What am I doing wrong?

Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    2ChaCha wrote: »
    I see myself as what the mirror and scale reflect.

You are 160 lbs... not a fat cow. None of us are fat cows, but you certainly are not.

I'm going to put this out there... you have mentioned binge eating, you seem semi-panicked about weight loss, and you are thinking about yourself and weight in very harsh terms... I think working with a therapist who specializes in treating eating disorders could be immensely helpful to you.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    If you've been doing this same thing (over-restricting at 1200, bingeing, rinse, repeat) for at least 2 years, and you're still in the same place, why are you so resistant to trying something different?
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Tracking makes me insane trying to weigh every little ingredient in everything I cook and then divide it all up into portions. (I know, that makes me sound like an idiot, but I just haven't found an easy way for me to do it. My little two eggs with some cheese and mushrooms this morning took me five minutes to get logged. Not even joking.)

This may seem overly anal, but I've weighed every single pot and pan I own in grams and have the list of weights posted on my refrigerator. When I make a recipe that makes several servings, I weigh the entire thing, subtract the weight of the pot and divide by the number of servings. That gives me the exact weight of each individual portion and removes the guess work.

As I said, that might be a little overboard but it doesn't take up much time and at least I know I'm tracking correctly :)

This....is exactly what I do too! Not anal, effective ;)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Yep. 1200-1300 is my given goal for losing. Since I'm so damn short I'm supposed to weigh 95-115. Last time I weighed 115 I was 18 years old and worked out five hours a day. Sorry, I just don't have a spare 5 hours now to devote.

Actually, at 5'1", your healthy BMI range goes all the way up to 132 lbs.

You say your goal is 1200 to 1300, but you don't say how many calories you actually end up consuming as a result of this:
    If I eat until I feel full I go way over. If I make myself stop, I eventually give in and binge.

If you figure that out (through careful logging of everything you eat, not just the food you eat that would keep you within 1300 calories), then you'll know what your maintenance is (add calories up for X weeks, subtract 3500 calories for every pound gained in X weeks, divide by number of days in X weeks). Then you can set an appropriate goal that builds in a small deficit and doesn't leave you ravenous.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    rankinsect wrote: »

None of the clean eating is necessary or relevant to weight loss - it's bad portions, not bad foods that make us overweight. As long as you eat sensibly there's no need to go crazy on clean eating.

While it's true, and I see this said a lot on here, that it doesn't matter what you eat but how much in terms of weight loss. I do want to add that being able to eat a higher volume of food (lots of veggies, for example) does help balance those other foods that are smaller but have the same calories. They fill you up and can hold you over longer.

But since OP has gained ten pounds on this plan, it seems clear that this isn't what is happening here. A food being "clean" (whatever that means) doesn't mean that it is low calorie at a high volume. That's a whole different thing. Some foods that clean eaters would reject are actually better choices for volume eaters than some foods embraced by them.
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I'm 5'1, 121lbs and eat 1200-1400 calories a day! Try 1400-1600 and see if you can lose!

Weigh everything... The only time I will skip weighing is occasionally with a stick of celery, but I tend to over compensate by putting 2 stalks instead of 1!

Being hungry comes with losing weight I'm afraid...

If she's not losing at 1200-1300, she won't lose at 1400-1600.

I don't think she's actually eating 1200 -- she's getting so hungry that she's going over or bingeing. 1200 might be her goal, but it's probably not her observed average. She might actually be able to stick to 1400.

This was me. My daily cals were set to 1300 (I'm 5'5") and I couldn't lose because I'd get too hungry and go nom all the foodz. I've recently set my daily target to 1600 and I'm losing again because I'm not having "cheat days" or binging.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1200 calories total doesn't really leave a lot of room for bigger calorie meals. 400 calories isn't really my idea of satisfying or filling.

Why don't you eat 1500 and burn off 300 through running? Earn what you eat. I love my food and I refuse to go below 1800. At 1700, I lose 1 lb a week, with exercise I lose between 1.5 & 2lbs each week. If it's TOM, I eat back half of my exercise calories.

Weighing food is time consuming at first, but now I just chop it up, weigh it out and cook my portion.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Lost over 85 pounds after 42 at 5'3. In better shape now than I was when I was 30 with a wacky thyroid that took a couple years to get under control.
    • If you're binging, starving and miserable--you need to eat more. You'll lose at a slower pace and it will be more sustainable. Which is what you want--right? You don't want to lose and then gain it all back. Crash dieting, losing at a pace that isn't something you can do for the rest of your life. Be patient, it'll take time.
    • Food is not the enemy, out habits around it are. Which includes starving and binging. Food is necessary for life and can be downright yummy! It's not evil.
    • You can gain weight eating vegan, paleo, healthy, organic, whatever. Healthy calories are not magic, they're still calories.
    • Take a look at your diet. Try more protein, fiber and healthy fat. They'll help you feel fuller, longer. Challenge yourself to try new recipes and to see what food combinations work best for you. Be patient, it'll take time.
    • The weight didn't come on overnight, it's not going to come off overnight. I get the feeling when you've had enough and want the weight off NOW. We all do. But that's not how the body works. You want to create habits you can live with for the rest of your life and it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing right now. Eat more.
    • Scooby can help you understand calorie needs for your body http://scoobysworkshop.com/calories-burned/
    • Find exercise you enjoy. There's many, many, benefits to exercise besides calorie burning.
    • A fitness tracker helped me. It keeps me accountable for moving frequently, tracks steps and calories burned and syncs with MFP for the whole picture.

