Vacationing

Options
I have a question. My family and I love to go on vacation like to New Orleans, beach or mountains, and I usually get what I want when we go out to eat because it's usually the time I actually enjoy myself. My parents told me its ok to eat whatever and I won't gain weight. It will just be water weight. Is this true? I hate gaining but I want to be able to enjoy my meals when we go out because we tend to do that everyday on vacation.

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Log it and maintain your calorie deficit- it's a sure fire way to not gain weight. I still log on vacation. If you don't want to log, the other tool I use is automatically splitting restaurant portions in half and eating more slowly so I know when I'm full.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I go on vacation almost every month. Becauase of that I don't really let myself "eat whatever I want". I look at this as a life change and I need to start eating less no matter where I go. Sure I'm not as strict on myself when I'm in Vegas or something but I try and be better than I use to be. :)
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I rarely go on vacation. We have one set vacation in the summer and that's really it, so I throw in the towel that week and just enjoy myself without worry. If I went more often, I would be a little more aware of what and how much I was eating, but I view vacation time as not just a vacation from work and home but for my mind and body, as well.
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Most hotels will have a fitness room. Take advantage of that and try to get some exercise in. Have a salad at dinner first, and cut back on the main portion. Just try not to go crazy.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You may gain weight, you may not - who knows - who cares? You're on holiday.
    If I'm not allowed to gain a few pounds after a well enjoyed holiday, then I don't want to be on this planet anymore. Enjoy and get back on track when you're home. That's my human approach, anyway.
  • tahn1000
    tahn1000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i went on vacation, 4 days. and i did gain about 2lb. but i already decided well before the start that i wasn't going to worry about what i ate. i didn't even look at my app and left my scales at home. vacations are for enjoying myself. i just picked up where i left off when i got back and watched the weight go down again.
  • FredKing1
    FredKing1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Vacations and special occasions have been a problem for me in the past. I'm comfortable with temporary gains - my problem had been with the break in habit - not getting back to my preferred meal plan. Someday I'll get back to an all-inclusive resort or a cruise and I know I have to have a plan either to stay on course during the vacation (not likely) or a solid plan and commitment to resume the preferred plan on return. Meanwhile, I have holidays coming up which in their own way present similar challenges.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is fine to enjoy yourself on vacation. You may find that you do gain some water weight if you eat out a lot on vacation. Stop worrying and have fun.
  • suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    A lot of vacation weight may be water weight if you are eating at restaurants because they use so much sodium in everything.

But some of it is usually increased calories (unless you are either getting a lot of physical activity on the trip, or counting your calories).

We never eat all meals out on vacation (because $$$!) so we tend to have a healthy breakfast and lunch, at least. Plus we tend to be active- going on hikes, walking a lot, etc. We also are chasing young kids. Your mileage may vary.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I generally eat whatever I want because I usually do a lot of walking on my vacations. Have taken 3 trips this year (Disney World, San Diego, Disneyland) and didn't gain on any of them. In fact, on my Disney trips I lost 1-2 lbs. Just go and enjoy yourself. If you gain a couple pounds, who cares?

But seriously, listen to your mom. Clearly she is worried about you.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you are battling an eating disorder, please eat! On vacation AND at home!
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I forgot about walking. We do walk a lot, especially hiking. I love hiking. We usually eat a big breakfast and after hiking all day we tend to eat a big dinner.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I think you would do fine to eat what you would like. At 107, you are fine imo
  • BlackPantherChick123
    Options
    I usually eat whatever I want. So enjoy a hamburger, pizza, pancakes, and ice cream? No problem. Already ready for thanksgiving. Eating whatever and as much as I want because it's usually the best time to pig out lol. I'll get back on track afterwards.