Extra calories earned from exercise...

Options
Quick question. I thought the way to lose weight was to create a calorie defecit... by burning more calories than you consume. But then when I log my food and exercise for the day, and I'm under my calorie goal because of the additional calories that I earned from exercise, MFP tells me that I'm not eating enough calories and it could hinder my weight loss. I don't get it! Should I really be eating every single calorie that I earn from exercising?

Replies

• misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Are you way under? I am usually under but pretty close to the limit and it has never made any comments to me.
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yes, eat your calories! MFP incorporates the calories you burn just from being alive (your basal metabolic rate). Even is you just sat and did nothing but breathe all day, you'd still burn calories through your normal body function. By exercising, you increase your burn, allowing you to still have a deficit even with eatin those you earn. Hope that makes sense. You'll see it works.
  • thomasbf
    thomasbf Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you way under? I am usually under but pretty close to the limit and it has never made any comments to me.

If you are even 1 calorie under 1200, you'll get the warning. So for people with 1200 has the daily limit, that can happen often. I get 1500 and have never seen the warning, even on days I'm significantly under (due to exercise.)
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    It only tells you that if you're under 1200 calories.
  • Marcieb21
    Marcieb21 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    just amke sre that your sodium, protein, fat etc. intake is to the right amount or over. Usually if i am under on my calories and all of that other stuff it tell me that, but if i am just under on my calorie, then it won't. (does that make sense??)
  • rosemadderv
    Options
    Your daily calorie goal is designed with a deficit already in place. You should always eat at least that many calories per day, workout or no. My daily goal is 1200, so that should be my daily min no matter what.

If you workout, you can eat the workout calories and still have a deficit, because of the built in starting deficit. But, do what feels right for you, and as long as you are over or at your min, you should be fine.

So if I workout and earn 200calories, I can eat 1400 and be on plan, but I consider it an option based on how I am feeling that day, and eat between 1200-1400.

Hope this makes sense!
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I never eat my exercise calories and im doing fine
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    From what I have read, MFP already creates the deficit for you when you enter your goals. So adding exercise makes a bigger deficit, but, you need to eat them back. Or at least some of them.
    From my experience, just last week, I was on a 1200 a day diet, I would burn 400+ calories during a workout, if I didn't eat them back, I would only be eating 800 cal a day. I thought this was great! NOT so! I ended up gaining 2 pounds, because my body started to hold on to everything plus some.
    This week I have eaten back at least 1/2 of my exercise calories, and dropped 2 pounds.
    Your net cals need to be what MFP assigns you. for me: MFP says 1200,I get 400 from exercise = 1600 I usually net around 1400

Hope that makes sense, I had a hard time with it at the beginning too.
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Double post
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    there are people on here for both sides...but just remember, that the cal limit MFP gives you already has a deficit built into it, the amount of course is based on what your wieght loss per week is. so, when you exercise, you are adding an extra deficit on top of the one already given to you. it's up to you whether you want to eat the exercise cals back, there are many people who swear they never do and are losing fine, there are others (me included) who actually stop losing weight if they don't eat back at least a portion of those extra cals back.

just make sure your net cals consummed for the day are at least around 1200 (approx), as this is the least amount most women should consume and remain healthy.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to that. If I'm under, there's a reason. I'm losing, I'm feeling good, and the nutrients I'm watching most (fats, sat fats, sodium, cholesterol) are all within limits. I also don't pay attention to "If every day were like today, you'd weigh ____ pounds in five weeks." In My Dreams . . . .
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about eating the extra calories so I talked to my doctor about it at my appointment yesterday and she told me I did need to eat back the calories.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was concerned about eating the extra calories so I talked to my doctor about it at my appointment yesterday and she told me I did need to eat back the calories.

Thanks for asking a medical professional, it makes me feel better. I read so much conflicting things about this topic, I wasn't sure what to do!
  • shannonkk
    shannonkk Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I lost 21 lbs eating 1200 calories a day and not eating back my exercise calories, then I didnt lose anything and started getting week and dizzy. So I started eating back my exercise and lost 9 more lbs and then plateud for 5 months, so I tried less carbs and gained back a few lbs,so now I am trying 1350.
  • Nikkita29
    Nikkita29 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, I guess I'll try it one way for a week and see what happens, then try it the other way the next week and see which one works better. Lol. I guess every body is different and I just have to find out what works for me. I have been between 1000 and 1100 each day this week, so I guess I'll see at weigh in on Wednesday if I should continue like this or try harder to eat more calories. It's hard to eat them all back when MFP tells me I'll weigh more in 5 weeks if I add more calories than I'm already eating. But then right below that it tells me I'm not eating enough calories. lol