What do you Americans eat for Thanksgiving??

Options
12346»

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    @dawnz75 - I always make a stock that night. Leftovers are usually some kind of turkey soup, apple/stuffing muffins, turkey croquettes, turkey sandwiches, turkey curry, turkey/sweet potato shepherd's pie, turkey pot pie, sweet potato soup, etc. Cranberry sauce gets spread on sandwiches if there is any left.

My favorite part of the food is re-purposing the leftovers!
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Wow! So would you all say Thanksgiving is the biggest feast of the year or still Christmas?

All American holidays focus on food, barbeques, buffets, candy. chocolate or whatever...its really very sad./

Not sure I agree with this, but even if true, why is that sad?
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Is it similar to Christmas dinner??

for both holidays most americans eat.....everything in sight then lay on the couch w their pants undone and watch football. Its not a very pretty sight.

Huge stereotype

• j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    kwtilbury wrote: »
    Wow! So would you all say Thanksgiving is the biggest feast of the year or still Christmas?

All American holidays focus on food, barbeques, buffets, candy. chocolate or whatever...its really very sad./

Not sure I agree with this, but even if true, why is that sad?

I don't agree either. But even if it were true, there is nothing sad about eating good food with good people. Sounds like she is bitter about something...
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Our family does the traditional Thanksgiving feast; roasted turkey, dressing (stuffing), fresh cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, fresh green beans, roasted brussel sprouts; fresh baked breads/butter, and pumpkin pie. Carb heavy but so good.

Christmas dinner is never turkey. Since we're second generation Italians we do a totally Italian-American Christmas Eve (Feast of the Seven Fishes) with fish and vegetables for dinner. OK, and bread too. Then off to midnight Mass.

Christmas day is usually melon wrapped with Prosciutto de Parma, salad and fresh made garlic bread then a pasta stuffed with cheeses and Prosciutto di Parma served with Italian sausage, pork, and beef simmered in red sauce (gravy). Dessert is always cannoli, and other Italian pastries from a local Italian market with espresso and desert wines. Wine with dinner is a must too!

It's all about family and food -- the two go together! We like to keep the traditions alive that our grandparents brought over from the old country!

Between the two holidays our family loves the Christmas holiday the most since we are all together.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Is it similar to Christmas dinner??

for both holidays most americans eat.....everything in sight then lay on the couch w their pants undone and watch football. Its not a very pretty sight.

That's a stereotype. My very traditional family doesn't watch TV nor unbutton our pants after eating. We sit at the dinner table and talk to my grandparents or play with the kids or go outside and actually play football or bags.

So very nice.

We try to center what we do around family. The act of cooking, I do with my children. They are in the kitchen the whole time and we talk the entire prep time. They go to my mother's house to set the table and then visit with her while she puts out the cloth napkins and teaches them about dinner etiquette. We continue the tradition of connecting by cleaning the kitchen and doing the dishes together.

We talk to the kids about school, life, friends, challenges they may be having, goals for the future. It's a beautiful day and in my humble opinion, the food is secondary. There's a park within walking distance and if the weather is decent, we let the kids go play while we grownups get a chance to catch up. Often my mother will ask my husband to do a few favors for her, around the house. <3 It's what you make of it.

• sajero2
    sajero2 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We do turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, cranberry sauce, corn, and dinner rolls. I've never had green bean casserole or yams/sweet potato casserole and I'm from the Midwest (funny what is so traditional to some people and so not traditional to others!). Dessert is apple pie and/or pumpkin pie. For Christmas, we mix it up each year. One year we'll have Italian and do lasagna or something, then maybe the next year is pork. Last year we did fondue for the first time which was fun and totally different!
  • dragthewaters1991
    dragthewaters1991 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Not sure this year -- it's our first Thanksgiving on our own and also first Thanksgiving being vegetarian.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    Apparently we are having enchiladas, beans, rice, tamales, shrimp and crab legs. Because we are going to a friends house.... It hurts every bone in my body but there will be wine so I'm sure I'll get over it. Lol