Losing weight is fun!

Options
Yes I said it, fun.

I started out 2 years ago, 55 year old woman, 5'6, 248 lbs, size 24 pants, XXL top
Yesterday I hit 169 and am a size 10 pants and M top. While I still have a way to go, I'm not dreading it because...

I've had fun trying out new sports and activities. I regained my love for swimming that I had as a child.
I've had fun dancing at the local wine bar. I never ever danced before, afraid everyone would laugh at the fat woman and her lame dance moves. Now I shake it like nobody's business.
I've had fun shopping for clothes as the sizes go down, down, down.
I've had fun finding and creating new recipes that are both healthy and delicious.
I've had fun hiking trails that I wouldn't even have attempted 2 years ago.
I've had fun figuring out what works and what doesn't.
I've had fun challenging myself, both and spirit.
I've had fun connecting with other women who are on the same journey to health.

What part of this life change has been fun for you?

Replies

• chileansuperstar
    Options
    thank you for sharing this... it is definitely the attitude I am working towards :smiley:
    Could I add you as a friend on MFP? maybe it will rub off on me.
    I am 45yrs old, 248, and 5'2. Recovering from spinal injuries which are no longer stopping me from doing yoga. I have alot to celebrate- I can move again! Hoooray! Woot Woot!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Good for you. I have had fun with many of the same things you have. :smiley: I think the best things for me have been getting to buy new, smaller clothes, getting to wear styles I always wanted to wear but never felt I could because they emphasized things I didn't like about my body, and feeling so much lighter, more energetic, and able to run and hike!
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am 62, have lost 30 LBs but have a long way to go. Going outside for walks in the park has re-energized me, but I don't have that bubbling joy you have. Would like to friend you!
  • proudseal
    proudseal Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Nice thread!
    Clothes shopping at thrift stores (because I know I won't wear that size forever) has been fun.
    Picking clothes off the rack that fit (and I like the way I look) has been lots of fun!
    Getting to know others on MFP who are sharing the same journey has been fun.
    Even though it's not in person, feeling like I can make friends (not held back by my weight/appearance) has been fun.
    (Getting hit on has been fun too! =P)
    Feeling stronger and more energetic has been fun.
    Getting up early and seeing the stars has been fun.
    No longer being bothered by life's little annoyances (because they seem insignificant) has been really fun!
    Using a little math / creative problem solving to hit my macros has been fun.
    Learning how it all works and feeling in control over my body has been very fun!
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You are full of energy and enthusiasm, congrats and Thankyou for sharing your joy!
  • adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, i'm new to this and i'm hoping i'll have as much fun as you are ! I am actually already enjoying it which surprised me - I never thought i'd like to work out !
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the goal is to not do it any more. It's actually more fun to stay in one place and not focus on food all the time.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Woo!Hoo! Fun is my middle name.

I'm 52. 5'8". Started at 300 pounds. Been working on my goals for about 2.5 years, but got really serious on Jan 7th of 2015. Today I weigh 189.

FUN:

1. Setting daily goals and then feeling great about myself as I meet them.

2. Being able to move on to a new day without guilt when I fall short of my goals.

3. Moving from walking 10 minutes on the treadmill at 2 mph all the way to jogging outdoors for 1 hour at 3.8 mph!

4. Wearing completely different clothes then I wore a year ago. (Mostly bought at thrift stores, my grand prize for myself when I reach my biggest goal will be a shopping spree at REAL STORES). Shopping is so much fun when stuff fits!

5. Trying new foods and dicovering what my best choices are.

6. Being a role model for my family and friends.

7. Feeling antsy when I don't have time to exercise! Never thought that would happen!

8. Getting closer to God as I learn to ask for his help when the going gets tough and as I learn that he truly does watch over me.

9. Completely forgetting to feel self concious at a party. Now that's fun!

10. Choosing good choices for myself, purely because it's right for me. Actually being a little selfish sometimes, which, after 28 years of raising children, was a little difficult to do.

11. Working through my medical issues, and beating them, one by one, instead of letting them dictate who I am and what I can do.

12. Feeling comfortable at the gym. Wow, that was really hard a first, but the challenge has been SOOOOOOO good for me!

13. I own a business where I have loads of repeat customers who I only see in person every year or two. It is so funny to see them struggle with, "is this the same person" "it must be the same person" "but it can't be". Then when I talk, they say, "Oh, it is you! You look great!" This has happened so many times that I can recognize the struggle on people's faces! Very fun!

14. Having even more fun with my husband than ever before.... :wink:

15. Having to slow down so others can keep up with me!

Ok. I admit that my list just goes on and on...

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Yes, but the goal is to not do it any more. It's actually more fun to stay in one place and not focus on food all the time.

What works for one may not for another. Creating and finding new recipes and trying out new foods... I don't find that focusing on food all the time.

Everyone needs to fuel their body, not everyone wants to do it with a bowl of cereal and milk each meal. But some do... I love trying out new foods I've never tried or heard of....I don't feel that's focusing on 'food all the time'.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I enjoy it too. For me it's been about finding the energy and endurance to do things I always enjoyed but was too out of shape to do.
  • glitterlizzy
    glitterlizzy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude! While change is often difficult, it's nice to think of all the good things that come with it. Congrats!
  • trossk2
    trossk2 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm only about a month into it, so I'm not able to enjoy the same things as you yet.

So far I'm really enjoying tracking the calories. Maybe it's because I'm a numbers and trends person, but it's really fun to me. That and going down a couple belt notches is always exciting.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I was similar to you. I started out at 268, and have weighed 150 for almost two years. I also found it pretty fun once I figured out it was all a numbers game. I enjoy being creative, and manipulating my food, to make it work into my daily and weekly calorie allowance.
  • SparkyTinman
    SparkyTinman Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

I'm 52. 5'8". Started at 300 pounds. Been working on my goals for about 2.5 years, but got really serious on Jan 7th of 2015. Today I weigh 189.

FUN:

2. Being able to move on to a new day without guilt when I fall short...

Okay - I shortened the quote but I think the entire post is a 'must read' for all. I teared up with happiness for you. Great thread and great post! So inspiring! Makes me know I can do this and that slow and steady will reap many rewards
  • Crochet180
    Crochet180 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

What works for one may not for another. Creating and finding new recipes and trying out new foods... I don't find that focusing on food all the time.

Everyone needs to fuel their body, not everyone wants to do it with a bowl of cereal and milk each meal. But some do... I love trying out new foods I've never tried or heard of....I don't feel that's focusing on 'food all the time'.

Well said. I can't imagine 'staying in one place' ever again. I'm all about learning, challenging myself and having a great time now.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I love your avatar, Crochet.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »

FUN:

2. Being able to move on to a new day without guilt when I fall short...

Okay - I shortened the quote but I think the entire post is a 'must read' for all. I teared up with happiness for you. Great thread and great post! So inspiring! Makes me know I can do this and that slow and steady will reap many rewards

You know , as I was writing that I was thinking I could do a whole list about all the stuff that's not fun, too! But really, I do like to focus on the positives in everything I do. It's just how I roll. :smiley:

And it's a lot of FUN to know that I have inspired you! :smiley:

• shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Regaining my love of fitness FUN
    Fitting into my clothes again FUN
    That "empty" feeling in the morning that means I wasn't uncomfortably full the night before FUN
    Not being hungover in the morning SO FUN

Reading bri170lb's posts on MFP - SUPER FUN
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I loved being 182 which is my goal now that I have had the medical go ahead to lose the weight I gained due to medical problems. I had lots of fun shopping and picking clothes that I loved and they actually FIT.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!