edited November 2015
    Options
    Deleted reference to deleted comment.

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    2ChaCha wrote: »
    And again, as I'm sure I said two years ago, once I find an extra $200 every month, I'll start going to a therapist. But since my insurance keeps going up and my pay isn't increasing with it, I'm still kind of stuck on the whole counseling situation.

Check to see if your insurance includes an EAP (employee assistance program). They often do, and it's a free benefit to you, but most people don't know they have them. The benefit depends on the program, but EAPs often cover 100% of the cost of up to 5 therapist visits.

Also, look into Overeater's Anonymous.

+1 on EAP. My company does benefit enrollments and part of our job is communicating the details of plans like these. You can often get up to 3 visits with a therapist free of charge. Also, see if you have a Health Advocate program (or something similar like a carrier concierge). They may be able to work with your insurance carrier to fully explore your coverage options.

+1 on EAP. The last 2 companies I worked for offered 6 free sessions, and hooked me up with a therapist that would offer a discounted rate based on my economic situation. Just ask. The worse they can say is "no", and you are no worse off than before you asked!

I also agree with what everyone else has said re: logging. I actually cook/prep breakfast and lunch for the week on Sundays. Then, I prelog everything for the week, except dinner, which is usually leftovers or something quick that I had previously logged before! Takes me 5 mins to log about 75% of my week. This also keeps me from eating over my cals for the day. And, I save money by not eating out (ashamed to admit, but there would be days I had breakfast, lunch, and dinner from a fast food restaurant).

Just thought I would give you some ideas, as these are things that I have found success doing. Now, keep in mind, I had to find a system that worked for me. Had to tweak and tinker many times to find something that worked for me. Try something for 2 weeks, if it doesn't work, assess and see what you can do differently, this is where logging helps. If you found yourself hungry at night, see if you can have a smaller breakfast to move those calories for dinner. Not much of a lunch person? Plan a small midday snack and bulk up the other two meals. It takes patience, but it will be worth it.

Also, I'm 30, work a sedentary job, don't do much exercise apart from a 15-30 min walk on my lunch, and I have been losing steadily.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I see myself as what the mirror and scale reflect.

You are 160 lbs... not a fat cow. None of us are fat cows, but you certainly are not.

I'm going to put this out there... you have mentioned binge eating, you seem semi-panicked about weight loss, and you are thinking about yourself and weight in very harsh terms... I think working with a therapist who specializes in treating eating disorders could be immensely helpful to you.

I offer another vote for therapy with kindness, compassion, and as someone who herself has benefited tremendously from therapy.

Also check out this DVD: You Can Heal Your Life, the movie, expanded version.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom, have been for many, many moons. I read your profile...you state that you are single mom of a very busy child....I remember those days, absolute exhaustion...picking up child, getting home, getting them fed, bathed, reading time..you doing chores...never ending laundry cooking and cleaning and getting ready for the next day...on and on it goes. And if the child is high energy and always moving, wow, just exhausting. And so I can see you not wanting to weigh and log your food, or eating the next bite, satieting that empty and sad feeling you have inside, cause you are exhausted, overwhelmed, and lonely. Been there for a long time. I get how you want to take this all off fast, so that you can perhaps start dating and finding a companion to share the load of raising a kid alone. Kind of why I kept the weight on for nearly 18 years (with a brief break in the middle). It's just easier.

I'm not saying this is everything you are going through, and I may not be remotely close, but I hear a cry for help. It's hard work caring for a child, and it's hard work shedding weight. So, you need help. People to come along side you, physically at home, and here on the board. But you have to reach out too and ask for that help. You need an afternoon to yourself to go to the gym, to go grocery shopping and have time to prep your food. Maybe you can find another mom in your child's school who you can swap babysitting days or set up play dates.

I'll send you a friend request. I hope to come along side you.

• memeesty
    memeesty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    be realistic. set realistic goals. We can't see what you're logging in your diary to help put it in perspective for you.
    If you want to lose weight fast, start with 5 lbs in 4 weeks so you think about how much you're eating and what you're doing for exercise.

1200-1300 should be a baseline to follow but like everyone said you're either eating too much or not enough. You could be even drinking too much water each day and water retention is another matter ...

