Adjusting to higher calories

Options
I just switched from losing to maintaining, and my calories jumped from 1,200 to 1,700! That feels like a ton! I know that I should inch up slowly, but if you guys have any advice of foods I can eat to achieve maintenance it would be really helpful.

And, if you have any other food advice based on my dairies that would be great too! My phone was broken for about a week so last week has no entries. Thanks!

Replies

• cjwils169
    cjwils169 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1700 calories can be a ton, if you choose the wrong foods to make up that difference. I too am at the maintaining stage but didn't start back eating the things I used to eat. I still follow the healthy nutrients plan, just adding a little more of them to the plate. Protein shakes are a great way to make up the difference. There healthy and have a energy boosting benefit.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a few weeks now. Mostly I have just started eating breakfast again, eating as much protein as I can at each meal, and increasing the portions of healthy carbs like brown rice etc. I went from averaging about 1600 to 2200-2500 depending on daily burn.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I just switched from losing to maintaining, and my calories jumped from 1,200 to 1,700! That feels like a ton! I know that I should inch up slowly, but if you guys have any advice of foods I can eat to achieve maintenance it would be really helpful.

And, if you have any other food advice based on my dairies that would be great too! My phone was broken for about a week so last week has no entries. Thanks!

You diary isn't shared. I agree with the comments about making healthy choices just larger portions.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Adjust up 75 calories each week.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am approaching maintenance...and actually fearful of increasing my calories.... The protein shakes are a great idea. Thanks. I do not use them frequently since I prefer to chew my food. Drinking my meal does not feel like a real meal. :)
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Try adding chickpeas to your diet for protein and fiber - very filling. Instead of using protein powder add the chick peas instead or make scrambled eggs using chickpeas - minus the eggs - by scrambling the chick peas in a food processor, sauteed with onions/tomatoes/peppers and some olive oil - healthy breakfast and very filling breakfast. Also chickpeas are very cheap, soak overnight and cook in slow cooker or pressure cooker for 25 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    it's only 500 calories..it's a couple of snacks.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of buttered toast and orange juice is 500 calories. A few handfuls of nuts. A cup of rice and a glass of milk. If it were hard to eat that much without noticing, we wouldn't all be here.
  • jelenacrnic
    jelenacrnic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have problem, im confused. I try to maintain but i can't reach 1600 cal O.o because i still wanna eat healthy. I dont wanna eat fast food , candies etc i try to still eat healthy food not because i wanna lose weight but because of health but im so under my goal O.o and thats unhealthy too. Idk what to eat to eat healthy but reach at least 1200cal.
  • cjwils169
    cjwils169 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have problem, im confused. I try to maintain but i can't reach 1600 cal O.o because i still wanna eat healthy. I dont wanna eat fast food , candies etc i try to still eat healthy food not because i wanna lose weight but because of health but im so under my goal O.o and thats unhealthy too. Idk what to eat to eat healthy but reach at least 1200cal.

I have that same problem. I need to eat 2300 calories but don't want the unhealthy nutrients that comes with it. It so hard to stay under my saturated fats goal and hit my calorie goal. Pastas and noodles is a good choice for calories and no unhealthy fats.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options

Nuts, nut butters, avocados, complex carbs (whole grains, for example), fruits, higher calorie vegetables (sweet potatoes, for example) - there are lots of healthy foods that have some calories.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's not a perfect list, but you might find some ideas here to help boost your calories: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods#latest
  • jelenacrnic
    jelenacrnic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I got bumped up to "at least" 1,500 so have added more meals to my day, some snacks, and yogurt. Everyone has their own advice but it's best to know what foods you eat now and how many meals you have per day to help you specifically. Try to get protein with every meal, in any form: vegetables, beans, meats, dairy, etc depending on your lifestyle.
  • sallymarcus413
    sallymarcus413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice! It's true, that 500 calories is only equivalent to a few pieces of toast and some juice, but I had gotten so into the habit of eating at 1200 that eating more just doesn't come as naturally. I decided to go up more slowly and am at 1450 daily goal now, but still tend to eat under my calorie goal.

I made my diary public!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

It's not a perfect list, but you might find some ideas here to help boost your calories: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods#latest

Your list has helped me so much over the last few months! Many thanks :)

OP, I just stir a spoonful of coconut oil in to coffee or tea. Eat a handful of brazil nuts or pumpkin seeds.
  • sallymarcus413
    sallymarcus413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

It's not a perfect list, but you might find some ideas here to help boost your calories: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods#latest[/quote]

This is such a helpful reminder of more calorie dense food! This week I added more eggs, cheese, meat, yogurt, and almond butter into my routines. My boyfriend is vegan, and I often don't buy things like that because I sometimes forget that meat and dairy even exists, even though I love them!
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I hope the calories are delicious. :)
  • Natalie2950
    Natalie2950 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Has anyone figured out how to balance carbs, protein and fat? I just can't figure out what foods to add in.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Has anyone figured out how to balance carbs, protein and fat? I just can't figure out what foods to add in.

What do you mean by "balance"?
    Which macro do you struggle with if you want suggestions?

I prefer to treat protein and fat goals as minimums, carbs fall wherever they fall within that day's calorie goal.
    Gives a nice amount of flexibility which makes adherence easier and less stressful.
    It's also really not at all crucial to be perfect every day.