Ribs

Options
2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    You know what would be cool? The ability to delete, or have others delete for you, one-word responses for which you've given other people a hard time. Without getting a warning, perhaps.

Right, @psulemon?

No.

To the OP, you can see a couple of this guy's ribs to the outside of his abs. This is normal. I think this varies from one person to the next but you shouldn't be able to see them on the side or in the back.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You know what would be cool? The ability to delete, or have others delete for you, one-word responses for which you've given other people a hard time. Without getting a warning, perhaps.

Right, @psulemon?

No.

To the OP, you can see a couple of this guy's ribs to the outside of his abs. This is normal. I think this varies from one person to the next but you shouldn't be able to see them on the side or in the back.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg

Disagree. They're not that well defined that close to the second row in the abdominal wall. The arrow in your picture is pointing up to a region that's even with his pecs.

You can clearly see these exact two ribs on me at 220 lbs. or below. I know they're ribs. I can see them and I can feel them.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Right, @psulemon?

No.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg

Disagree. They're not that well defined that close to the second row in the abdominal wall. The arrow in your picture is pointing up to a region that's even with his pecs.

You can clearly see these exact two ribs on me at 220 lbs. or below. I know they're ribs. I can see them and I can feel them.

I couldn't find a better picture, but where the arrow is pointed isn't where you were indicating either. See the striated muscles between the serratus anterior and the abs? That's what's looks like ribs on the picture you posted. It is possible to have muscle and be lean and have ribs showing. I have a wide rib cage and my ribs show all the time.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Right, @psulemon?

No.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg

I couldn't find a better picture, but where the arrow is pointed isn't where you were indicating either. See the striated muscles between the serratus anterior and the abs? That's what's looks like ribs on the picture you posted. It is possible to have muscle and be lean and have ribs showing. I have a wide rib cage and my ribs show all the time.

I'd say those are external obliques, part of the anterolateral group of muscles that cover the ribs.

bukmuskler.jpg

They are interdigital to the SA.
  • usmcmp
    Options

Right, @psulemon?

No.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg

I'd say those are external obliques, part of the anterolateral group of muscles that cover the ribs.

bukmuskler.jpg

You're right. I didn't know if others would know the name for them, so I didn't use it. Just got back from my workout and I was going to go find a picture like the one you posted.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Right, @psulemon?

No.

measuring-body-fat.jpg

Those aren't ribs.
    serratus.jpg

Well, I wonder if the OP is talking about seeing a couple possible ribs or muscles right along the abdominal wall or a series of ribs all up their side. If it's the first case then no worries. The latter and perhaps they're too skinny and need more lean body mass.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Seeing some ribs is normal at an average weight. Whether they want to gain muscle is up to them. Seeing lots of ribs at an average weight is unusual. Seeing lots of ribs while being underweight is a concern.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

bukmuskler.jpg

That's exactly what they are - external obliques, not ribs.

I doubt that's what the OP is experiencing, though.
  • JeanCricket
    JeanCricket Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    My ribs have always been pretty visble regardless of weight. I seem to have a big rib cage is all - maybe that's why I've always had such a strong singing voice?