Anyway, what helped me was following a semi-vegetarian diet ... my measurements were literally a handful size of lean protein and however much i wanted of veggies - some meals i even had were meatless (but with Tofu) as long as I ate enough until I felt full, i ended up feeling fuller and losing a lot more weight than i anticipated.

if you're following a 1200 calorie diet and running 3-4 times a week, you should be losing a little bit at a time ... everyone had some really good input so hopefully you're taking it into account and analyzing what you're daily meal plan is like ...

to make it easier for your meals, try using sparkpeople recipe calculator and entering your recipes there to calculate the recipe and amount of calories/nutrition https://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-calculator.asp
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Over the past two months I have cut my fast food intake to one small meal per week; I have decreased the amount of alcohol I drink, I cook pretty much all my meals at home and use clean, natural ingredients, even organic sometimes; I only eat lean meats, low-fat dairy in small amounts, whole-grain anything (and I have cut carbs way way down, maybe one serving a day), and fresh fruits/veggies, and I don't eat anything fried; I stopped drinking sodas and I rarely eat anything sweet; I don't snack; I drink ridiculous amounts of water every day; and I've started jogging two miles a day about three times a week. My wonderful results: I've GAINED 10 pounds. And no, it's not muscle, because my clothes fit even worse than they did before and I can't even stand to look at myself. So what am I doing wrong? I don't have time to run more cause I'm a single mom and I have to do it on my lunch breaks and some days I have errands to take care of or I get busy at work and don't get a break. Other than not eating at all, I feel like I've cut it down to the bare minimum. I'm miserable, and not seeing any positive results makes me want to give up. What do I do???

Weight loss is not about what you eat, it's about how much you eat.

If you've gained wegiht and your clothes are tighter, that means you are eating too much.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    5'1, 160, I want to eat 1200 calories a day, but I never feel full. If I eat until I feel full I go way over. If I make myself stop, I eventually give in and binge. I eat small, low-calorie meals, but I'm hungry again in an hour. Tracking makes me insane trying to weigh every little ingredient in everything I cook and then divide it all up into portions. (I know, that makes me sound like an idiot, but I just haven't found an easy way for me to do it. My little two eggs with some cheese and mushrooms this morning took me five minutes to get logged. Not even joking.)

At 160 lbs, you don't have to eat 1200 cals a day to lose. You can eat more and still keep a smaller deficit, and hopefully that will keep you from binging and ruining your deficit and ending up in surplus. Ending up in surplus is why you have gained.

Go back to MFP settings and make sure you have entered your info correctly. Make sure you enter your activity level BEFORE exercise. Then choose "lose 1lb" and log exercise and foods. Eat back your calories as indicated. You will lose.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Another +1 to check into your company's EAP. The 6 sessions I took advantage of a year ago were exactly what I needed to get my head back on straight, accept that I was depressed from many setbacks and losses over the past 3 years, get on the right medication and stop indulging myself by overeating and drinking. I have lost almost 70 lbs since January. Weighing and logging your food gets you back in control of your life and I believe saves you money and time in the long run. I hope you'll really read the great advice you've been given here and start down a new and happier path for yourself and your son.
  • tmn2016
    tmn2016 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm reading through the thread and feeling relieved that at least I'm not alone with the struggles of "I'm eating less why am I gaining weight!". Yes, I feel that maybe I have set unrealistic weight loss goals (2 lbs/week) and I am definitely not logging in everything that I eat. 2ChaCha is pretty much describing my mind set a week ago when I looked at the mirror and said: ENOUGH. I think joining this community will help me since I don't have a very helpful support group. I agree with all the comments made. In the end: calories in - calories out (+/- exercise)=deficit/surplus which is key to losing weight. The key is getting our minds to agree with what needs to be done. Will power is everything
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to diet without logging my food, I gained, too. I know my problem was portions. When I started logging foods, down to coffee creamer, etc., the adjustment to what I needed to eat versus what I like to eat was pretty radical. It took me a few weeks to get used to it.

Today I can pretty much know where I am really at, calorie-wise, for the day by eye-balling and by my hunger level. I still log everything, because I'm in loss mode for 6 more lbs. But I've definitely found the appropriate portion for my age and height and it's working.

Try logging and see how much you are really eating. I think it's totally normal to imagine since it's not crappy food that you should lose. Truth is.....no. Good healthy foods will pack on the pounds, too. Find the right portion size, though, and you'll find the zone for losing.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I honestly don't think you're ready to do this. You're completely resistant to any and all suggestions to help. You're 34 not 84! Only a year older than me and I am finding weight loss pretty straightforward because I'm in the right mental place to do it.

If nothing else, bookmark this post and read again and again until you're ready to really commit and make changes. Your attitude to yourself makes me really sad, even at my biggest I never had the kind of self talk you have and I think that is also a big barrier to making any changes. You need to believe you're worth the time and commitment needed to change your lifestyle, as weight control isn't a one month plan, it's a lifetime one and that can be incredibly daunting.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What strikes me after reading everything is to emphasize that even if you lose it quickly by mind-over-matter perfect willpower and stick to 1200, and you get to your perfect weight quickly like you want -- at that point you still are not done. I have found maintenance WAY harder than losing.

I think it's way easier to take it slow, lose at a sustainable rate that won't cause binges. You still have a lifetime of maintenance staring you in the face at the end.