Losing weight, but not feeling like I'm losing weight...?

Options
I have lost a total of 13 pounds since my most recent heaviest weight. I was 232 and I am now 219. I see on the scale that I'm losing weight, but my clothes generally fit the same. I am not exercising aside from being on my feet all day at work. I noticed one of my work shirts feeling a tad looser, but my pants still feel the same. Am I just expecting too much too soon? Don't worry, I'm nowhere near ready to give up, I'm just looking for advice. Thanks!!!

Replies

• mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the amount of sodium I ingest. Also, if I don't drink enough water then I get kind of constipated (I know...tmi). So that means I'm bloated and my waist size is not normal.

Also too, you may be loosing it somewhere else on your body. That is why it is suggested that we take our measurements in the beginning.

But keep keeping on. A pound is a pound.. :wink:
  • taramitchell3210
    taramitchell3210 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't know how to do my measurements. And I bought these Marie Calendar meals for time constraint issues without reading the back of the box first. They all have at least 1,000mg of sodium each. Maybe that is a big part of my problem. Once they're gone, I'll get food with less sodium. Thank you!!!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Be patient. The weight is coming of successfully. Your body will change accordingly; it has to, as there is less of you. ;-)

As the other posted said, body measurements are a nice encouragement tool for progress. Don't measure directly after eating. Try to measure around clothes, not counting underwear. 1 to 2, even 4, weeks between measurements. Here is one list of methods for obtaining your measurements.

Measurements
    • Bust: Measure all the way around your bust and back on the line of your nipples.
    • Chest: Measure directly under your breasts, as high up as possible.
    • Waist: Measure at its narrowest point width-wise, usually just above the navel.
    • Hips: Measure around the widest part of the hipbones.
    • Thighs: Measure around 3 finger widths above knee while standing
    • Upper arm: Measure above your elbows 3 finger widths with arm extended.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I think I notice the difference in my clothing at about 20 lbs. Everyone is different. Keep doing what you are doing, it is obviously working for you. You will notice before too much longer. Also, take pictures. I don't feel any different because I see me everyday. When I do a side by side picture comparison in the same clothes, I can really see a difference.
  • taramitchell3210
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!!!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Patience is key :]
    You're clearly losing weight so just hang in there, keep doing what you're doing and remember - you should be proud of yourself. I also want to point out, we are our own biggest critics, give yourself a break and remind yourself how amazing you're doing!
  • taramitchell3210
    Options
    I started Zumba last night. It was exhausting, yet it felt good on a mental level. I am proud of myself. I started checking myself out last night and I think I can see a small difference in my belly!
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    just some quick advice as i started at 230lbs too. and went from a size 18 to a 9 so far. take a picture of yourself in the same clothes once a week! i had a lot of trouble seeing weight loss on myself in the mirror but could see it in the pictures. and when it got to the point that the outfit i was taking the pictures in was falling off me it felt great! i also had weeks where i wouldnt lose any scale weight but would see the biggest difference in the pictures so it helped to keep me motivated
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off in different parts of your body at different rates, depending on GENETICS. 13 lbs is a great start!! Your shirts are feeling looser, so that's great too. Sometimes I lose inches but not pounds and other times I lose pounds but not inches. Exercise and strength training will tighten up your muscles and help clothes to fit better. Just keep going and you will keep seeing results.
    67388953.png
  • taramitchell3210
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the encouraging words and advice. I really appreciate it and it's very motivational!
  • taramitchell3210
    Options
    I actually tried on a pair of jeans that were way too tight the last time I wore them. They are still too tight, but I think they look better than they did last time. I also put on a shirt that was way too tight in the belly last time. It's still right, but not as tight as last time. I'm getting there!!! I'm so excited!!! The shirt is something I would like to wear on Christmas. Maybe it'll look decent on me by then! :smiley:
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    For me nothing seemed to change for a month or two...then all of a sudden, it was like what happened? Where did I go. Time flies, honestly..be patient and in a few months you will see progress.