Treadmill vs jogging am I getting same results

Options
I run on tredmill at gym

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    change the incline to 2 or 3 and it will be similar results to running outside.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but this is what I've heard....its better to jog outside on the natural terrain because its less stressful on the joints and more of a work out, if you're training to run competitively I have heard that people tend to have better times if they jog outside as opposed to the treadmill. But I still jog on the treadmill, its inside (so no gross sun making me tan, yuck) and its safer for me (I don't feel secure being a chick running alone at night outside)....so its pretty close IMO with the trade offs, jogging is great for you either way.

I have also heard to always always always run on in incline when doing the treadmill.
  • keb80
    keb80 Posts: 394
    Options
    I'm assuming you're asking if treadmill running is as good as outdoor running?? Running on a treadmill is great cardio but it is pretty different than running outdoors: the belt is being moved for you and there is no wind resistance. If you can run outside, I say do it. I hate the treadmill but live in the northeast so some times of the year I have no choice but its so monotonous I can barely stand it. If you can't run outdoors, don't sweat it.... you're still getting a great cardio workout on the treadmill.
  • Kcmohawk
    Kcmohawk Posts: 12
    Options
    Its easier on tredmill cause I also lift, and evrything is right there, and I do it purely for the cardio aspect of it....
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also hate the treadmill for jogging - only use it when it's too snowy or hot to go outside.

That being said, always jog at about a 2 percent incline to stimulate being outside. It'll never be the same, but it'll be close. I burn significantly more calories, but surprisingly, feel like I work less when I jog outside.

Walking is another story - I can do that all day on the treadmill in front of the tv - go figure.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I also hate the treadmill for jogging - only use it when it's too snowy or hot to go outside.

That being said, always jog at about a 2 percent incline to stimulate being outside. It'll never be the same, but it'll be close. I burn significantly more calories, but surprisingly, feel like I work less when I jog outside.

Walking is another story - I can do that all day on the treadmill in front of the tv - go figure.
  • Kcmohawk
    Options
    Thanks for the incline tip I will try it for sure
    :wink:
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Just looking at calorie burn...I burn a lot more calories per minute outside than I do on the treadmill.
  • Kcmohawk
    Options
    Will incline affect back or nees
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Will incline affect back or nees
    I could see where a lot more incline could affect them, but 1-2% should be okay.