'Healthiest' Fast Food

Options
A good old fatty take-away night in. We all deserve one now and again, and I usually save mine for a lazy Sunday that I have a hangover which needs cured. My question is, WHAT is ultimately the 'healthiest,' option: Dominos Pizza, Chinese TA, Indian TA, Kababs or my Standard Local Chippy (hotdog, fish and chip or SF chicken burger and chip). I'm usually torn between Chinese & Pizza, and although pizza seems healthier I can't help but feel it's not because it's so carby and obviously the all the greasy cheese! I am dying to know and cannot find the answers anywhere online! And just how bad are the others?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Good and bad are relative terms. If I hit my macros and am under my calories then nothing is really "bad". If I need something filling for fewer calorie or to help me meet certain macros there are options that are better than others.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't think any of these options are nutritionally healthy so don't kid yourself - they all have high levels of sodium, saturated fat, and are lacking in essential nutrients. However, if it fits into your goals and you only eat it once in a while, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Pizza, one slice, thin crust.
    Chinese, Won Ton.
    Indian, that's a toughie. I'd order the butter chicken and Naan bread and take the calorie hit.
    McDonald's McWrap, grilled chicken.
    Kabobs, good. With a big salad.
    Choppy, skip the chips.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    I don't think any of these options are nutritionally healthy so don't kid yourself - they all have high levels of sodium, saturated fat, and are lacking in essential nutrients. However, if it fits into your goals and you only eat it once in a while, I wouldn't worry about it.

Someone needs a pizza. I recommend a margherita pizza. Because basil and tomatoes.

And the same for the op.

Although, kabobs might be the best choice. Depends on what you mean (I think of naan, meat, and veggies). That does sound mighty tasty.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Often Chinese places will have steamed veggies and other stuff available. Combine them with the right proteins and maybe some fried goodies, and you can actually get a solid balanced meal from a Chinese place.

Me personally? I'd exercise more and get the big pizza, or whatever I wanted from any of them. :smile:
  • PhilP0wer
    PhilP0wer Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If lamb vindaloo is an option for the indian that's probably the winner
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    A good old fatty take-away night in. We all deserve one now and again, and I usually save mine for a lazy Sunday that I have a hangover which needs cured. My question is, WHAT is ultimately the 'healthiest,' option: Dominos Pizza, Chinese TA, Indian TA, Kababs or my Standard Local Chippy (hotdog, fish and chip or SF chicken burger and chip). I'm usually torn between Chinese & Pizza, and although pizza seems healthier I can't help but feel it's not because it's so carby and obviously the all the greasy cheese! I am dying to know and cannot find the answers anywhere online! And just how bad are the others?

I'd probaby pick some dal from Indian, maybe with some na'an. Or meat and veggie in a brown sauce (no neon or sticky sauce) from Chinese. Pizza I'd choose thin crust veggie pizza. Mozzarella is good for calcium and protein, and should not be greasy and should be white in color, not reddish orange which occurs when pig fat is rendered all over it from toppings like bacon and pepperoni.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    All things in moderation.

This. Eat whatever you want. Just stay under/within your calorie intake for that day.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like and as long as you dont have medical issues with certain food ( groups) than modertion and portion control is the key.

95069916.png
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

On a per meal basis,

Not the chippy stuff

Tandoori with sag aloo wouldn't be as rich as eg butter chicken (or passanda & other creamy dishes etc). Dahl is great though. Tomato based dishes like rogon Josh would be good. Antioxidants etc are good

Chinese, not terrible if you don't get the battered deep fried stuff. Lots of msg

Pizza s fine. I personally like it loaded with nitrate-infused meat though, the veggie ones don't hit the spot. If you'd go for that though, would be better. Ham & asparagus or mushroom is a good mix imo

Kababs are greasy and not the best meat but overall, with all the veg in it, not the worst either

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Japanese is the easiest, I think, too. We have way more Japanese places than Chinese anymore around here.

I'd go with kebabs, except folks say they are greasy? Ours aren't greasy where I am, where only full restaurants serve them (so no stands with them except at some outdoors events). The bread is going to be fattening, so keep that in mind in deciding on portion sizes for it.

We have killer falafel here, so I don't even usually get the kebabs! I do eat the bread, but for two meals instead of one for it because it's so big :)
  • sarahjaneohare
    sarahjaneohare Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, you've really given me really important things to consider
  • ibesushi
    ibesushi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are going for Indian food I suggest you get a chapati/roti instead of naan.
  • tdmtjm
    tdmtjm Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    at mcdonalds the artisan grilled chicken sandwich is a good choice
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I've noticed McDonalds generally has lower calories than I thought!
  • muscledavis
    muscledavis Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    But still pretty high :'(
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    can i just put out there that the KFC pulled chicken rice box is only 350 calories??? amazing for that take away vibe!
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    I always go for Kebab....But Chicken Shish (bascially grilled chicken fillets in mine), and I usually leave the Pitta bread and reduce the sauce
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Much aligned Taco Bell is my fav. Bean burritos, yum.