Finally, please change the "fat cow" avatar. I'm certain I've responded on a previous thread and asked you to do the same thing. Yep, I did.
    How you see yourself and your perception of your own self-worth will impact your ability to lose weight, consciously or not. Consider seeing a counselor to help you gain some perspective. Your efforts likely won't be successful unless you think you're worth the effort.

Absolute truth here!
    You are what you constantly tell yourself you are ....Time to start working on this part of life, my friend xo
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I see myself as what the mirror and scale reflect.

That's the problem that has us concerned for you. Your worth isn't what you weigh or what you look like. Until you see yourself as someone worthy of being healthy, you'll probably continue to sabotage your efforts (unconsciously or not) because you don't think you deserve it.

You've been thinking this for at least two years, and nothing's changed, has it?

Please see a counselor. You deserve to be healthy and happy.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I used to do a 1.5lb/week calorie goal and was miserable trying to net that every day. I used to get a "screw-it" mentality when I didn't hit goal and four weeks later I'd be chastising myself for getting so far off course. Earlier this year I set my calorie goal to a .5lb/week loss and now I just try to hit it every day, whether I exercise or not. I typically run three times a week, which increases my rate of loss, but even if I decide to chill on the couch all week, I'm still making progress towards my goal and I feel a lot less stress over it.
  • 2ChaCha
    2ChaCha Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And again, as I'm sure I said two years ago, once I find an extra $200 every month, I'll start going to a therapist. But since my insurance keeps going up and my pay isn't increasing with it, I'm still kind of stuck on the whole counseling situation.
  • edack72
    edack72 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Ok first off I will say if you can afford it get a coach it made a world of difference for me( I did it for about 6 months) he helped me come up with a meal plan and workout plans.......I am guilty of overeating with the mindset "Oh its healthy food, clean eating !!! Its ok to have this or that its healthy" scale won't budge you got to get to 1200 a day to lose track track track learn to measure correctly I was shocked at how much a serving of peanut butter REALLY is .....and most important don't quit!!!
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    And again, as I'm sure I said two years ago, once I find an extra $200 every month, I'll start going to a therapist. But since my insurance keeps going up and my pay isn't increasing with it, I'm still kind of stuck on the whole counseling situation.

Please see book recommendation. I would also pursue if there are sliding scale options. Find a good eating disorders therapist who will do a 8-16 week protocol with you. I know it is is tough to even fathom, but this is something that can make a huge difference in your mental and physical health which will likely save you money in the moderate-term.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

Check to see if your insurance includes an EAP (employee assistance program). They often do, and it's a free benefit to you, but most people don't know they have them. The benefit depends on the program, but EAPs often cover 100% of the cost of up to 5 therapist visits.

Also, look into Overeater's Anonymous.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Or your county health dept. or other community services. You may qualify for assistance. You never know unless you ask.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options

Until then, please consider the advice you've been given:
    * Don't be too aggressive - a smaller but doable goal is better for both body and mind than a bigger goal you can't maintain.
    * Do work on logging accurately - there are a lot of good tips here to make this simple.
    * Don't see the world in terms of good and bad foods. Don't give up something now that you won't give up forever, or you're very likely to yo-yo. Work the things you enjoy into your day at portions that fit your plan.

I do believe you are working hard at dieting, but my impression is that you're not working efficiently or effectively - put the same effort towards focusing on what's really important, and that is managing the calories you eat. It actually shouldn't feel very hard if you do it right.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2"and have lost weight on MFP for 2 1/2 years. I stopped for a year, didn't log anything, and gained it all back. I didn't know about TDEE, or CICO. What I did know was to follow the instructions on MFP and stay within the calorie count I had set, or I wouldn't lose weight. I make a big batch of chili every month and I count how many cans of everything went in, and how many veggies and tofu, and add up all of the calories, and divide by the number of portions. I put that under "my meals". Once I did it, it was done for forever. I have a few measured out meals that I use under "my meals" or "my recipes".

If you aren't going to log, and have gained ten pounds, I don't know how you expect to have success down the road. Brushing your teeth is tedious and time consuming too, but most of us still do it. Logging is like that. Once you start logging, if you aren't losing as fast as you want, you might look at weighing foods to see if you're off on your portion size. I only started weighing foods after I plateaued for 2 weeks. But, I've always logged my calories so that I knew whether I was in the ball park. By gaining ten pounds, you know you aren't in the ball park.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »

Check to see if your insurance includes an EAP (employee assistance program). They often do, and it's a free benefit to you, but most people don't know they have them. The benefit depends on the program, but EAPs often cover 100% of the cost of up to 5 therapist visits.

Also, look into Overeater's Anonymous.

+1 on EAP. My company does benefit enrollments and part of our job is communicating the details of plans like these. You can often get up to 3 visits with a therapist free of charge. Also, see if you have a Health Advocate program (or something similar like a carrier concierge). They may be able to work with your insurance carrier to fully explore your coverage options.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I finally saw success - with a lot of help - in my fifties. So really honey, why the rush? Marathons aren't won by sprinters.

I was a single parent too so I understand the time and money constraints. You are doing amazing with the resources you have.

I see signs of all or nothing thinking. You can read about cognitive distortion on Wikipedia.

You have a broad spectrum of choices between the way you ate before and how you are trying to eat now. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight. Not every meal has to be perfect. You don't get credit in the weight loss game by trying harder than everyone else. You win through persistence and adjusting your strategy as you go. This is a race for turtles.

I suggest you find a few good breakfasts and a few good dinners that are filling and within your goals. Enter them as recipes so after you weigh them once you are done.

All the other things you were doing, they will improve your health. The running gives you endurance and strength. The home cooking is full of vitamins and fiber. But to lose weight your calorie goals must be consistent. And that comes from weighing and logging.