Anyone getting weight loss surgery here?

Options
I'm currently on the liquid diet before having a gastric bypass surgery done and it's hard! I need to lose another 10 pounds before surgery, I'm only allowed to eat diet shakes and I'm going mad. Staying under 800 kcal a day is driving me crazy.

Just wondering if there's anyone else here for me to follow and friend who's having weightloss surgery soon. We could give each other support :)

I joined this site too be able to track my weight loss and exercise, and to be able to monitor my food after surgery to make sure I am healthy.

Replies

• DolphinJewel
    Options
    I'm not, but have thought of it. The liquid diet sounds TOUGH! I have considered doing the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery though. What made you decide to do the GB surgery and how much does it cost? Good Luck! Julie
  • dilona
    dilona Posts: 27
    Options
    I didn't consider doing any other kind of surgery because there were no other options given to me. My surgery is completely free for me (I live in Sweden, we have free healthcare). I don't get to decide what type of surgery to have unless I want to pay for it myself but from what I've read the Gastric Bypass works well and is the 'standard' procedure here in Sweden. Some hospitals have started doing other kinds of weightloss surgery but they are few and have only just started.
  • Masflz
    Masflz Posts: 7
    Options
    I probably am. I've just started the 3-month minimum behavior modification program before getting a Roux en Y. I'm still in the early stages of getting my head around all the changes I'm going to have to make. I'm looking for support and reports from others who are getting ready for the surgery or have had it.

The endocrinologist at Mayo Clinic who evaluated me said that after about a year, *everybody* starts to gain weight again, no matter what surgical procedure they've had. Your metabolism adjusts and your body becomes super-efficient at sucking the last bit of nutrient from anything you eat.

He says success at keeping it off depends on always keeping track of exercise, diet, and I forget what the third thing is (still really new at this). When you see weight starting to come back, you need to adjust either calories, or exercise, or the third thing. Post-op support is also critical.

Had a very interesting discussion with him about the pros and cons of the different kinds of bariatric surgery.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I had GBS 4 1/2 years ago. It was the best thing I ever did for myself!

The liquid diet does SUCK. Think of it as a trial period. Take one day, heck, take one meal at a time. After surgery you will be glad you had this trial period because the first few weeks/months right after surgery will also be hard. No one tells you how much you will miss your friend, food. In all the classes and support groups that never came up before surgery. Afterwards I went througha a sort of mourning period for a few days. Sad, can't eat. Mad, can't eat. Etc., Etc. When you are use to eating your feelings and then you can't you will wonder what you have done.

It does get better. And when you can fit into the resteraunt booths and ride the roller coasters and walk the mall without feeling like you are dieing...you will know it was all worth it. The bonus is being able to shop in a regular store for clothes!
  • chels1605
    chels1605 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you think the liquid diet is hard now. wait until you can't eat AT ALL. wait until you chuck up every meal, until your hair falls out.

My mum had a gastric band done a few yrs ago and has lost LOADS of weight but she also can't eat, chucks up daily, has less than a teaspoon of food a meal... but shes gone from a size 28 to a size 16... so *shrugs* depends whats important to you.

She was told she would die if she didnt loose weight - but she will die eating the way she does now too.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If you think the liquid diet is hard now. wait until you can't eat AT ALL. wait until you chuck up every meal, until your hair falls out.

My mum had a gastric band done a few yrs ago and has lost LOADS of weight but she also can't eat, chucks up daily, has less than a teaspoon of food a meal... but shes gone from a size 28 to a size 16... so *shrugs* depends whats important to you.

She was told she would die if she didnt loose weight - but she will die eating the way she does now too.

It doesn't sound like you mother is following the after surgery plan well. Or they did not do a good job post-op with the directions. Nutrition should have given her tons of supplement suggestions to make sure she got all of her vitamins/minerals so that her hair is not falling out. And if she is throwing up (called dumping syndrome) then she is eating too fast, not chewing her food as slowly /thoroughly as they recommend, or eating the wrong types of food. I'm sorry to hear she is having such a hard time!

To the OP, hang in there. Do they have you attending any bariatric support groups? I would imagine those would be incredibly helpful, there is nothing better than being armed with knowledge before you head into such a radical lifestyle change. Best of luck!
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I love it when others get on here and start spouting all the negatives of weightloss surgery. Out of the millions that have had bariatric surgery you only here of the negative cases. You don't hear of all the successes. Why? Because we are out living our lives! Lives that we would not have had otherwise.

Surgery is an inividual decision. Take ALL the info you receive and make the decision for yourself. Ask you surgeon all the hard questions. How many of his patients have died. What kind of complications has he experienced with his patients, etc. etc. Don't be afraid to grill the person that will alter your body and life forever.

ALso, remember. YOU have a lot of control over the outcome. I am not saying there aren't things that physically can go wrong. There are. But, a lot of stories I heard were also followed up with "I am not taking my vitamins" or "I am eating nothing but mashed potatoes cause it is easier", etc, etc. YOu HAVE to take responsibility as well and eat right, take your vits, and exercise. This is for life.
  • jsuemiranda
    jsuemiranda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am 15 months out from my RNY surgery. The first few moths are harder emothionally than just about anything. Commercials are the worst, at least here in the US. They are all about food!! But, now I can eat anything I want, just small amounts (around half a cup, 6 times a day). I am at a healthy BMI, and now I use MFP to help me stay there. I am at the point where I can gain if I'm not careful. I think the most important part of the weight loss surgery journey is therapy. Most people do not become obese (or in my case, morbidly obese) just because they like to eat. Usually there is an underlying emotional issue. At the very least, I would recommend behavioral modification therepy. I see an addictions therapist, and I'm not sure I woud be succeful without her. And for all of the horror stories, there are dozens of people like me that have their lives back. Fifteen months ago, I barely got off the couch. Now, 121lbs. later, nothing can keep me down! I feel like I got my life back =). And I'm not perfectly skinny. I have lots of extra skin, but I FEEL amazing.
  • dilona
    Options
    I love it when others get on here and start spouting all the negatives of weightloss surgery. Out of the millions that have had bariatric surgery you only here of the negative cases. You don't hear of all the successes. Why? Because we are out living our lives! Lives that we would not have had otherwise.

Surgery is an inividual decision. Take ALL the info you receive and make the decision for yourself. Ask you surgeon all the hard questions. How many of his patients have died. What kind of complications has he experienced with his patients, etc. etc. Don't be afraid to grill the person that will alter your body and life forever.

ALso, remember. YOU have a lot of control over the outcome. I am not saying there aren't things that physically can go wrong. There are. But, a lot of stories I heard were also followed up with "I am not taking my vitamins" or "I am eating nothing but mashed potatoes cause it is easier", etc, etc. YOu HAVE to take responsibility as well and eat right, take your vits, and exercise. This is for life.

Thanks for posting this. It's encouraging! I know already that my surgeon or his entire team haven't had any deaths, so that's great to know. I feel completely ready for this, I've read as much as I can, one of my best friends had surgery 4 years ago and I have seen (and hopefully learned) from her struggles and succeses. I feel like I have good support. I'm already exercising quite a bit and I'm in fairly good shape. A few days ago I got my operation date, 16th of June is the day! I'm committed and ready for this.
  • dilona
    Options
    I am 15 months out from my RNY surgery. The first few moths are harder emothionally than just about anything. Commercials are the worst, at least here in the US. They are all about food!! But, now I can eat anything I want, just small amounts (around half a cup, 6 times a day). I am at a healthy BMI, and now I use MFP to help me stay there. I am at the point where I can gain if I'm not careful. I think the most important part of the weight loss surgery journey is therapy. Most people do not become obese (or in my case, morbidly obese) just because they like to eat. Usually there is an underlying emotional issue. At the very least, I would recommend behavioral modification therepy. I see an addictions therapist, and I'm not sure I woud be succeful without her. And for all of the horror stories, there are dozens of people like me that have their lives back. Fifteen months ago, I barely got off the couch. Now, 121lbs. later, nothing can keep me down! I feel like I got my life back =). And I'm not perfectly skinny. I have lots of extra skin, but I FEEL amazing.

I can't afford therapy but I'm well aware that I'm morbidly obese because of a food addiction. I know I'll struggle emotionally when I can't reach for food to comfort me but I feel like my life is under control and that I'll be able to deal with it. My husband is very supportive and so are my friends.
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    I'm currently on the liquid diet before having a gastric bypass surgery done and it's hard! I need to lose another 10 pounds before surgery, I'm only allowed to eat diet shakes and I'm going mad. Staying under 800 kcal a day is driving me crazy.

Just wondering if there's anyone else here for me to follow and friend who's having weightloss surgery soon. We could give each other support :)

I joined this site too be able to track my weight loss and exercise, and to be able to monitor my food after surgery to make sure I am healthy.

