Terrible knee pain! I can't run or w/o how I want/need

Options
Help!?! I have terrible knee pain since I've tried getting back to running on the treadmill ;(. It's been hurt for about two weeks now n not going away. I want to run like I did b4 pregnacy I want to lose this weight but my knees are holding me back. They just hurt they hurt to the point if I Evan press on the bones with my hands it feels like I'm hammering my knee! The rite side is so much worse. How can I get this pain to go away? So I can get back to normal running? I didn't get hurt. They just started hurting on their own. HVe any of u had this problem? What's helped? Any advice?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stop running. See a doctor.
    In the meantime it might be ok to do exercises in the pool.
    Do upper body weights in the gym.
    Also look on YouTube for "body weight" exercises that you can do on the floor or mat.
    Buy gel packs at the drug store or Walmart and follow instructions to "ice" your knees a few times a day to reduce inflammation.
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Ice your knees with LARGE bags of ice a few times a day. And what helped me was getting a referral from the doctor to physical therapy.
  • Cidalia1173
    Cidalia1173 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else said. Do not be in any hurry to run again. There are other ways to get in a workout. Weights/Strength training are a good way to burn calories and firm up. Aquatic exercise / swimming is also excellent.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You really, really need to see a doctor and possibly get an MRI. You don't want to mess with your knees. I started getting knee pain and had an MRI and found I have almost full thickness ulceration of the cartlidge. If I'd kept working out on them I could have done irreversable damage. Now I have exercises to do, know when to quit, and know what I can and can't do without issue.

Until them, do things that don't make your knee hurt, like swimming (though even kicking made mine hurt at its worst).
  • twinsbabyweight
    twinsbabyweight Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I agree that it probably needs to be looked at by a doctor. In the meantime, Osteobiflex or something similar may add some natural cushion in your joints. May be worth checking into. I take it from time to time when my knee joints start hurting.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    If swimming isn't an option, rowing and cycling might work too.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    When I was 20 I had knee pain. I went to the doctor and he told me I had runners knee and to stop running. I still run 41 years later, but I cut down from running 60 miles a week to about 8 miles a week. Go to the doctor and have it checked out. It might not be the end of your running, and they might be able to give you leg strengthening exercises to do to get your legs stronger so you can go back to jogging. Runner's knee is a wearing of the cartilage off of the back of your patella, or kneecap. It's a very common problem in women runners. Good luck and let us know what the doctor finds.
  • casandra_zamarripa
    casandra_zamarripa Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! Unfortunately I am now living in Mexico and I do NOT trust the doctors here (Bad experience) so seeing a doctor I can't do ;( Untill I move back to the United States (In about a year from now) So I will def take in considerating all that you have said and try other things vitamins and doing things easy to not hurt myself any more <3 I took the day off from the gym today to relax a little from some of the pain. I will go back tomarrow! Wish me lots of luck ;)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You'll need more than luck. Don't skip the icing suggestion. And you are going to have to lay off the knee work for perhaps a year.