Building Self Esteem

Options
I need help building self esteem. After gaining 40 lbs, I can't seem to care enough about myself to get out of the hole. I'm in a relationship in which I genuinely love my boyfriend, but he is so mean to me. I don't have the courage to leave. I'm so scared to be alone. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies

• eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Im a huge supporter of self-esteem building because I feel like that is the foundation of your life and attitude towards things in life. One problem is that self esteem comes from within. Insecurities are just anxiety sending negative thoughts in your head, making you feel trapped. In reality, there's nothing stopping you from being happy except you. You say your boyfriend is mean. No one is holding a gun up to your head and telling you to stay in that relationship. Fortunately, you understand youre staying out of fear of feeling lonely. However, being alone is not a bad thing. Youre born into this world alone, and in reality, youre alone your whole life because everyone is temporary. Life can take anyone of them away at any second. Instead of thinking of that as something scary, think of it as this means you should be grateful of whoever is in your life (like your family or loved ones) and who makes you happy. If your boyfriend is mean, your self esteem will suffer because youre allowing him to. Breaking off from the relationship will be extremely hard for you but it is for the best because a relationship based off of insecurities is not healthy. A good relationship is two secure people who are ready to share their life with another person and to support them. If your boyfriend isnt supporting you, he is hindering your progress to happiness. Building your self esteem takes a lot of consistency and training. I learned the hard way. When I was around 26% body fat, I felt disgusted with myself. But I got to the point where I hated that I hated myself. I began to literally sit in front of the mirror with my belly hanging over my legs and Any negative thought that came to my head like "Ew my stomach looks disgusting" I would rephrase to "I look beautiful, and I cant hate myself for liking food. I look just fine and having a belly doesnt make me ugly or disgusting." Of course I didnt believe anything I said but I practiced that anytime I said anything negative about myself. After a month, my perspective almost completely changed. Id occasionally get emotional about my physical appearance, but my mental training allowed me to pull myself out of my slumps and not allow myself to wallow in self pity. So I challenge you to mentally train yourself to change any negative thoughts you have towards yourself. Treat yourself like a princess. Because once you realize how valuable you are, you will not allow yourself to settle for any mistreatment, and I hope you can get to that point Im rooting for you!!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I've been in some bad relationships myself (really bad). I can tell you this: self-esteem does not drop into your lap. You must build it yourself by making decisions for yourself. Is it hard to leave someone? You bet! Is it going to be worth it if they don't love you? You bet! If a person is mean to you, they don't respect you. You're therefore better off to take some time and work on your own self-worth. It will take courage, but that is how you build self-esteem! By doing things you're afraid of doing regardless, and feeling the sense of accomplishment from doing so.

If you can, go for some counseling with a psychologist. There are always alternatives if you don't have cash: employee assistance plans, community services, talking to your doctor, etc. Don't let yourself live an unhealthy life. You deserve happiness as much as anyone else.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I found this quote a while ago that might help just a tiny bit..

"Your self-esteem won’t come from body parts. You need to step away from the mirror every once in a while, and look for another reflection, like the one in the eyes of the people who love you and admire you."

I'm not implying that you only look to your appearance for your self-esteem. It's the second part of the quote that may help. It's definitely true that self-esteem ultimately comes from within, but I think when you can't see your good qualities it's ok to look to the people who truly love you to find out what they like about you. I think if you have any close family or friends, other than your husband, you might consider talking to them about this stuff. Keep an open mind and really consider whether there's any truth in what they say. If you can't do that, I agree with the person who said to seek counseling. In addition to the resources she mentioned, grad schools sometimes offer counseling at reduced rates because your counselor would be a student. A counselor can also help you work out what you want to do about your relationship.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Not to sound harsh, but being with someone that treats you poorly can contribute to poor self esteem. When you let another person (any other person) question you without defending yourself, you are allowing them to overlook your positives. As stated above, it's often easy to identify positive traits in people, even when they don't see those things themselves. I think it's human nature that we somewhat take for granted what we do naturally and without conscious thought, but other people notice them.

Being around people with positive attitudes and that will accept you for who you are is much more motivating and more likely to help build self esteem. If those people are confident in their own abilities, it is much more likely they will also acknowledge your abilities. Often people that take the time to try to keep you down are people who either place themselves on a pedestal, or people not happy with who they are themselves.
  • Backagainbbg340
    Backagainbbg340 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Only one person is in control of YOUR self esteem
  • marymbradford18
    marymbradford18 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all of the good advice. Just responding helps me know that there are people out there who think I'm worth it, and that means a lot to me. I'm hoping that through diet and exercise and losing weight, I will be able to start building my self esteem again. Thanks again.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Losing weight and improving my fitness level always ups my confidence. Hopefully it will work for you.
  • SwayyBug
    SwayyBug Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is SO empowering. You will have a light bulb moment in your journey- maybe you'll have a five pound loss and fit into something you haven't been able to wear for awhile. Or someone will tell you how great you look. Or you will run a mile without stopping. And from there, everything gets easier. The toughest part is getting started. I lost 100 pounds five years ago, and nothing has ever made me feel stronger or more confident. Its this giant wake up call that you have the power to change your life. I have a feeling that once you start on your journey, and see some progress- even small progress- and all your hard work pay off, you won't have the patience for anyone that mistreats you.
    In the meantime, take each day at a time. Every small victory counts. And do some stuff that isn't body related that makes you feel good. Listening to music is a huge one for me- music completely and utterly changes my mood. The other one for me is yoga. What makes you happy? Reading? Gaming? Friends? Finding what you are passionate about will make your self-esteem sky rocket.
    Good luck. *hugs*
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be mean or rude, but I've dealt with self-esteem issues for years myself. You need to include people in your life that support you and your decisions. I find negativity spreads quickly, and that can make your esteem suffer as well. You don't have to be alone on your journey. Find people that you either work with, go to class with, or even in a workout class that can aid you in your goals and help you make yourself accountable for your decisions. Joining MFP is a great start as there are many people here with the same goals. In the end, "nothing changes if nothing changes".