8 months prego, 27lb gain and looking for stories of fellow moms

Options
This is my first child, and I'm not a fan of feeling big. I know I'm gonna have to work hard after baby to lose my gain.. but could some fellow pregnant mom's share ideas with me about their progress?

Replies

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, out of the 25 lbs I gained, 15 lbs came off the day after my soon was born. It might not seem like it, but there's a loooooot of fluid in there. Plus the baby, the placenta, the weight of swollen boobs, etc.

However, the reason I'm here is the choices I made post-partum. Now I am working hard to get rid of the weight I've gained from that. The most simplest way is CICO. Calories in, calories out. Eat less than you burn and you will lose weight.

You're going to be so tired from taking care of a newborn you won't feel like exercising, but you can lose weight just by eating better.
  • Assassina
    Assassina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I gained close to 30 lbs with my first. I lost almost all of it within the first week! I was breastfeeding. But it was mostly fluid, swelling. Don't worry too much. Just eat right, drink plenty of water, and you'll do just fine! It was hard for me because it was C-section, so I couldn't move around too much. But, now my baby is almost 3 months and I'm just now getting to actually workout. I've been at my pre-pregnancy weight for a while now, so i'm more than determined to keep going! You got this!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I gained 50lbs with my first, a week after the birth I was down 24lbs ..lost another 14lbs breastfeeding with no effort or attention at all

Don't worry about it ...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I gained 56 pounds with both my kids. Take care of yourself and eat well after. I tried to lose weight quickly after both and ended up doing more harm than good.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I kept 12lbs after my first (50lbs gain)
    And 14lbs after my second (26lbs gain)

There is no indication on weight loss after birth IMO

Enjoy your baby ...
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Gained 42 pounds with my first, I was over weight before getting pregnant with him and literally got to my highest weight ever during my pregnancy with him. When I left the hospital I'd lost 20 pounds. My second son I refused to gain as much, but I refused to neglect myself or him either. I gained 27 pounds and lost 20 of it within the first month. Your body will likely never look or feel the same (to you) but that isn't a big deal. Just take care of yourself now and save yourself the hard work after.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was thinner after 3 months of breastfeeding than I was when I found out I was pregnant. Exhaustion is a great weight loss tool. Just take care of yourself and focus on eating healthy for yourself and the baby! And enjoy that newborn stage--it lasts such a short time and you have plenty of time to worry about your weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just had my 2nd baby in January. I carefully tracked my calories and logged everyday (and went over quite frequently, lol). I gained just under 25 lbs, which is healthy for my BMI.

4 days after delivery I was only down 8.6 lbs, and my baby was 7 lbs... so... lol
    17 weeks post-partum I was back to pre-pregnancy weight. I continued to log, but I didn't start cutting calories until 8 weeks and I didn't start any exercising until I got the all clear from my OB at 6 weeks.

Don't worry about it. Give your body time to heal, keep logging to keep up the habit and enjoy your newborn!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had my first five years ago and gained a lot. I started pregnancy at 160lbs and just before I gave birth I was 215. I only breastfed exclusively for three months and quit by 6months postpartum. I did not do anything about the weight but naturally dropped to 190 and gained 20lbs over the last 4 years. I just had my second baby 3 months ago but before I got pregnant I dropped 20lbs so started this pregnancy at 190lbs. When I gave birth I was 240lbs. By 4 weeks pp I was 220lbs. I am exclusively breastfeeding and plan to do it a lot longer this time. At two months postpartum I began tracking calories and going to the gym 5 times a week doing group fitness classes. I have been at this 37 days now and am down 18lbs. Breastfeeding helps with the weightloss but can be tricky to figure out how many calories you need with out compromising your milk supply. I bounced between 1500 and 2000 before finally settling on 1680 plus adding -300 for breastfeeding into my food diary.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 27 pounds is completely normal. There's a baby in there, a placenta, amniotic fluid, more fluid in your body in general. I wouldn't be surprised if you were back to your pre-pregnancy weight within a week or two.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My first pregnancy I was at a healthy weight to start and gained about 45lbs..you would never know by looking at me.. and I would imagine it was mostly water since it came on fast right at the end. Also within the first week pp I was down 22lbs (my baby was 6lbs 11oz). It took about 3-4 months to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight (I wasn't tracking or working out but bf'ing exclusively), and it took 9 months to get back to a body composition I was happy with.

This time I am gaining around the same, I am not tracking but keeping very active. Like the others said, try not to worry too much and enjoy this special time :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »
    Yeah, 27 pounds is completely normal. There's a baby in there, a placenta, amniotic fluid, more fluid in your body in general. I wouldn't be surprised if you were back to your pre-pregnancy weight within a week or two.

This
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Right now, concentrate on growing a healthy baby. You'll have plenty of time later to worry about your weight.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Doctors recommend that you gain 25-35 pounds with a normal pregnancy. There's baby weight, placenta, amniotic fluid, additional blood volume, breast milk. If you are 27 pounds now and have a month to go, expect to gain at least another 5 pounds. The baby should gain a pound a week at this stage of development.

