How long will it take to notice a difference?

Options
So my highest weight was 147 pounds, and I'm down to 137 right now, but I just started myfitnesspal with a first goal of 117 pounds, maybe get down to 110 if I'm unsatisfied.
Despite losing 10 pounds over the last year, I didn't really see much of a difference. Now that I plan to lose an additional 20+ pounds over the next six months, after what time is it likely I will notice a difference? I really want to drop a size, maybe size and a half.

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    What's your height? It can be helpful to take pictures and measurements, since it is hard to just "notice" differences. Also, it can help to have non-size related measures of success, such as your energy level, strength, endurance, etc.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 ft 2. I started off at 157.
    I've lost around 34 lbs to date and I started noticing a difference at around 30 lbs. Having said, I am quite petite and I am also my own worst critic - so it's likely I saw it but refused to believe it.

Realistically, you're not going to visibly see much of a difference with 10lbs unless you are quite small to start with. Keep going, you are doing great and your body is thanking you for it!
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I started noticing a difference in how my clothes fit within the first 2 weeks- so 10lbs or so. But that is purely down to water weight, the only reason I was seeing a difference was because I was less bloated.

As PinkPixiexox said, it's going to take more than 10lbs to see a difference, but dont let that discourage you! Often people dont see a difference in themselves because that's what they see every day, so it's hard to see such minute changes. I find taking progress photos really helps me to visualise how much I've lost and how different I look, and they can be great motivation :)
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    At 5'7" and 350# it took about 50# before anyone noticed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    you look at yourself everyday...it's difficult to notice the slow and subtle changes in yourself...you should take pictures.
  • alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    If you lose weight slowly like me its really important to take a before and after photo, I was about ready to give up after 3 months and only losing 10lbs and not seeing any diffrence in the mirror. Then I looked up my before photos and I was so shocked! Stay strong dont give up!
  • normamdls
    normamdls Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have lost 16lb and still don't see a difference, not even on pictures
  • Cats2626
    Cats2626 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" and it took me about 25-30 pounds to notice a difference personally, even though I'd already lost 2 clothing sizes. Other people started noticing around 15-20 pounds.
  • sawad4
    sawad4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) I'm only 5"2, and I take pictures but my bloating is crazy to be honest, some days I am significantly smaller and I'm like wow, then the next day I look really large, its ridiculous! So that makes it difficult to tell. But the motivation is great and everyone's stories are great to hear
  • stacydennis68
    stacydennis68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i've used a measuring tape at waist/hips/bust/arm/thigh those numbers encourage me!! even if you can see the difference, you have proof and motivation to keep going