More than 1 workout a day?

Options
If I get in a workout in the morning but I feel up to it, should I do another in the evening or is that pushing it?
I am in no way in shape and don't want to risk an injury.
It just seems to me I should as much as I possibly can?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I personally feel multiple workouts during the day is excessive. Your body does need recovery time from working out otherwise you may leave yourself open to injury. You may also burnout quicker trying to push it.

Maybe take a quick 15 minute walk, but otherwise don't go all gungho about exercise.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    Actually, that can work against you. Personally, I wouldn't advise it. You run the risk of injury and of burning out. Pace yourself and remember that rest days are also important so that your body can recover.

What kind of workouts are you referring to? The type and intensity could factor in to the frequency.
  • Run_Away_Turtle
    Run_Away_Turtle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I do basic 30 minute cardio workout on the treadmill. It's a Fat Burner program and it is a good burn for me. I understand about burning out, I guess I'm just anxious to jump start my weight loss again.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I do basic 30 minute cardio workout on the treadmill. It's a Fat Burner program and it is a good burn for me. I understand about burning out, I guess I'm just anxious to jump start my weight loss again.

Depends on your level of conditioning. 60 total minutes of cardio in a day isn't excessive if 30 minutes already feels kind of easy. If you're just starting out after a long break, stick with 30 minutes for a week or two before you start ramping up. Just listen to your body.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    In general, I don't think that walking an hour a day is going to hurt somebody who is in good health. You have to be the judge as to whether your physical conditioning can handle it. If you are brand spanking new to the treadmill, I'd take time to adjust to it before adding the extra walking sessions. It is very easy to let one's enthusiasm outpace one's physical ability in the beginning.
  • Run_Away_Turtle
    Options
    Thank you all for the answers.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    If 30 minutes of walking is your first workout then you don't need to worry about over training or injury from a second workout. If you feel up to it then by all means do it.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    If I get in a workout in the morning but I feel up to it, should I do another in the evening or is that pushing it?
    I am in no way in shape and don't want to risk an injury.
    It just seems to me I should as much as I possibly can?

It really depends on what you're trying to accomplish via training, aside from weight-management that is. Having your primary workout at one time of the day and then maybe doing a 30-min walk or bike ride the other part of the day isn't a bad thing, just listen to your body.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    if you feel good and up to it you are fine. Over training is hardly a concern for anyone here. I often do two workouts a day because of my schedule, I don't have the time to lift and do cardio in the same session. Or sometimes I do a second round of cardio because I want to , because the things I do for cardio I enjoy.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I use to work out twice a day every Wednesday because my favorite workout class and my favorite bootcamp both fell on that day. I did that for over a year and I had no issue. If you have the time start out trying it once a week and go from there.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You can try it out and see how you feel. It also depends on what you're doing- when I was just doing cardio, I could totally workout twice a day. Now that I lift, I would probably find it impossible to do two workouts in a day, unless I was splitting my workout up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Another consideration: If you're still sort of new at this, most research seems to show that long-term success is more readily achieved by adopting new habits in increments that are easy to integrate into one's life, and adding more over time.

Everyone is different, but many (not all) of the people I see on MFP who've been successful with major weight loss over time have taken a slow & steady approach, and many I see who jump in aggressively with very low calories & very high new exercise, seem to have more difficulty staying with it very long.

So, to me the major questions wouldn't be so much to us (is it OK to do two workouts) but to you: Is it achievable and sustainable for you to do that over the long term? Will you still have time and energy for all the other things you value in your day to day life? If yes to both, go for it!
  • Run_Away_Turtle
    Options
    I have MS so I decided that I am going to stick with one workout a day until I see how much my disease flares. Plus, the slow and steady just does seem more sustainable. Thank you all so much for the input.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options

You can do this twice a day if you would like. Listen to your body

• summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options

Get on the weights :smile: get a professional to write you a full body weights program that's no longer than 20min you can do it 1-2 times a week in the morning then do your cardio in the afternoon :blush: I don't recommend 2 hard sessions in any day but I lift in the mornings and then walk 3km in arvos (walk dogs to kids bus stop)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on what kind of work out you are doing. If you are really training and pushing yourself to the limits, then no, you need time off or you'll overtrain - you need to let your body recover.

If it's not extremely strenuous? Go for it if you want.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    if you feel good and up to it you are fine. Over training is hardly a concern for anyone here. I often do two workouts a day because of my schedule, I don't have the time to lift and do cardio in the same session. Or sometimes I do a second round of cardio because I want to , because the things I do for cardio I enjoy.

This. I used to do two workout days (cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening). Let your body do the judge on how hard you can push yourself. There really is no set standard as to how much is too much.
  • thechampion525
    thechampion525 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You can do an additional workout of a different type. Just make sure you alternate hard and easy days/workouts, take a rest day when needed, and cross train. I just decided to do two 30 minute workouts a day. The first will be light cardio and strength, the second will be cycling or swimming. Complimentary workouts! Good luck!
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I think your body can handle it and it may not lead to injury, but since it sounds like you're starting out, I would ease in and increase your workout frequency slowly so you don't burn out. I've found in the past that when I'm just starting out, I would want to jump in at 6 or 7 times a week because I had that brand new, gung-ho attitude, and then a month later I wasn't going at all. I'd say whatever you are doing now, increase it by one workout a week and do that for a few weeks and get used to it. Then see how that feels and go from there.

Working out for me isn't just physical, it's also finding a frequently and intensity that I will stick to.