Get ready to consider June 16th as your other birthday! I had my Roux en Y on April 20th and am down 55 pounds since March. I was on the Steps Diet (2 weeks were liquid) for 5 weeks prior to surgery. I lost about 30 pounds then and the rest has come off since the surgery. I found that the weight started coming off faster once I got back to exercising.

At one month post op, I got back in the pool to my bi weekly water exercise class and then I have been trying to add in walking on the days that I am not in the pool. It is hard with two little ones and a hubby that works the overnight shift, but I am finding ways to fit it in.

I would be happy to go on this journey with you and support you in anyway that I can over the internet. Good luck!
  • onesillygirl
    Options
    I work at a bariatric center of excellence as a social worker. I think the most important thing you can do to prepare is to determine what is going to work for you to comfort yourself as an alternative to food. My colleague and I teach relaxation/stress reduction, meditation, deep breathing, journaling, etc. as ideas to new bariatric surgery patients. I think it will be so helpful to find what fits for you and start it now. All of these things take some practice. I have also seen surgery patients have staff members write positive comments/affirmations in a journal. When the patient is feeling down or discouraged, she will look through the notebook. There are a lot of things you can do to empower yourself to make the necessary changes. Those who attend support groups tend to do well, too. Good luck to you!!
  • dilona
    Options
    I work at a bariatric center of excellence as a social worker. I think the most important thing you can do to prepare is to determine what is going to work for you to comfort yourself as an alternative to food. My colleague and I teach relaxation/stress reduction, meditation, deep breathing, journaling, etc. as ideas to new bariatric surgery patients. I think it will be so helpful to find what fits for you and start it now. All of these things take some practice. I have also seen surgery patients have staff members write positive comments/affirmations in a journal. When the patient is feeling down or discouraged, she will look through the notebook. There are a lot of things you can do to empower yourself to make the necessary changes. Those who attend support groups tend to do well, too. Good luck to you!!

Thanks for posting. I'm trying to exercise more and I'm actually enjoying it. Already on my pre-op diet I have problems with what to comfort myself but I'm taking walks and watching my favourite tv-shows and it does help a bit although it doesn't give the SAME comfort as food used to. When I was depressed a few years ago I journaled a lot to help me cope and it worked wonderfully so I might take that up again. Thanks :)
  • tncmom
    tncmom Posts: 79
    Options
    I just had my 6 week post op appt. My bp is way down and I have lost 32 pounds since April 20th. I am feeling really good and signed up for a 5K in September - woo hoo!
  • Beckyloo4
    Beckyloo4 Posts: 2
    Options
    I am currently in the process of weight loss surgery. I go to my 4th month appointment on the 21st for all of the medical testing. I have currently lost 20lbs and have 7 more to go to meet my required pre-surgery weight. I can't even explain how excited I am to have this procedure done! My mother had it done about 8 years ago. She lost a total of 140lbs in her first year and has kept it off by maintaining a healthy diet and exercise every day. I have been doing very well so far and have a GREAT support system. I can't wait to be able to shop in any store I want and to have energy and be able to do more things with my children. I have tried so many different diets, pills, exercise programs, etc in the last 10 years and never had success or got frustrated. I would be able to lose about 30-40lbs and then it would stop no matter what I changed. This surgery will be a tool for me to help lose more and help to keep it off.
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Good luck. It's good you have the courage to do this. I have two friends who both are obese to the point where it's recommended that they have bariatric surgery. Neither will do it. Nor are they doing anything else successfully in order to lose weight. It scares me because they're both men in their 40s or 50s and face a big risk of heart problems.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I will try not to write a novel in response to this post.

I will say that you really are in the reasy part right now. Try to get a great support system around right now and lean on them and gather as much information that you can so you can realistically know what to expect. I had my roux en Y Gastric bypass on 8/7/2006. I had some complications and it really is THE harderst thing that I have ever done. I still struggle every single day with choices about what will go into my mouth. The big difference is I am fighting from a fit healthy body. I am no longer pre-diabetic, hav back pain, high cholesterol, and I have beautiful blood pressure. I'm going to run a 5K tomorrow for speed!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like some veteran insite, lol.
  • MissMary44
    MissMary44 Posts: 16
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery May 11, 2011. It is not a quick fix like some people think. It is only another tool to use. The hard work is eating healthy and exercising. Being accountable to yourself and others. My nutritionist wants me to journal and then turn reports in to her.
    It will help :) I also created a facebook just for connecting with others who had WLS. It is quite a large supportive community.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump