Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Foot / sole pain while running

I have recently started c25k, I am now on 4th week and during the run I get a pain in the sole of my foot. It starts on the outside (bottom) and then starts to spread more inward, I can describe the pain like a burn. After I finish and start stretching the pain goes away and doesn't come back until next time I run.
I have just purchased new asics which were fitted for me. I have flat feet but was told in the store that I have only slight pronation.
I have read about plantar fasciitis but my heal doesn't help, just soles.
Can someone advise what it is and how can I resolve it? Should I stretch more or differently?
Thank you!

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Sounds like the wrong shoes.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    are you sure that isn't plantar fascitis? Heel pain is also common with it, especially when shooting inwards.
    I had a similar problem years ago and all I needed was a solid pair of insoles (that didn't let my arches collapse when I ran). went away instantly.
    Mine was definitely more on the heel but I just looked it up online and apparently sole pain develops as well.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    It sounds like the shoes aren't the right ones for you.
  • martazdz
    martazdz Posts: 89 Member
    are you sure that isn't plantar fascitis? Heel pain is also common with it, especially when shooting inwards.
    I had a similar problem years ago and all I needed was a solid pair of insoles (that didn't let my arches collapse when I ran). went away instantly.
    Mine was definitely more on the heel but I just looked it up online and apparently sole pain develops as well.

What sort of soles did you get? I have some from boots that I use in my regular shoes, maybe I will try them in the running shoes.
    The running shoes I have have arch support as they are for overpronators, but maybe its not enough?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    First, check your form. How are you landing? Is your stride too long? Next, you may be pushing too hard. You body needs time to adjust to the load you are asking it to carry.

When I started running again in January I had all sorts of pains. One was in the sole of my foot (it was more of a tingling or burning than pain). It was not the shoes (I still have the shoes and have no issues with them). I believe it was just me trying to do too much. I wanted to jump back into running and pick up where I left off several years earlier.
  • martazdz
    I think my stride is rather short, not sure about pushing off. Today i was trying to push more through my toes hoping that it will streach my foot. I used to get this pain during aerobic classes, its kinda like getting a cramp type of feeling.
    It only started while i started running more
  • riffraff2112
    I tried a few insoles but it wasn't until I tried ones like this that the pain went away. They are not soft and squishy like most, but rather a solid plastic with just a layer of felt on top.They are about 3/4 length and dont go to the toes. They keep the arch from falling as much, and were the magic that i needed. All the other ones were useless for me.

z5dudsa7m196.jpg
  • riffraff2112
    these are not them but I couldnt find a picture of the ones I have which are so faded I cant even identify the manufacturer on them.
  • martazdz
    Thanks so much, I have ones like that from Boots, they are stiff and non bendy. I will try them on my next run. Thanks so much!!!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    I suggest you go back to the running store you got your shoes and have them take a look. They may be able to do something with the insoles (or point out what you are doing to cause the pain).
  • martazdz wrote: »
    I have recently started c25k, I am now on 4th week and during the run I get a pain in the sole of my foot. It starts on the outside (bottom) and then starts to spread more inward, I can describe the pain like a burn. After I finish and start stretching the pain goes away and doesn't come back until next time I run.
    I have just purchased new asics which were fitted for me. I have flat feet but was told in the store that I have only slight pronation.
    I have read about plantar fasciitis but my heal doesn't help, just soles.
    Can someone advise what it is and how can I resolve it? Should I stretch more or differently?
    Thank you!

hmmm it could be wrong technique, maybe you run on sole too much.You should be running on your toes or you could hurt your Achilles tendon . The soles of the shoe for running on road should be softer then trails. And really it is not about the brand, my shoes are very cheap Kalenji but are doing great job.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I agree about the shoes. I had slight pronation but was fitted with a shoes that over corrected for it. Of course I didn't know this. I had foot and hip pain for months. When I got my next pair of shoes the sales person figured this out and fitted me with a more appropriate pair. You also might benefit from orthotics such as smart feet. There are diff models based on arch.
  • shellbelle6369
    shellbelle6369 Posts: 4 Member
    If you are not careful you can damage the tendons and ligaments in your feet, esp with low arches. If it persists you may want to visit an orthopedic , he can prescribe a custom arch support to be purchased at a good shoe store.
  • bnovak226
    bnovak226 Posts: 135 Member
    Plantar fasciitis. Do calf stretches before during and after ur runs. This help me the most. Also freeze a bottle of water and roll it from front to back under ur foot pushing down when u come to ur arch. A high arched Insole will also help. I work what physical therapist and that's what they told me to do. Hope it helps.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Start googling plantar fasciitis stretches and strengthening exercises. Lots of great info on YouTube. You could try different shoes or inserts. Cross train and do strength work. Yoga, especially a flow or ashtanga class can help both flexibility and core and hip strength which is ultimately where most women have weakness. The weakness in the hips leads to foot and knee pains.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    See a podiatrist.
  • I have heard that walking bearfoot on sand helps.
  • hawaiifittness
    hawaiifittness Posts: 36 Member
    This is happening to me as well I thought it was maybe cause I was so heavy
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    If it's plantar fasciitis, do what you can to nip it in the bud now. I have had arch/heel pain for more than two years now and it's extremely difficult to treat in my case.

I recommend superfeet insoles (green) and a podiatrist for now.