Afternoon slump

Options
Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had experience with dealing with fatigue/tiredness after about 2pm in the afternoon. Everyday I get overwhelmingly tired at this time of the day, to the point that I feel like I need to sleep and if I am at home I will have a nap for a couple hours, sometimes longer. I don't know if I am making it worse by having a nap and if I should try to push through it (sometimes, if I am driving I feel like I might fall asleep at the wheel though so it feels like a real tiredness).

I can't figure out if it some sort of habit I have or if it is a physiological thing. I have gotten up to my heaviest weight zone and I had this problem last time I weighed this much. It is definitely worse if I have been eating things like muffins, biscuits or hot chips but still happens if I have been eating things like porridge for breakfast and yoghurt/salad/sandwich/fruit for lunch. Often times I binge eat (chips, chocolate biscuits, bread) in response to the fatigue but I usually end up feeling alright for a bit, then worse. I sleep ok and try to drink plenty of water. I drink 3 to 5 cups of coffee over the course of the morning, could this be part of the problem? Last check up at doctor's a few months ago was ok.

Has/does anyone else experience this and have you found any strategies to help with it? I am pretty sure it will get better if I lose weight but at the moment the daily episodes of feeling like death warmed up and like I am walking through treacle with a fuzzy brain are ruining my resolve to keep on track with nutrition. I feel like I am stuck in a loop.

Replies

• KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If it's affecting you to the point that you're almost falling asleep at the wheel, I'd definitely go and talk to your doctor. There's not a lot anyone on here can do for you, and it could be something that needs treatment.

In the meantime, it's worth considering if your calorie goals are right. If you're not eating enough, often that can lead to exhaustion among other things. Another thing to try could be to change up your eating pattern. Maybe change when you eat, as you say changing what you eat doesnt alter it. Allowing calories for a snack around this time might help to combat it in the meantime, but if what you're eating isn't affecting it, it sounds like you definitely need some medical advice.

I hope you get this sorted soon though :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I have coffee.

But it hasn't been too bad since I cut down the carbs a lot, for some reason (I don't eat low carb by any means, but usually under 60g for lunch).
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have had the same issues. My doctor found I have iron- deficiency anemia which was making me tired. However, I have found that when I start gaining weight again, I get the same lag, like hitting a wall I can't climb over at around 3-4pm on work days, earlier on weekends. But when I get back in the routine of loosing weight, it goes away until I step off that routine and the lag kicks back in.
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me! My body functions best when I can get a nap in c 3 pm for an hour or so. My father was the same way and so is my sister--even though bith are (were) thin. There is a reason why some cultures shut down stores etc from 2-4! I always have more energy for evening when I can nap, which benefits all. I have had my blood checked over my lifetime to check thyroid etc, and all is fine. That said, i have found that the more I exercise the less i need to nap. This time of year, with the increasing cold and less light, means even more incentives to hibernate. Also i have found that the more stressed i am, the more I nap. Personally, i accept that my body is this way, and fortunately so does my family.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Just to add - from your comment about it being better/worse depending on what you eat. It sounds like your blood sugar to me. But what others said - definitely see your GP.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This used to be me and I'll tell you what changed things. Just a note that everyone is different and I'm not saying my methods are what anyone particularly needs to do, it's just simply what worked for me.

I used to be tired all the time. No matter how much sleep I got, all I would want to do is stay in bed or lounge around; I had zero motivation. I craved lots of carbs and always stuffed my face, was never full, and slept a lot. I got back up to 141 pounds and I knew I had to fix myself before I reached 190 again like when I was in high school. I also felt depressed often. I'm a teacher, so when summer break hit, I promised myself I'd get off my butt and try to sort out my life. The following steps changed everything for me.
    1. I used to get unexplained hives after eating food if I exerted any energy at all. I'd eat a slice of pizza, walk home, and bam, hives all over my body by the time I got home. I went to an allergist which was inconclusive. 12 years ago I was told my thyroid was enlarged, but tests came back inconclusive as well. I haven't had it tested again since because I really don't have the money for it and my health insurance is basic. My solution from the allergist was to take Zyrtec every day which did help, but not always. At first, I suspected possible Hashimoto's based on my symptoms. I did research and found that Vitamin E and Selenium helped people with minor thyroid conditions. I started taking Garden of Life Vitamin Code E and I noticed an increase in my energy levels. I also stopped eating grains because I noticed those induced hives more than anything else. After that, the hives stopped completely and I was able to stop taking Zyrtec.
    2. I began to exercise regularly. With all that time in the summer I completed C25K and also began resistance training. Exercising 5 to 7 times per week took a bit of getting used to, but after the first week or two when I noticed the response from my body, there was no stopping me.
    3. Cleaning up my diet. No, I don't mean eating "clean". I enjoy things in moderation, but I really started paying attention to the foods I ate. Increasing my protein intake was paramount in helping my energy levels. I also take a multivitamin, vitamin D3, and probiotics daily.
    4. I lost 20 pounds over the summer and through that time, I changed as a person. My newfound habits have been nothing but beneficial. I now wake up at 5am every morning without issue and I'm all good until my bedtime at 8 or 9pm. I used to be unable to sleep until almost midnight on some days, but most days I'd sleep the minute I got home from work, wake up to eat, then go right back to sleep. I'm talking 12+ hours of sleep per day and still feeling tired.
    5. Regarding the grains, they are now a part of my diet again. After some trial and error and one painful hives episode in the park while running, I found out my allergy is sulfur dioxide, not grains. It's present in certain grains, dried spices, dried fruits, and a multitude of other things, so now I know what to avoid. The good part about avoiding most grains at first was it allowed me to increase my protein and fat intake which, as I stated earlier, have been a crucial factor in my rising energy levels. On non-workout days if I have too many carbs at once, I do notice that I crash. Due to that, I carb-cycle and I've noticed it helps out a lot.

To reiterate, I'm not saying this is what everyone should do; it's simply what worked for me. Prior to this, I thought I could never lose weight again, how I was lucky to be 119 pounds in college and now that I'm 30, I'm just destined to stay in the 130-140 range. I'm 116.5 pounds now and I look better than I ever have. It's all a matter of making life changes. You'd be surprised how much working out and being cognizant of how you eat helps.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I used to have that problem. What worked for me was cutting back on caffine. I allow myself 2 cups of coffee in the morning (12 oz each - black). I stick to a regular sleep schedule- wake up at the same time, go to sleep at the same time (weekend included). The majority of what I eat is nutrient dense whole foods (fruits, veggies, organic cheeses, the occasional fresh meat). I have severely restricted refined carbs - once in a while I will have some but trying to get the occasions to be fewer and far between, though I allow myself some sweets as long as they are minimally processed and are comprised of quality ingredients. I do not consume artificial sweeteners or dyes. I do take royal jelly and vitamin b supplements in the morning (I am deficient). I also try to walk for an hour a day, ideally around noon. This has eliminated the worn out feeling in the afternoon. Hope this helps.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I only feel like that if I eat something carb-heavy or calorific, or if I eat too early. I tend to eat lunch at 2pm (around 200-250 calorie soup, salad, stew, chili) and that's perfect for me.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have issues with the afternoon slump too. I'm so sleepy every day from 1-4pm. Then I'm fine from 4-10pm. I'm diabetic and keep a close watch on my blood sugar so that's not an issue. I drink coffee only in the morning and get plenty of sleep. I've just been told I have super low vitamin d so I just started supplements a week ago. Watching this thread for advice!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Are you sleepy when you are driving? How many hours of sleep do you get? Nap if you can. Exercise will probably help. Can you walk in your neighborhood?
    Porridge, yoghurt, salad, sandwich and fruit -- that would be too carb-y for me. Consider eggs and bacon for breakfast, skip the bread on the sandwich, and add more protein like nuts, chicken, tuna, cheese, beans to your lunch. (I am o.k. with carbs late in the day.) Try that for a week and see how you feel.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It is definitely worse if I have been eating things like muffins, biscuits or hot chips but still happens if I have been eating things like porridge for breakfast and yoghurt/salad/sandwich/fruit for lunch. Often times I binge eat (chips, chocolate biscuits, bread) in response to the fatigue but I usually end up feeling alright for a bit, then worse. I sleep ok and try to drink plenty of water.

I get sleepy when I have too many carbs in relationship to protein. Also, I can tolerate bread made from sprouted grains like Ezekial or Alvarado St Bakery, but bread made from flour makes me sleepy and bingey, even if I have it with meat.

I save carb-heavy foods for after dinner. I've gotten used to this, and don't even want them during the day anymore.

Try upping your protein for starters and if that doesn't work, cutting out flour for a while.

• charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. Synacious, I appreciate the detail in your response and I will try some of your suggestions. I have a doctor's appointment soon so will ask about the things suggested here including vit D and thyroid and iron (I have been iron deficient before). I have PCOS so modifying my carb intake and upping my protein might help. Sounds like I might need to get some organisation with food and some structure with exercise and sleep. Thanks again everyone for the advice.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    What is your bedtime? (earliest you go to bed and latest you go to bed)
    How long does it take to fall asleep?
    How many awakenings per night and how long are you up?
    What is your wake time? (earliest you wake up and latest you wake up)
    Do you snore? Gasp for breath?
    Do you know your neck circumference?
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I do. But I know I don't get enough sleep most nights. I go to bed earlier now. Around 10pm. And wake up at 4:30am. I was going to bed from 11pm to 12:30am and waking up at 5:00am....but that wasn't working out to well.

I just drink coffee. I have a small cup around 2 or 3pm.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone has had experience with dealing with fatigue/tiredness after about 2pm in the afternoon. Everyday I get overwhelmingly tired at this time of the day, to the point that I feel like I need to sleep and if I am at home I will have a nap for a couple hours, sometimes longer. I don't know if I am making it worse by having a nap and if I should try to push through it (sometimes, if I am driving I feel like I might fall asleep at the wheel though so it feels like a real tiredness).

I can't figure out if it some sort of habit I have or if it is a physiological thing. I have gotten up to my heaviest weight zone and I had this problem last time I weighed this much. It is definitely worse if I have been eating things like muffins, biscuits or hot chips but still happens if I have been eating things like porridge for breakfast and yoghurt/salad/sandwich/fruit for lunch. Often times I binge eat (chips, chocolate biscuits, bread) in response to the fatigue but I usually end up feeling alright for a bit, then worse. I sleep ok and try to drink plenty of water. I drink 3 to 5 cups of coffee over the course of the morning, could this be part of the problem? Last check up at doctor's a few months ago was ok.

Has/does anyone else experience this and have you found any strategies to help with it? I am pretty sure it will get better if I lose weight but at the moment the daily episodes of feeling like death warmed up and like I am walking through treacle with a fuzzy brain are ruining my resolve to keep on track with nutrition. I feel like I am stuck in a loop.

I literally feel like I could have written this (minus the stuff about the food -happens regardless of eating/not eating or what I eat) . No words to help but just know that you're not the only one who suffers with this. I took a nap today at 2pm lol.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What is your bedtime? (earliest you go to bed and latest you go to bed) 9-11pm
    How long does it take to fall asleep? less than 30 mins unless I am stressed, then could be 2 hours
    How many awakenings per night and how long are you up? Sometimes none, sometimes multiple by my husband's snoring or my elderly dog wanting to go outside. If its the dog I go straight back to sleep, if its the snoring, it may take a while (1 hour plus) if the snoring keeps happening
    What is your wake time? (earliest you wake up and latest you wake up) 5.30-8.30 depending on what I have on for the day.
    Do you snore? Gasp for breath? No and No
    Do you know your neck circumference? 41cm

Perhaps its not me, perhaps its my sleeping environment.......

Thanks all for the sympathy/support.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too (some days). It's just when your body gets a spike of blood sugar caused by eating (and higher carbs mean a higher spike) followed by a release of insulin, which in turn causes a dip in blood sugar, hence the sleepiness. It's why people feel like napping after a very large meal. I especially get it if I haven't eaten for a very long time and then eat a meal high in carbs. If you eat in smaller amounts throughout the day you even out your blood sugar levels and minimize the potential for the spikes and dips. I get busy and forget to have a mid-morning snack, but I'm sure it would help.