Etiquette while walking on a.path?

Options
We all say good morning on our first go round. What should we.do on the 2nd, 3rd etc. Should we ignore them or nod and smile? Thanks.

Replies

• parfia
    parfia Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY1Riu58YGA

This question just reminded me of this ^
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    We all say good morning on our first go round. What should we.do on the 2nd, 3rd etc. Should we ignore them or nod and smile? Thanks.

Only if they're cute. :wink:

I say hello or good morning the first time. After that I might give a nod if it seems appropriate. I think smiling every time can be a bit off putting. Unless they're cute of course.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Lol _Waffle_
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    well what do you do in...lets saY work..when you walk by the same people all day long.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I'm a nodder or a hey if i have the breath to say it(runner)
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »

Yep! Don't even have to click that link to know what he's saying. It was my first thought too
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    after once, it gets creepy....
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find that if I cover my eyes with my hands while I run I do not have to worry about this problem. Moving cars, yes, interacting with strangers, nope!
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Are you people all from Seattle? Jeeze say hi the first time. Every lap after that is a hug.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you are constantly crossing paths, turn around, you are going the wrong way!
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    parfia wrote: »

That was bloody funny - thanks. I think I'm his wife lol.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    If it is a loop or something that has a lot of different trails that intersect each other back and forth, then it depends on frequency of interaction. If I don't see the same person for several hours, I might say "Hello again" if I'm being friendly. If it is every 30 min., I probably will just smile or wave the 2nd or 3rd time and then ignore them after that.

Most of the time, distance is too far to see people more than once, though. Occasionally, if I'm hiking, I might stop and do more than say "Hello" as I may be interested in knowing trail conditions further along or sharing specific hazards that other hikers will find helpful. For example: "Watch out at <insert location> because there is a cow and calf moose with no good way to get past them. Be careful as you come around the corner because that calf is jumpy and the mom gets agitated when the calf is scared." Or "Watch your step... at <insert location> a few minutes ago, there was a rattlesnake."
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I nod if I make eye contact and give one of those good old creepy smiles. I usually keep my eyes down, wear a hat or sunglasses....but I dont have the best jogging trail here. Yesterday on my walk I saw a guy chugging a bottle of grey goose before the bridge (what homeless guy has $35 for a bottle of grey goose....uggghhh california); on the way back I just slowed down to make sure he was breathing; smile, nodded and was on my way
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Watch out...because there is a cow and calf moose..
    there was a rattlesnake."
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I saw a guy chugging a bottle of grey goose before the bridge (what homeless guy has $35 for a bottle of grey goose....uggghhh california

I have to say that I find the contrasts and similarities these 2 posts....absolutely hilarious!

• saraonly9913
    Options
    If it is a loop or something that has a lot of different trails that intersect each other back and forth, then it depends on frequency of interaction. If I don't see the same person for several hours, I might say "Hello again" if I'm being friendly. If it is every 30 min., I probably will just smile or wave the 2nd or 3rd time and then ignore them after that.

Most of the time, distance is too far to see people more than once, though. Occasionally, if I'm hiking, I might stop and do more than say "Hello" as I may be interested in knowing trail conditions further along or sharing specific hazards that other hikers will find helpful. For example: "Watch out at <insert location> because there is a cow and calf moose with no good way to get past them. Be careful as you come around the corner because that calf is jumpy and the mom gets agitated when the calf is scared." Or "Watch your step... at <insert location> a few minutes ago, there was a rattlesnake."

It's a fairly short route. And it has a few loops. I walk one "outside" lap in fifteen minutes. I go 4x. Thank you for your input.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I gradually act is if they are stalking me, eying them with more suspicion each time we pass. Eventually, if we pass enough times, I'll start muttering under my breath or pretend like I'm talking to someone on my cell about "this crazy guy following me." Good times!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    bri170lb wrote: »
    I saw a guy chugging a bottle of grey goose before the bridge (what homeless guy has $35 for a bottle of grey goose....uggghhh california

I have to say that I find the contrasts and similarities these 2 posts....absolutely hilarious!

I'm sure they have both really happened. My examples are from real, anyway. Such diversity...
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options

I'm sure they have both really happened. My examples are from real, anyway. Such diversity...

sadly that really was from my walk/run the other day (it was 8am by the way) :( we have a bad homeless problem here. They are fairly harmless, just usually drunk/high. One time about 2 years ago i was on an early run and I walked past the same spot and they had set up a "bar". No Joke they took one of those big cable spools and there were cups, and there were empty liquor and soda bottles all over and a few of them were still passed out.
  • saraonly9913
    Options

sadly that really was from my walk/run the other day (it was 8am by the way) :( we have a bad homeless problem here. They are fairly harmless, just usually drunk/high. One time about 2 years ago i was on an early run and I walked past the same spot and they had set up a "bar". No Joke they took one of those big cable spools and there were cups, and there were empty liquor and soda bottles all over and a few of them were still passed out.

Crazy
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I usually kind of nod while halfway averting my eyes, depending on how they are acting that time. Some folks around here (NC) will want to smile and nod every round (so I do back), and others look very much to themselves, so I look straight ahead past the halfway nod time.

All bets are off if they have a dog. I swear I'll say hi to the dog every time unless it annoys the person too much, because I really love dogs :grin: