Even if you are fit - LISTEN TO YOUR BODY (sad story)

NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I was so sad this morning. I shadowed a PT back in December at Athetico. I heard this on the news today and just couldnt believe it!! He was running the half marathon and during the half marathon he died. He ran everyday and was in very good shape. He was young!! He was only 26!!! I know a friend that works with him and they can not determine the cause of death: they are thinking "sudden cardiac arrest". I thought I would share this story because if you are like me and push your self very hard you need to listen to your body even if you think or are fit........

http://www.wgntv.com/news/wgntv-family-runner-died-in-race-june5,0,3334635.story

Replies

• That is incredibly sad. I am surrounded by people in my life who's passion is working out and I worry about them for this very reason.
  • bovbjerg
    bovbjerg Posts: 172 Member
    That is so tragic :cry:
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    That seems kind of rare. I'm sorry for your loss though. :(
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Unfortunately, lots and lots of running can be very hard on the heart no matter how fit you are. I recently heard that after a runner runs a marathon his/her heart will actually swell and it takes about 3 months to go back to normal. It is a muscle and can suffer the effects of "overuse".

I've heard this happen before. He was a marine that was very fit and very healthy and dropped dead from a heart attack at 26. He also ran a lot.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    I ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday in Minnesota and saw quite a few people laying on the side of the road seeking medical attention from the heat and humidity. It just goes to show it can be anyone. This is a good reminder to live in the moment and cherish every second of life.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    I ran a 1/2 marathon yesterday in Minnesota and saw quite a few people laying on the side of the road seeking medical attention from the heat and humidity. It just goes to show it can be anyone. This is a good reminder to live in the moment and cherish every second of life.

Yes!!
  • joyoungolivia
    joyoungolivia Posts: 85 Member

absolutely!! so true.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    That is so sad! But you hear more and more about these things happening. It's like the high school athlete who drops dead on the court, the track, or on the field. You just can't comprehend why it happens....is it all heart related? Who knows. :cry:
  • The cause of death for most (if not all) of the sudden death high school athletes is Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy - often from an enlarged or thickened heart. The condition is genetic partially and relatively common. I think schools should start making sure athletes get checked out FULLY before playing sports - doctors CAN check for this with an EKG and other tests. It's tragic, but often preventable.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    My youngest brother is a marathoner, and I worry about him a lot. We have heart disease all up in our family tree. And he has high cholesterol.

So sorry about your friend.
  • BelovedTanya
    BelovedTanya Posts: 7 Member
    I am so sorry for your loss. I have heard about that happening to athletes and I didn't understand why. Then I heard about Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy, which another member already mentioned. I found a link for you that was put out by the American Heart Association if you are interested in learning more.

http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/circulationaha;108/19/e133

Again, my condolences to you.
This discussion has been closed.