Very upset with myself

Options
Ever since I got pregnant back in 2012 I have been heavier than ever before. I lost a bunch of the weight but now have gained it all back after falling off the exercise band wagon because now I have a 9-5 job. I'm very upset with myself because I do not want to be this weight at all and have never had to worry about my image before.I'm easy to lose the weight but can't seem to get back on the idea of exercising because now I have to wake up early to do it like 6:00am before work with hardly any time to shower. I need help. I have about 20% motivation and can't find anymore

Replies

• I don't know about you, but I LOVE sleeping. It is definitely one of my favorite activities.. You're gonna really have to want to make a drastic life change if you're going to start working out in the morning. But working out in the morning will make you feel great all day long. You'll actually have more energy and you'll feel happier too (once the workout is over of course). And after work you can go home without dragging yourself to the gym after a long day.

What motivates you? For me I can be motivated by food and music. It might motivate you to get up and work out if you have an awesome playlist to look forward to. I would suggest creating (or just finding) a playlist full of music you haven't listened to before so it's more exciting. Maybe even discover new artists by listening to their full album. So in this way, you have new music to motivate you to get up. Or maybe try to find a great new smoothie recipe that sounds absolutely delicious but is a bit more fancier than your typical just throw whatever you got in a blender. Reward yourself with this delicious breakfast after your workout! It will be great to actually enjoy breakfast vs rushing in the morning and grabbing a granola bar.

I guess what I'm trying to say is find someway to reward yourself and make that a part of your routine so you somewhat look forward to getting up and starting your day early.
  • MacHaloC
    MacHaloC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree on the more energy after a workout. When I skip it I feel restless and out of sorts. I like to catch up on my favorite shows on Netflix while I'm on the elliptical. Gives me something to look forward to on top of the post workout glow!
  • kheck65
    kheck65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was right there in that same place as you. Too tired after work and too early to go in the morning. Trust me when I say that anything before 5am is still night time for my mental wellbeing. I finally just snapped out of it one day and did not give myself a choice. Since June I I have forced myself to get up at 430am. That's right, officially night time by my standards. I'm out the door by 5am. Hit the gym and make it to work by 7am. It will always be a mental battle but I will say the first three weeks were the worst. I go 5 days a week. So, the motto here is you just have to tell yourself you're doing it. And you will fight with yourself but you just have to do it. Good luck and I know you can do it!
  • deniseharrisfarmer
    Options
    I have tried to get some beginner exercise DVD's. when I put them in, they work you out like a freak'n maniac. I can't believe it. Does anybody no of some good true beginner exercise DVD's.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Ever since I got pregnant back in 2012 I have been heavier than ever before. I lost a bunch of the weight but now have gained it all back after falling off the exercise band wagon because now I have a 9-5 job. I'm very upset with myself because I do not want to be this weight at all and have never had to worry about my image before.I'm easy to lose the weight but can't seem to get back on the idea of exercising because now I have to wake up early to do it like 6:00am before work with hardly any time to shower. I need help. I have about 20% motivation and can't find anymore

Exercise is a small part of weight loss. Not being able to exercise is more of an excuse for not losing weight than anything. The most important thing is to just eat fewer calories than you burn. That's the most important thing and anything that comes in second place is not even close to being in first.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I find I can't get up early enough to work out now that I've got kids. I have them on a fairly early bedtime and I work out after they go to bed, and then just try to stay active during the day. I wear a Fitbit and just try to get as many steps as I can. I know it will be harder when I go back to work too! (Three more months *sob*). There are a lot of 30 minute workouts available out there, and every little bit helps. That said, I agree with previous posters that you'll get most of your fat loss from a calorie deficit. Exercise is to improve cardiovascular health and maintain lean body mass.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I find it a lot easier to control calories at work, since I can plan out what I will bring and log the calories in the morning. Myabe calorie counting can be your focus.

If working out during the work week is too much of a hassle, then try just walking around more at work (instead of emailing walk over to ask the person at their desk, or circle around to get some water, etc). Then you can do a couple good workouts on the weekends.

But no excuses. Just because working out is difficult, don't give up on ALL of it.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    While exercise isn't necessary for weight loss, it sounds like it's something you think you need since so much of your self esteem in wrapped up in if you're engaging in it or not. Maybe you just need to redefine what exercise is to you. Switch it from gym time to simply moving more, like a five-ten minute walk every hour or two.

