Exercise after back injury

Options
Hi. I'm about to start training again after a few months out with a back injury. I have persistent back problems and I usually suffer a bad disc slip probably once a year. It was diagnosed during the summer that I had two degenerative sections in my lower spine. I have been advised to start exercising again which I have missed so much. I'm just wondering what is good and what is bad for me. I'm 37 and love fitness. I'm in quite good condition physically but could do with chiselling a few fatty bits away! I really want to work on my cardio for fat reduction and i also want to build muscle on my arms, pecs, the usual places! I also eat very well, chicken breast, veg, pasta etc. Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    That can be a tricky one at times. I've had some back issues over the years and was recommended very specific stuff while at physio therapy to strengthen the core more and protect where *MY* back problems existed. The trick to that is it might differ person to person.

I try to minimize the harder hits on the bike, and for now I'm still avoiding running and using the elliptical instead. The weight loss naturally reduces load on the back, but in my case it's always that strange rotation that causes the issues.... time will tell.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have a TONNNNN of back issues.
    Obviously the best approach is to ask your doctor. Maybe they can recommend specific physical therapy for your condition.
    I am not a doctor, though. But I've found that when I am sedentary, my back problems exacerbate and they rage from chronic pain & radiculopathy to not being able to get up at all *sigh*

It's almost like a catch 22 bc once you are feeling better, you are afraid of doing something that will make everything worse again (like lifting weights the wrong way or something)

When my mid and lower back are a problem, I have a brace that I can wear and it helps a lot. So I made it my goal to make my core as strong as possible. Kind of to have my own internal back brace made up of strong core muscles.

I started out with a yoga DVD by GAIAM called "Back Care Yoga for Beginners" Rodney Yee is the instructor -- it has all kind of modifiers.
    Then I started doing yoga at a studio. And I am now doing all that plus doing core exercises at home (back and abs)
    Since I started feeling better, I picked up a kettlebell routine and it has made a tremendous difference in my core strength. I feel soooo much better now. Even my posture is better and I am not in constant pain :)

But beware, that perfect form is crucial when working out with kettlebells, or you can make your back problems worse. Get a professional instructor at first, if you can.

The path to recovery from back problems is slow. Very slow, actually. And you must be constantly engaged in your back health, because if you stop, the back problems will return. -- but at least there's hope, right?

Best of luck. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• LeeVie77
    LeeVie77 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys, some really helpful pointers there. My doctor has recommended yoga and Pilates and while I just want to throw myself in at the deep end and start lifting I know I have to be careful.

It's my first full day off work and parenting in a while tomorrow so I fully intend to make full use of it at the gym. I'm going to try some running first and maybe try one or two weights. The instructors are pretty knowledgable so I will talk to them too.

Thanks again, I'll certainly be taking all those points on board.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    My back problems have not held me back. I was diagnosed last spring and was good after rehab until a couple weeks ago when I had a slip, but it only lasted 3 days. And the reason for the slip was my fault. I had stopped doing my core workouts, which my PT said needed to be a lifelong routine and that those who had future slips were those who didn't stick to the program. There are some weights that I'm not supposed to do, and less weights, more reps are better. There are other things that I'm supposed to do non-fitness related, but as for activities, I've been triathlon training, weight-lifting with no issues and feel great (when I'm doing my core work, of course).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,901 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    LeeVie77 wrote: »
    Thank you so much guys, some really helpful pointers there. My doctor has recommended yoga and Pilates and while I just want to throw myself in at the deep end and start lifting I know I have to be careful.

It's my first full day off work and parenting in a while tomorrow so I fully intend to make full use of it at the gym. I'm going to try some running first and maybe try one or two weights. The instructors are pretty knowledgable so I will talk to them too.

Thanks again, I'll certainly be taking all those points on board.

Yoga can help or hurt. Do start with gentle yoga, and tell your instructor about your back issues if you are going to classes. I'm a big fan of Rodney Yee and his "Back Care Yoga for Beginners" DVD mentioned above sounds perfect.

The core work in Pilates could either be helpful or too much for your back, depending on the intensity. Again, talk to the instructor. Also listen to your body.
  • LeeVie77
    Options
    SuggaD, sounds great. What you're managing to do is exactly what I'd like to do. What sort of core workouts are you doing? Thanks
  • LeeVie77
    Options
    Thank you kshama, I think the dvd would be great to try. Really appreciate all this feedback guys