Not sure what I am doing

Options
I am kinda at at loss here. I have been crossfitting almost 3 years, with 2 months off due to injury.
The first year of crossfit, I got down to 135lbs(size 8 jeans), with the 2 months off I put all my weight back on. Once going back after my injury I was heavy(170lbs), but I was stronger then at 135lbs before my injury, which I loved, but I was slower. I went back and forth with whether or not to drop weight because I loved being strong but wasn't happy with myself. Finally I decided to buckle down about 6 months ago and drop the weight while trying to maintain my strength. For the most part I was successful. My 1rep back squat is 205lbs, front squat is 170lbs, my deadlift is 250lbs, my bench is 105lbs(I lack in my upper body strength) all at a bodyweight of 138lbs.

I have been going back and forth with the idea of adding in lifting, because even thought I am smaller now at 138lbs(size 4/6) then I was at 135lbs(size 8) back then, I still don't feel my body is at it's best. I want to be strong but I also want to look the part.

I don't know if adding in lifting on top of crossfit is a good idea. Crossfit helps with my performance, being faster, but I don't think it's helping in the sense of building up my back, arms, legs, etc.

The last 2 months I have been at a loss as to where I am going and what I want to do.
  • Do I need to drop more weight to get my body where I want it
  • Should I just keep pushing through with crossfit and see what happens
  • Should I quit crossfit and start focusing on building muscle
  • Should I just add in lifting on top of the crossfit

My eating is on track I would say 90 to 95% of the time. I eat between 1800 to 2100cals, with no less then 160carbs, 75fats, and 138protein.

I guess I am just looking for a little insight, advice or something.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from the deficit. Exercise helps the deficit and is for your health. Lifting helps maintain muscle mass, while losing.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You are in a good place, having been successful and making great gains. Now you are asking the right questions, trying to shape your body to be functionally strong, but not lose the 'look' and size you want.
    Lots of people here will be able to provide insight and advice.

IMO if I stalled for a few months, I would definitely look to change something, in particular since you want to gain some muscle I would suggest some serious weight training (and maybe cutting back on the very cardio intense cross fit!). I do a lot of weight training and I don't feel it hurts my performance, speed, or endurance. Functional strength is very different from having muscles, and you really need to decide what you want before investing energy and time to get there.

Sounds like you have done some weight training in the past, might require simply tightening up your diet, and spending a bit more time in the 'weight' section of the gym.
    Good luck.
  • tonyalynn26
    tonyalynn26 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You are in a good place, having been successful and making great gains. Now you are asking the right questions, trying to shape your body to be functionally strong, but not lose the 'look' and size you want.
    Lots of people here will be able to provide insight and advice.

IMO if I stalled for a few months, I would definitely look to change something, in particular since you want to gain some muscle I would suggest some serious weight training (and maybe cutting back on the very cardio intense cross fit!). I do a lot of weight training and I don't feel it hurts my performance, speed, or endurance. Functional strength is very different from having muscles, and you really need to decide what you want before investing energy and time to get there.

Sounds like you have done some weight training in the past, might require simply tightening up your diet, and spending a bit more time in the 'weight' section of the gym.
    Good luck.

I have been researching for at least the last month different lifting programs. My weight training knowledge consist of what we do in crossfit. I have slowly started building a garage gym:barbell, dumbbells, resistance bands. Going to look at a rack and bench today and I think I will have a good starting point.

I just did some reading on the functional strength, because I have never heard of that. I love the idea of lifting heavy, one of my favorite parts of crossfit is the backsquat, front squat and deadlift days. Crossfit is considered functional fitness, does that go in hand with functional strength?

I thought my diet was pretty decent, may need to reevaluate it or have someone give me some input on it.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    progressive resistance is the best way to build muscle. Weight training will help you achieve the look you want.

Progressive weight training, one where you add resistance over time builds muscle. Muscles can be deceptive because they do not necessarily give you added 'functional strength' benefits. A friend I work construction with can work like a beast all day, lifting, hauling, digging, rarely taking breaks. He is functionally strong but does not have a body shape that most people would consider to be ideal. In this context functional strength is being able to work your joints, put stress on them and continue moving.

functional = crossfit its building endurance, strength and burning calories. Fantastic all-around workout. It does incorporate some weight training, but it really is not the same as isolating certain muscles, and growing them. The word functional is one of those 'be-careful' words because it means different things to different people.

I wish I had more functional strength, most of us do. But I do not enjoy cross-fit...quite frankly I find it very difficult.

Props to you for doing it. Shows me you are dedicated and hard working. Keep researching and asking. I think you just need to add some progressive weight training twice a week to add to your fitness repitoire. I am certain you will get there.
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    progressive resistance is the best way to build muscle. Weight training will help you achieve the look you want.

Progressive weight training, one where you add resistance over time builds muscle. Muscles can be deceptive because they do not necessarily give you added 'functional strength' benefits. A friend I work construction with can work like a beast all day, lifting, hauling, digging, rarely taking breaks. He is functionally strong but does not have a body shape that most people would consider to be ideal. In this context functional strength is being able to work your joints, put stress on them and continue moving.

functional = crossfit its building endurance, strength and burning calories. Fantastic all-around workout. It does incorporate some weight training, but it really is not the same as isolating certain muscles, and growing them. The word functional is one of those 'be-careful' words because it means different things to different people.

I wish I had more functional strength, most of us do. But I do not enjoy cross-fit...quite frankly I find it very difficult.

Props to you for doing it. Shows me you are dedicated and hard working. Keep researching and asking. I think you just need to add some progressive weight training twice a week to add to your fitness repitoire. I am certain you will get there.

Thank you for clarify! I think I will add some weight training 2 week as you suggest and go from. Putting a little more focus on my upper body as that is where I am weakest!
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Eat at 200 deficit from maintenance, lift heavy in all areas and eat a lot of protein.
  • tonyalynn26
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »
    Eat at 200 deficit from maintenance, lift heavy in all areas and eat a lot of protein.

Not sure what my maintenance is but eating between 2800 to 2100 keeps my weight moving slowly.