Pole fitness!!!

Options
I've been pole dancing for fitness for a little over a year and am amazed at just how far I have come. Who else on here does pole!?

Replies

• beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I am interested. Most interest in aerial stuff, like aerial silk but I think they are related, no?

I think I am way too weak to venture into that arena right now, though. But would love to work up my strength to take some classes.

What do you think has helped you most in the progress? How often to do you go? Do you do any other form of strength training to help your progress?

Thanks in advance :)
  • HelenCShuler
    HelenCShuler Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have never done silk although I would love to try. Pole and silk are related it takes strength and flexibility to do both. Honestly as far as strength goes I didn't have the strength when I started either. However, I just kept going and I gradually built the strength. I have been inverting for over 10 months but have just now worked up to aerial inverts (I did my first one last night. Lol). I go to class Monday through Thursday for a couple of hours. My husband is out of town a lot and the studio has been a life saver.
    If you want to do silks then do silks. You have to start some where. You will build the strength as you go. If you want to build faster do some upper body weight workouts. I go to the gym in the morning for weights legs and abs one day and upper and back the next. Cardio in between as a rest day.
    Consistency has helped me progress the most though. And encouragement from my fellow pole kittens. If you find a good studio you will find a family. People help you get better just as much as practice does.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I did the class a few times and loved it! Wow did it kick my butt and I was in awesome shape at that time.
  • HelenCShuler
    Options
    It's not hard to fall in love. I started when I won a free intro class. One time and I was hooked. Haven't quit since. It's perfect for me because there is always a new move or spin to learn. I tend to get beard easily when it comes to fitness. Not with pole though.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I tried it once...it was fun, but not for me :)
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I do pole and I love it. I was fit to begin with though and progressed pretty quickly which made it a lot more fun I think. It would be disheartening to have no core or arm strength and be stuck doing basic spins forever!
  • HelenCShuler
    Options
    I definitely noticed I started getting better in pole when I started lifting at the gym.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have never done silk although I would love to try. Pole and silk are related it takes strength and flexibility to do both. Honestly as far as strength goes I didn't have the strength when I started either. However, I just kept going and I gradually built the strength. I have been inverting for over 10 months but have just now worked up to aerial inverts (I did my first one last night. Lol). I go to class Monday through Thursday for a couple of hours. My husband is out of town a lot and the studio has been a life saver.
    If you want to do silks then do silks. You have to start some where. You will build the strength as you go. If you want to build faster do some upper body weight workouts. I go to the gym in the morning for weights legs and abs one day and upper and back the next. Cardio in between as a rest day.
    Consistency has helped me progress the most though. And encouragement from my fellow pole kittens. If you find a good studio you will find a family. People help you get better just as much as practice does.

Thank you so much for the reply. It sounds really fun.
    I love "fun fitness" and always looking for new ways...
  • JeimyLyn
    JeimyLyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love pole fitness! I started doing it in Colombia last year, and am having a hard time sticking to it in the states, because the prices are so much higher, and I work a lot, so it's hard to schedule. I love the way my body changed when I did it though. It's such a great workout, and I never had the same kind of muscle definition from anything else! Hoping to get that back soon! Feel free to add me as a friend!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Acqua Pole o:)
    a6qsbjnad82u.jpg