

For Christmas, I'm making a ham, grilled red potatoes in butter with parsley, green beans with grape tomatoes and devilled eggs.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I love Filipino Thanksgiving dinners!!
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being Filipino, my family eats a lot of Filipino food that we don't eat a lot of on a regular basis.

Dinaguan
    Lechon
    Sisig
    Palabok
    Kare kare
    Pinakbet

And the assortment of desserts too. Since our family is big, we pot luck it and everyone is designated to bring a dish.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    My family generally eats the same stuff for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter dinners. Turkey, ham, green beans, deviled eggs, mashed potatoes, and rolls. Thanksgiving we add sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie. The only thing I get really excited for is cranberry sauce. I'm the only one who really likes it though. Turkey is just ok and I never eat the pumpkin pie because I have celiac disease and I don't think it's a tasty enough pie to go to the trouble of making a gluten free crust for. A lot of Americans do seem to feel you can't have Thanksgiving without turkey and pumpkin pie though.
  • healthy_hermione
    healthy_hermione Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    For thanksgiving we have turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, mixed vegetables, and pumpkin pie with whipped cream and a scoop of ice cream. Sometimes yams and cranberry sauce for my dad since he's the only one that likes it.

For Christmas I prefer having the same thing but sometimes we will have chicken or ham instead.

Now I'm hungry lol
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    adbhmb wrote: »
    The proper question is: "what don't Americans eat for Thanksgiving?"

hahahaa yes
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Well, here is my plan for this year:

Thanksgiving:
    Extended family meal (Thanksgiving afternoon: Out at a restaurant because it's simply become too much work otherwise, especially with Christmas so close.
    Friends meal (Thanksgiving night): Not sure on all the plans, but turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, fresh green beans, stuffing, dumplings, and whatever everyone else brings.
    My meal (the Monday after Thanksgiving): Turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, rolls, gravy, and pumpkin pie.

Christmas Eve:
    Lasagna, Alfredo, salad, bread sticks, some sort of dessert

Christmas Day:
    No idea right now. Usually consists of 2 meats (beef roast and something else, sometimes lamb, other times ham) and a bunch of sides like mashed potatoes, corn casserole, rolls and the like. Always have a bunch of desserts.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I have made Thanksgiving dinner for like the past 7-8 years. My menu goes like this:

Shrimp and cocktail sauce
    Meatballs
    Celery and cream cheese
    Turkey and sausage stuffing
    Cheesy broccoli casserole
    Sweet potatoes with marshmallows
    Dinner rolls
    Mashed potatoes
    Pumpkin roll (Never any pumpkin pie. BLECH.)
    And this year it will be a blueberry-oatmeal-crumb dessert
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    My family is traditional, we have turkey on Thanksgiving, ham on Christmas, ham for Easter. All the meals are pretty equal in quantity of food but Thanksgiving is definitely more centered around indulging than the other holidays. We make pumpkin, pecan, mincemeat, pecan cream cheese, and apple cranberry pies on Thanksgiving. Easter and Christmas desserts are more like cookies and creative assorted desserts vs. pies.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Is it similar to Christmas dinner??

for both holidays most americans eat.....everything in sight then lay on the couch w their pants undone and watch football. Its not a very pretty sight.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Wow! So would you all say Thanksgiving is the biggest feast of the year or still Christmas?

All American holidays focus on food, barbeques, buffets, candy. chocolate or whatever...its really very sad./
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Wow! So would you all say Thanksgiving is the biggest feast of the year or still Christmas?

All American holidays focus on food, barbeques, buffets, candy. chocolate or whatever...its really very sad./
    I disagree with this. For me and my family, the primary focus of the holidays is family and friends.

ETA: If it was just food, we wouldn't waste the time or money to travel the 8+ hours to see family. We would just cook good food at our house.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

I disagree with this. For me and my family, the primary focus of the holidays is family and friends.

ETA: If it was just food, we wouldn't waste the time or money to travel the 8+ hours to see family. We would just cook good food at our house.

+1

Thanksgiving is based on a harvest feast, so sure the food bit is important, but hardly the only thing (and I think it's usually a reasonably healthy meal). Plus, there are commonly physical traditional associated with them -- Turkey Trots or family activities outdoors, depending on the weather and the group. Christmas, Easter, the 4th, the 1st may have food traditions associated with them, but for my family and friends food is certainly not the central thing. Even Christmas where there are endless parties leading up to it has many elements (the religious, gift giving) that seem to me much more central.
  • wolfsbayne2
    wolfsbayne2 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm in Texas and we don't have turkey every year because not everyone likes it. We do have either cornbread dressing with chicken or duck dressing, chicken n dumplings, ham, broccoli rice casserole, green bean casserole, turnip greens, rolls, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, pecan pie, chocolate pie, and usually a fruit salad.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Is it similar to Christmas dinner??

for both holidays most americans eat.....everything in sight then lay on the couch w their pants undone and watch football. Its not a very pretty sight.

That's a stereotype. My very traditional family doesn't watch TV nor unbutton our pants after eating. We sit at the dinner table and talk to my grandparents or play with the kids or go outside and actually play football or bags.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    acheben wrote: »

agreed
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dawnz75 wrote: »
    Last year we stayed home for Thanksgiving and opted for stuffed pizza for dinner! We also watched the movie "Free Birds" and laughed with our mid aged kids. But we usually eat the above: turkey, potatoes with gravy, veggie, stuffing, etc.

I actually have my first turkey in the oven this morning! I purchase abut 3-4 turkeys at this time of year and make one a month throughout the fall/winter. It is rainy here so at 50 cents a pound turkey is a great option; turkey noodle soup is on the menu for tomorrow!

My favorite part of turkey are the leftovers: turkey noodle soup, turkey chili, just meat for sandwiches, salads, etc...

What do you do with your turkey leftovers?

I usually make some green chile turkey stew and then save some turkey for sandwiches. i love turkey sandwiches.