Gymnastics

Options
Do any adults in the forum participate in gymnastics?

Recently I have returned to gymnastics after about 12 years off, and absolutely love it. Tumbling, conditioning, stretching, strengthening, etc. are my absolute favourite things to do; it's like returning to childhood before keeping fit became at all like a chore or a struggle.

Although it doesn't burn as many calories as some other activities, it does build a lot of strength and muscle, and it's FUN movement. For me, that's an important factor: "Does this exercise make me smile?" All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy, you know.

So, MFP community, do you do gymnastics? Did you previously? Or have you considered going (back) to do it?

Would you do an exercise purely based on the fun factor, and not the calorie burn?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My son did gymnastics and loved it. He got a great workout and also became very strong. Do what you love to do- it'll keep you young.
  • Chaidell
    Chaidell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did gymnastics when I was a kid. If I had a gym near me, I would definitely consider going back to it because it was something that I loved!
  • rrcoffey
    rrcoffey Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I never took gymnastics as a kid, though I always wanted to. My backhandspring was self taught and very poorly executed - LOL! But, I did take an adult class a couple years ago and it was SO much fun! It really was a great workout for conditioning and core strength. I stopped going for scheduling reasons, but I did enjoy the workout, without the "work." :)
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did it when I was a kid. I stopped when it became a choice between school or training. I don't think I would like to test myself with it. I think I would be frustrated by not being able to do things that once were easy.
    All that oxidation that was fire, now is rust, lol.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I would love to return to it! I do some fast stuff in the seasons where the grass is soft and the ground is nice, but I always pay for it the with back problems I have now :( I really hate that. It's so fun!

I am still trying to add some slow stuff (like walkovers, etc) into what I do each week, but so far my back only lets me do one a week :lol: One's better than none.