Cycle Class??

Options
Talk to me about a cycle class. I have never done one and I'm horribly out of shape right now. Will this be intimidating to a newbie? TIA

Replies

• michellepearson224
    Options
    Spin class is what got me back to fitness this year - I love it. It's great fun (don't get me wrong, it's hard work!) but if you get a good instructor they will give a range to suit all levels. Go for it - you won't regret it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    are you talking about spin? it's great exercise...i prefer cycling outdoors, but i do some spin in the winter months. i still remember my very first class and the instructor telling me, "remember...it's your ride"...meaning that i needed to go at my own personal abilities...which at the time meant that while others were standing on a hard climb, i was seated and using less resistance...wasn't sprinting as fast as more advanced riders, etc.

just remember, it's your ride...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,198 Member
    Options
    Spinning classes can be really good. A few aren't, but most of the ones I've done are.

1) Choose a beginner class.
    2) Insist that the instructor helps you set up the bicycle ... most will offer anyway. :)
    3) You can do your own thing. You do not have to do what the instructor suggests. So if you don't feel like doing the suggested activity, don't.
    4) But at the same time, you get out of it what you put into it.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I remember my first ride with Flywheel, a little bit nervous but you see people next to you either at a higher level or riding it out the same as you. Its motivating, just remember go at your pace and keep setting goals for yourself that you can ride at a higher torque, rpm, and keep challenging yourself!

Remember steady wins the race. Take it easy, go at a good pace and youll develop endurance and the feeling in your legs! Also have fun! :D
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    The one I was looking at does not have levels. Should this worry me? Also, how bad is this on the knees?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The one I was looking at does not have levels. Should this worry me? Also, how bad is this on the knees?

i've personally never seen levels at any commercial gym other than an intro class...

like i previously stated...just go and work to your own abilities...it's your ride.

go to your first class a little early and meet with the instructor and have them fit your bike and let them know you are a beginner...right down your numbers for later.
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Exactly what cwolfman said is right.

What I meant by levels is their pace, not an actual set of levels :) Many people in a spin do it to the best of their ability, some go at a steadier pace, some faster. Dont even worry about that, just ride and have fun to the best you can do.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I'm a certified spinning instructor! ANYONE can spin! Honestly, if you're instructor is good, she/he will tell you the first time to go at your own pace, and don't do anything you're not comfortable with. If your bike is set up properly it should NEVER hurt your knees. In fact, I have a few participants in my class recovering from knee injuries (that they acquired from other activities, not spinning). Also, the first time you go, your only goal should be to finish the class...Just pedaling...Not even doing what everyone else is doing. You need to learn to be comfortable on the bike. Slowly progress, and challenge yourself a little bit more every class. You will fall in love with spinning!! I swear!!

The only downside of spinning is your tushy WILL hurt the next day. That is normal. The more you spin, the less it hurts, and eventually you won't even feel it anymore!

Give it a try! Send me a message if you have any specific questions...I've been teaching spin for over 5 years...
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have also just started spin classes. I also have a history of dodgy knees, its why I don't run anymore. From what I have read your knees will hurt if the seat isn't at the right height for you so you may be over extending the leg. I had the instructor set my bike up, I wrote down the settings and have had no issues with my knees.

Enjoy the class!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,198 Member
    Options
    The only downside of spinning is your tushy WILL hurt the next day. That is normal. The more you spin, the less it hurts, and eventually you won't even feel it anymore!

Padded cycling shorts help. :)

• funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Spingirl605's comments (and the others :) ) are on point. I switched to Spin classes after years of Step classes hurt my knees.

I've been Spinning for a few years now and while I try to keep up with the class in general, I always adjust my ride when needed.

I hope you'll give Spin a try and have a fun class!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    after 30 day shred, my next encounter into fitness was spin class. i just thought we would sit on the bike and peddle a little fast. she had us sitting, standing and doing all sorts. standing was the worst for me but i made it. You end up getting a full body work out. My legs were buzzing for the rest of the day after my first session.

I think spin classes are great. When i first started I used to pretend i was turning up my resistance until i was ready. if you have any injuries let the instructor know so they will give you some modified movements if needed.

good luck. and take a gel seat
  • funfitfreeme
    funfitfreeme Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I think spin classes are great. When i first started I used to pretend i was turning up my resistance until i was ready.

OMG - LOL! I think we've all done this - or the teeny-tiny turn
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options

I think spin classes are great. When i first started I used to pretend i was turning up my resistance until i was ready.

OMG - LOL! I think we've all done this - or the teeny-tiny turn

lol, ha yes i used to feel so naughty doing it.