Cottage Cheese Ideas?

Options
chris0912
chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
So I really like cottage cheese as a between-meals snack. I'm not wild about it by itself though. My normal way of eating it is on a salad or mixing in some fruit or jam. However, on days when I'm running low on carbs I can't do the fruit or jam thing. Any suggestions for add-ins to make it more of a savory thing, instead of a sweet thing?

Replies

• cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I like it best with a sprinkle of black pepper. YUM!
  • HollyLLillis
    HollyLLillis Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I like to add sunflower seeds, or I add a little bit of Catalina fat free dressing in it to spice it up.... :drinker:
  • CooCoo
    CooCoo Posts: 14
    Options
    My sister likes to mix up a packet of Jello and while it is still liquified, mix in some cottage cheese.
  • rowdymcrowdy
    Options
    add two tbsp of low fat thousand island dressing and mix it :glasses:
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Take 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbsp skim milk and place in food processor to make into a creamy sauce. Take 4 hard boiled eggs whites and 1 egg yolk, mix it together, add some celery and cucumbers, sprinkle with curry powder.. DELICOUS and VERY low calorie. Its a healthy version of egg salad and tastes even better than the fattening stuff.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    try adding a little bit of salsa
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The Moosewood Cookbook has a great cottage cheese recipe.

March Hare:

3 cups cottage cheese
    2Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
    1/4 cup lightly toasted sunflower seeds
    1 medium carrot diced very small
    1 medium sized ripe tomato diced
    1 scallion whites and greens, minced
    1 small bell pepper, any color, minced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1 small cucumber peeled, seeded and minced
    1/2 cup (packed) finely minced parsley
    a handful or two of alfalfa sprouts
    2 - 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice (to taste)
    salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
    1 - 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped (optional)

Combine and chill.

I've made this and it's quite tasty. I've also made mini versions for just myself with only 1 or 2 of the extra ingredients. I like carrots the best, because they're nice and crunchy.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried cottage cheese yet, but these sounds like good ideas....
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Take 1/4 cup cottage cheese, 1 tbsp skim milk and place in food processor to make into a creamy sauce. Take 4 hard boiled eggs whites and 1 egg yolk, mix it together, add some celery and cucumbers, sprinkle with curry powder.. DELICOUS and VERY low calorie. Its a healthy version of egg salad and tastes even better than the fattening stuff.

oooh, must try.
  • sunshinelubsyou
    Options
    take the cottage chesse and add a few berries to it.
  • inafit16177
    Options
    Bump
  • grits317
    grits317 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My most favorite cotage cheese is the breakstone 1/2 cup serving cups. I love to take one of those and eat alone or mix in a bowl of plain oatmeal. It looks like baby puke, but it's so good!!!
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    I strain it, and add it to very lean ground turkey with an egg white and some seasoning. Form into bugers and bake.
    The cheese adds texture and flavor without a ton of fat (as long as your using low fat cheese)
  • jenfitz34
    jenfitz34 Posts: 31
    Options
    bump
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    dreamy cottage cheese:

mix 8oz of cottage cheese with 8oz cool whip & 1 pkg of jello mix (any flavor, *but cherry is best ~yum!)
    chill until firm!!

i like to use fat free cool whip, sugar free jello, & low fat cottage cheese to keep the calories down
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my bf just likes it with a few canned peaches slices on it
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I like mine savory with pepper or thousand island but some of these other recipies sound delicious.
  • daffy37
    daffy37 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi...I just add about a teaspoon of dry jello and mix it up. Daffy
  • Julietski
    Julietski Posts: 4
    Options
    I like to add one single-serving of mandarin oranges (no sugar added) with the juice and sprinkle with some chopped pecans. It's a cottage cheese sundae! I don't know if that messes with your carbs, but it is great for a sweet tooth.