Depressed over lack of motivation -- in need of support

Options
Today was the day. I pulled out my summer clothes and attempted to fit in them since it feels like it's 100 degrees out... None of them fit. It was really depressing and I realized that I need to do something about it. I feel like I am ready to just break down. I keep saying that I will lose weight and then when it comes time to go to the gym, I just feel so tired and lazy. I work 40+ hours a week, take care of my great grandmother, run my own household, and attend college full time (in addition to working full time) during the fall and spring. I know losing weight is not easy, but I feel like I'm just waiting for the pounds to fall off on their own. I am afraid that I am going to let this depression take over and gain more weight instead of losing any. Any support or advice would be appreciated. Thank you!!!

Replies

• Dellonious1
    Dellonious1 Posts: 209
    Options
    Add me as a friend..Together we can give support and advice...Best of luck to you...
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Thankfully with MFP it reduces your caloric intake so you can lose without tons of excercise. focus on healthy eating, whole foods, raw fruits and veggies and that will also help. Avoiding processed things will reduce your sodium and cut your water retention. Take it one step at a time, then when you do have 20-30 min for yourself go for a walk. It can be you time and workout time
  • khadijak17
    khadijak17 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    hey don't be so hard on yourself! your a very busy person looks like you have alot going on my advice would be for you to concentrate on eating better and if you have the time to start walking......maybe walking to the shops or college?? you don't need to go straight to the gym! Start of with the healthy eating and gradually bring in the excercise if your fitness level improves you can tackle the gym aswell!! good luck!
  • rachaels7
    rachaels7 Posts: 20
    Options
    Hang in there. Steady does it. You have a lot on your plate. I would buy a couple outfits for warm weather that fit now and then keep on working on your weight. It takes a long time but just stay consistent and you'll see results.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    We can all use extra motivation so feel free to add me. We can motivate each other!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I work two jobs for a total of about 65 hours a week, but I still do this. Make yourself a priority. Log your food. Invest in a food scale and measuring cups/spoons. You can do this!
  • yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I count carbs and calories. I try to keep my carbs low, no more than 30 a day, and only do cardio for about 20-30 minutes a few times a week. I use headphones to occupy myself while doing cardio (usually just power walking). I have lost about 9 pounds this way.

I also hang a peice of clothing that doesnt fit on my wall or somewhere I will see every day. It reminds me that I WILL fit into it again.
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Sometimes jumping in the deep water is just too much! Maybe you should try starting with the food logging and doing little things like parking further out in the parking lots, taking a flight of stairs instead of the elevator. When a few pounds start to fall and you're moving a little more than usual, you'll feel your energy increase as well as your will power and desire
    Good Luck and know you'll find some great support and motivation here!
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    I just went thru a really depressing week myself, hated myself for it but my boyfriend<3 says every day is a new one so if not today start tommorow and never stop trying!!!
  • robcheshire
    Options
    hey, just remember that each day is a small step and dont look at the Hill Top......look at the path just infront of you and the steps you just have to take one at a time.

regards Rob:happy:
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I count carbs and calories. I try to keep my calories low, no more than 30 a day, and only do cardio for about 20-30 minutes a few times a week. I use headphones to occupy myself while doing cardio (usually just power walking). I have lost about 9 pounds this way.

I also hang a peice of clothing that doesnt fit on my wall or somewhere I will see every day. It reminds me that I WILL fit into it again.

Great advice but I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be 30g of carbs NOT 30 calories!!! :wink:
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Aww, I know how you feel about the clothes not fitting. And about the lack of motivation. I know one person above mentioned that you should make your health a priority and they're right, that's exactly what you have to do! I graduated from college last year and realized I had put my schoolwork ahead of taking care of myself and that's not good in the long run.

Another thing I had to realize is that I'm not perfect and can't expect myself to be. I would try to go on a "diet", mess it up by indulging a little over the weekend, and then give up because I thought one mistake meant I had to quit. Dont quit! Every day is a new day and everyone messes up sometimes.

As far as motivation for working out (this is one I'm still working on), I've found that having someone to go with really helps. When someone else is depending on you to go with them, it kinda guilt trips you to go when you don't feel like it :-) After awhile, when you start making it a part of your routine, you realize that you actually look forward to working out because it makes you feel good! Physically and mentally.

I hope that helps! We're all in this together. The only thing you can do wrong is quit so don't give up!!
  • msronnell
    msronnell Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hang in there, many of us feel the same way you do at this moment. It may take a while, but you will start to feel better. Find some safe goals and friend several people here to help keep each other motivated.... Just remember to take it one day at a time, one moment at a time. oh & by the way, I havent fit into my summer clothes in years, so i just keep wearing my winter ones during the summer too. Important thing is I'm still here & still working on it little by little. Besides, i guess I'll burn a few calories if i'm a little warmer. :)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Well I have had tons of medication and gained all of my weight from meds. Recently for depression. I can tell you one thing doing something anything is better than gaining weight. So if thats just eating right do that. If you can make yourself go for a walk good. Even if you start seeing small changes you will be encouraged.

Sometimes I think we want to see results over night and that could be a big problem. It all takes time. My journey is taking me a year. And I'm okay with that because a year ago I was SO unhappy with my overall health not just my weight

Anyway I hope that helps
  • yesenia195p
    yesenia195p Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I count carbs and calories. I try to keep my calories low, no more than 30 a day, and only do cardio for about 20-30 minutes a few times a week. I use headphones to occupy myself while doing cardio (usually just power walking). I have lost about 9 pounds this way.

Great advice but I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be 30g of carbs NOT 30 calories!!! :wink:

Thanks for fixing that! Hahaha