RP - Talk to me about Recovery Drinks/Meals

I am working out 1-2 times a day, 6 days a week. I do Chalean Extreme 3 days a week and some type of cardio 6-7 days a week (Zumba, Turbo Fire starting Monday, power walk) and I've been reading up on Recovery drinks.

When do I need one?
What's the most cost effective recovery drink?
Any other info I need?

Replies

• live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    I am working out 1-2 times a day, 6 days a week. I do Chalean Extreme 3 days a week and some type of cardio 6-7 days a week (Zumba, Turbo Fire starting Monday, power walk) and I've been reading up on Recovery drinks.

When do I need one?
    What's the most cost effective recovery drink?
    Any other info I need?

You should run a forum search on recovery drinks - there are about a thousand pages worth of info...as there are for almost any topic that may come to mind. But to answer your questions:
    - generally drink one after a workout; up to 45 minutes after your workout is the optimal time for a recovery drink
    - There are so many brands but they are all generally similar in both performance and cost. I think one of the best out there (and I drink as well) is the Optimum Nutrition 2:1:1 Recovery. It's good because it's got 2:1:1 ratio of proteins, bcaas, and carbs which makes absorption efficient.
    - I don't think you actually need a recovery drink unless your body has "REALLY" done a workout. If you just do moderate cardio workouts then a recovery drink may hinder your weight loss. Recovery drinks have lots of calories and fat. Some even have lots of sugar. Are you doing lots of strength workouts? How intense are your cardio workouts?
  • I'm a Beachbody-er as well (P90X & Insanity)! I personally can't afford the cost or calories of the P90X Results & Recovery formula. So, I take about 1/2 cup of 100% fruit juice (whatever flavor you like) plus 1/2-1 scoop of vanilla protein powder and shake it up really well in a shaker cup (I also add a little water to dilute how sweet the juice is). Tastes a little like a smoothie. I got this "recipe" from a P90X newsletter that was suggesting ways to make a vegan recovery drink, since the one they sell is not vegan-friendly. You could probably get creative and freeze up some recovery "popsicles," which I plan to try soon...
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    - I don't think you actually need a recovery drink unless your body has "REALLY" done a workout. If you just do moderate cardio workouts then a recovery drink may hinder your weight loss. Recovery drinks have lots of calories and fat. Some even have lots of sugar. Are you doing lots of strength workouts? How intense are your cardio workouts?

This is what I'm wondering, do I need it.
    Right now I am doing a moderate cardio program and I will be starting a more intense program on Monday and the recipe book that came with it says to use a recovery drink (P90X specifically because it's a product from their company). I am also doing a strength training program 3 days a week.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    You don't really need a recovery drink until you're doing strength training. For something after cardio you typically want an 80/20 mix of carbs and proteins. The best thing you can drink after a good cardio exercise (I do this after my training runs for my half marathon) is a glass of low fat chocolate milk. If you do strength training (meaning high weights with low reps) then you should add in a recovery drink. For these, I use the Body Fortress vanilla whey protein blended with some skim milk and ice. It really does make a HUGE difference in how you feel if you're lifting, but it's not necessary for light-moderate cardio/exercise classes. If you're doing intense cardio (60+ minutes at at least 65% heart rate) you'd benefit from a low-calorie sports drink to replace electrolytes.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    If you do strength training (meaning high weights with low reps) then you should add in a recovery drink.
    That's the gist of Chalean Exxtreme, hitting failure at atleast 10 reps, 12 reps max, so I may need it those days.
    I don't know what Turbo Fire is going to be HR wise, I'll have to wait & see.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    If you do strength training (meaning high weights with low reps) then you should add in a recovery drink.
    That's the gist of Chalean Exxtreme, hitting failure at atleast 10 reps, 12 reps max, so I may need it those days.
    I don't know what Turbo Fire is going to be HR wise, I'll have to wait & see.

That's still considered "high reps" in terms of weight lifting. Best thing I can say is go to GNC, ask for a few samples, and give it a try after your workouts. Do a day of Chalean without it and see how you feel the next day. Then try using the shake and see how you feel. I sometimes drink shakes just as a snack. If you're good on calories it won't hurt you, even if you don't necessarily "need" it
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Ya know....I too am in that same boat of wanted a recovery drink. My problem is a lot of them have a high sugar content and I am type 2 and need a sugar free one.....

My husband does a creatinine drink..he does a week of loading 3 or 4 scoops a day and then after that only 1 a day. Replaces all the sugar your muscles need.

Hope this helps.