Should I be taking a multi-vitamin?

Options
Should I be taking a multi-vitamin? Is it as helpful as they say and would it benifit my weight loss? I have never really taken them, but it has been suggested to me to take them. Advice and input would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• tbakerwa
    tbakerwa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have always been a fan of vitamins, and I know there are lots of "experts" who say they should be taken. Just the other day, however, my husbands doctor told him he doesn't feel there is a big benefit from vitamins. He said if it was someone out at sea for months at a time, there may be some benefit, but an average person should be getting the vitamins and minerals they need from the food they eat. I would suggest talking to your doctor (or nurse) about them as I don't know if there are weight loss benefits attributed to vitamins......
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Those on a reduce calorie diet, should take vitamins.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I still do- However, I quit for a while cuz I thought I was eating better and didn't need them.
    Still not eating like I should- so I started back on them ( and whether or not it was a coincidence or not- I started losing more steadily once again)

Also- if you didn't realize it- some have calories and fats in them- which ( imo) is a good idea to log too- as your body is counting it.
  • thaismoreira
    thaismoreira Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Excess of water soluble vitamin are eliminated in your urine. There is no health concerns in consume more than you need, just financial concern. The problem is lipophylic vitamins, they can be toxic when ingested in high doses. Read the labels and talk with your doctor.
  • BreadandInk
    BreadandInk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would not rely on a doctor to tell me whether or not I should take a multivitamin. If you are on a raw diet, then perhaps you wouldn't need one; however, most of us eat a combination of foods, some of which are processed and cooked. Many nutrients are lost in the process. Doctors are not nutritionists. In fact, they learn very little about nutrition and a whole lot about drugs. They also benefit from prescribing drugs. Doctors are meant to fuel the pharmaceutical industry, not the natural health industry. My best advice: talk to a nutritionist or dietitian. These people will give more accurate advice with detailed explanations. I personally believe strongly in the use of supplements because I have experienced the difference. I highly recommend that you be very selective with brands if you want to benefit from them. I use New Chapter and MegaFoods. They are both fantastic.

Most doctors mean well, but they only know what they've been taught. I don't trust it at all.

Cheers!
  • BreadandInk
    BreadandInk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would not rely on a doctor to tell me whether or not I should take a multivitamin. If you are on a raw diet, then perhaps you wouldn't need one; however, most of us eat a combination of foods, some of which are processed and cooked. Many nutrients are lost in the process. Doctors are not nutritionists. In fact, they learn very little about nutrition and a whole lot about drugs. They also benefit from prescribing drugs. Doctors are meant to fuel the pharmaceutical industry, not the natural health industry. My best advice: talk to a nutritionist or dietitian. These people will give more accurate advice with detailed explanations. I personally believe strongly in the use of supplements because I have experienced the difference. I highly recommend that you be very selective with brands if you want to benefit from them. I use New Chapter and MegaFoods. They are both fantastic.

Most doctors mean well, but they only know what they've been taught. I don't trust it at all.

Cheers!