What's all this weight gain after hitting your goal weight talk?

Options
knockall
knockall Posts: 7 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've heard a few people say that weight gain (a couple lbs) after hitting your weight goal is inevitable, but it's just water weight and such, is this true? So A person finally reaching their goal of 160lbs will eventually pack on a couple pounds?

Replies

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I assume I will, so rather than my original goal.....which I'm 3 lbs from, I reset it to another 5, so I'm 8 lbs away.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    a) you're going to hit your goal weight at a "low" in your natural weight fluctuation
    b) when you are eating less you are generally consuming less sodium, fewer carbs (which will reduce water weight), so you can expect a little bounce up in water weight from increasing your intake when going into maintenance.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's inevitable. Most people who lose a great deal of weight will regain it, though, so I keep that in mind while I lose. I try not to rely on any single thing that could be changed later. I hope that helps me.

Scale fluctuations within 7 pounds - I don't count those as gains, especially around period time.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that at goal I am a whole lot hungrier.

I'm not sure exactly what it is, but my body's like "yay, we can eat now!"
    and I'm like "slow down, I was hoping we could go down a few more pounds"
    and body's like "what? but FOOD!"

Something like that.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    This possibility of a weight gain is why sometimes viewing your goal weight as a range may save your sanity. For example, my goal at the moment is 140lbs. Because of normal fluctuations, I can assume for my weight to truly range between 139-145ish. Beyond that is a sign to cut it back a little. I have heard stories of those that maintain that they have luck viewing their goal as such.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    It's water retention and replenishing your glycogen stores. Explained in more detail here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/993865/why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut/p1
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,208 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    This possibility of a weight gain is why sometimes viewing your goal weight as a range may save your sanity. For example, my goal at the moment is 140lbs. Because of normal fluctuations, I can assume for my weight to truly range between 139-145ish. Beyond that is a sign to cut it back a little. I have heard stories of those that maintain that they have luck viewing their goal as such.

Yes!

I have never remained exactly the same weight for more than a few weeks in my life. I fluctuate ... a little bit up, a little bit down ...

But I remained slender most of my life by picking a top number (like, say, 145 lbs) and any time I got near that top number, I'd reign in the eating or do a bit more exercise or both.

Unfortunately, more recently, I discovered that if you go over that top number it can become quite easy to justify a new top number (like, say, 150 lbs), especially if life is being particularly chaotic. And then very gradually, over a number of years, you slowly slip into "overweight". So that's something to watch for.
  • knockall
    knockall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    It's water retention and replenishing your glycogen stores. Explained in more detail here: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/993865/why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut/p1

F**kin Awesome! Thank you. It makes so much more sense now