You're gaining a normal amount of weight, don't sweat it. Most of it will be lost within a few weeks after the birth.
    I gained 70 pounds with my first, then got pregnant again five months later. I gained 40 pounds with that one. Six weeks after he was born, I was 30 pounds overweight. With diet and exercise, I lost that in less than a year.

You'll be fine, relax and enjoy your baby.
  • WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I gained almost 40lb with my first (I was super swollen). I didn't do much to lose the weight after he was born, but I did breastfeed him for almost 15 months. I lost all but about 5lb. With my daughter, I only gained 15lb (no swelling this time) and was 10lb below my pre pregnancy weight at 8 weeks. She was a voracious eater, and still nurses once or twice a day at 14 months.

One thing that no one seems to mention is that if you breastfeed your baby, you will be STARVING all the time. You actually require more calories when you are exclusively breastfeeding than when you are pregnant. I couldn't believe how hungry I was. So don't be surprised if this happens, and don't worry about it. They say that since it takes 9 months to put the weight on, it isn't unreasonable for it to take 9 months to lose it. Enjoy your baby and congrats!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Your weight gain seems pretty normal. My first preg I put on 10kg and delivered @35wks. When she came home from hospital 2 weeks old I was back to pre preg weight. I put on weight through lack of exercise and food choices when she was 3-6 months, prior to that exclusive breastfeeding meant I could eat whatever I wanted and not put on weight, though as breastfeeding reduced my consumption of food did not (and it was xmas at the same time).

2nd preg I put on the same amount of weight to full term and that was off in 4 days. No idea for the 3rd preg. Though I started off lighter than the previous 2, weight was less of a priority as my 3rd baby was a terrible sleeper, I got back into it when he was about 6 months old and got back to pre preg weight before he was 1 (pre preg for him was about 10kg lighter than pre preg for my first 2).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    espinaca33 wrote: »
    This is my first child, and I'm not a fan of feeling big. I know I'm gonna have to work hard after baby to lose my gain.. but could some fellow pregnant mom's share ideas with me about their progress?

Maybe you should talk to your doctor about what is a normal healthy gain during your pregnancy and your weight concerns.
    A woman who was average weight before getting pregnant should gain 25 to 35 pounds after becoming pregnant. Underweight women should gain 28 to 40 pounds. And overweight women may need to gain only 15 to 25 pounds during pregnancy.

In general, you should gain about 2 to 4 pounds during the first three months you're pregnant and 1 pound a week during the rest of your pregnancy. If you are expecting twins you should gain 35 to 45 pounds during your pregnancy. This would be an average of 1 ½ pounds per week after the usual weight gain in the first three months.
    from http://www.webmd.com/baby/guide/healthy-weight-gain

If you have gained 27 lbs that is pretty normal.
    Baby: 8 pounds
    Placenta: 2-3 pounds
    Amniotic fluid: 2-3 pounds
    Breast tissue: 2-3 pounds
    Blood supply: 4 pounds
    Stored fat for delivery and breastfeeding: 5-9 pounds
    Larger uterus: 2-5 pounds
    Total: 25-35 pounds

I don't remember exactly how much I gained with my dd but my weight was still up 20 lbs after she was born from my pre-pregnancy weight and I was still a healthy weight for my height.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I gained 33 lbs with my first....and 33 pounds with my second. Back 5 lbs below prepreggo weight after number 1 by 6 months post. With number two it took 10 months - but two is way busier than 1. Second pregnancy and delivery trashed my core, that set me back too. Honestly the weight wasn't the problem, it was the loss of function. After number two it took me about 4-5 months before I could do a sit up and he was a chunker so I had all this chronic back pain from carrying him and feeding him...but I'm two years out now and it's mostly good. Not quite the same but passable.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how much I gained in my pregnancies, probably about 35-40 lbs. Hard to say because I usually lose 10-15 in the first trimester and then gain quickly. The funny thing is though, that the end weight was 205 lbs for all three pregnancies. My body just liked to hit that point.

My kids were 8lb 6 oz, 8lb 12 oz, and 9 lbs.

Within two to three weeks of each pregnancy I lost 30 lbs and could wear my old "fat" clothes. Water weight or whatever. The day after giving birth I was usually around 20+ lbs lighter.

After that first month the weight was slow to come off. My body liked to hang onto it's fat while I was breastfeeding. Once the baby started eating foods other than breast milk, I started to regain some energy and lose a bit more weight.

Congrats. I hope your last month goes well. :)
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how much I gained in my pregnancies, probably about 35-40 lbs. Hard to say because I usually lose 10-15 in the first trimester and then gain quickly. The funny thing is though, that the end weight was 205 lbs for all three pregnancies. My body just liked to hit that point.

My kids were 8lb 6 oz, 8lb 12 oz, and 9 lbs.

Within two to three weeks of each pregnancy I lost 30 lbs and could wear my old "fat" clothes. Water weight or whatever. The day after giving birth I was usually around 20+ lbs lighter.

After that first month the weight was slow to come off. My body liked to hang onto it's fat while I was breastfeeding. Once the baby started eating foods other than breast milk, I started to regain some energy and lose a bit more weight.

Congrats. I hope your last month goes well. :)

Either you have big babies, or mine was just small, haha. My little guy was 7 lbs on the dot when he was born and left the hospital at 6 lbs something.