There are lots of right paths, I hope you find yours! Good luck!
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Exercise is less important than how much you are eating.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

i find motivation in how the inches are coming up - its also important to find a thing you LOVE! i love les mills body combat and so i find it easier to get up in the morning as i just love doing it - i have so much fun punching and kicking and im losing inches... the weight is coming off slowly although i have been struggling these past few weeks

p.s ive had 2 kids, its hard mate i know how you feel
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I would love to get up at 6:00 am and exercise! I am almost out the door at 6 am each morning and do not get home until just after 5. Then I have to cook dinner and help my daughter with her homework, then also find time to work correcting papers/planning/work on my NBPTS entry and give my husband a little attention! But, I make time for myself and exercise. I may run on the treadmill while dinner is in the oven, or sometimes I do 5 min each time I switch the laundry over. I have my weights in the living room and will lift while I am watching TV or working on homework with my daughter.

Being busy is an excuse. I know, I used that one for quite a few years. I had to get to the point where I needed to make the time and do it.
  • hawaiifittness
    hawaiifittness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Couldn't you do it say right after work? Does it have to be in the morning? I know I hate mornings
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Working 9-5, how long is your lunch? I get an hour, so I walk for 30, and then eat my lunch. Its not much, but at least its something!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,717 Member
    Options
    kheck65 wrote: »
    I was right there in that same place as you. Too tired after work and too early to go in the morning. Trust me when I say that anything before 5am is still night time for my mental wellbeing. I finally just snapped out of it one day and did not give myself a choice. Since June I I have forced myself to get up at 430am. That's right, officially night time by my standards. I'm out the door by 5am. Hit the gym and make it to work by 7am. It will always be a mental battle but I will say the first three weeks were the worst. I go 5 days a week. So, the motto here is you just have to tell yourself you're doing it. And you will fight with yourself but you just have to do it. Good luck and I know you can do it!

Good for you! This is how it's done! When I read your first couple of sentences I thought you were making excuses, but you figured it out and made it work. Excellent!

I do the same thing, but I work out after work. Right during that afternoon slump. But I don't give myself the option to NOT go. I don't stop and think about it. I just go and do my planned workout and as they say, I've never regretted a workout.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

OK. Work 9-5 is 8 hours.
    Sleep #-# should be 8 hours.
    8 hours left to the day to find the 30 to 60 minutes needed to do what you say you need. Find it.

For what it's worth, I work 8-5 and do my exercise right after I get home, before I make dinner for the family. That's just me. You'll have to make your own schedule. Early to bed, early to rise? Right after you get home from work? On your way home from work? After dinner? After the dishes are done? While your favorite show is on (you're watching, of course)?

OR, exercise is not necessary for weight loss. I happen to enjoy the way it makes me feel and look. But, again, that's just me.

Make up your mind on the issue and act upon that decision.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I work a 54 hour contract, which is always actually closer to 60 a week. I fully understand not finding time but the annoyingly simple truth is that once you do it a few times, finding the time becomes easy as you remember those awesome endorphins :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Once I committed to logging faithfully on MFP, everything fell into place. I hate going over my calories, so I eat and exercise in such a way that I mostly don't.

You can find the time to exercise, but as you've said what you need to find is the motivation, and I don't know how to help you with that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Walk during lunch break, eat at desk 15 minutes before hand (if your job makes this possible)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Instead of trying to change yourself into a morning person, why not just work exercise into a schedule that's more realistic for you to keep?

My apartment would have to quite literally be on fire to get me out of bed before 6am. I go to the gym after work instead, and get exercise in on the weekends whenever I can. I also get out at lunchtime for walks every day.

But honestly, the key thing isn't hours or exercise. The key thing in your original post is that you're "very upset" with yourself. Beating yourself up or hating yourself is NOT going to help you lose weight. Quite the opposite, in fact. Be kind to yourself. Learn to love yourself enough that you think it's worth it to do this for yourself.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    as @segacs said, be kind to yourself. it seems like you know a change is needed so do it one step at a time
    exercise is not necessary to lose weight. you can just count calories and eat at a deficit, but i like food so i exercise. I get up at 4am-ish and go for an 1hr long run. it took me awhile to get used to it but I like it now. very peaceful
    you can always exercise after work and work off any stress from work.
    if you like it you can watch netflix or other entertainment so it doesn't feel like exercising. I don't know what gym it is but there is a gym by me that has a movie and you can exercise while you watch the movie