Is this picture an unrealistic fitness goal?

Options
lynnkieu
lynnkieu Posts: 67 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I have a friend on FB that shared this picture with the words "Fitness Goals". She is an amazing person and an athelete that I admire. Her goal is to run a marathon in all 50 states. She inspires me with her determination. She is 105 lbs and very fit. But when she posted this picture and said it was her goal to look like her, I responded saying: "You are beautiful as you are. This woman looks distorted and not real at all. Don't strive to be her when YOU are so wonderful!". Now other people are getting on all huffy and saying things like "don't listen to your naysayers, you can do it!".

So what I'm asking is, am I out of my mind or does this woman look photoshopped? If you can achieve this body naturally, then good for you! All body types are beautiful. I'd just hate for my friend to put a photoshopped body or one achieved via plastic surgery on a pedestal and feel like she isn't already good enough. Thanks.

c7c1m6l3y22c.jpg

Replies

• blueboxgeek
    blueboxgeek Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's photoshopped but everyone has their own body shape. Your friend may NEVER get the same shape regardless of how she trains. I could understand if she had said that is her inspiration, but to actually think you can get the same body shape is unrealistic. But she could get very low body fat and some good muscle.... that's achievable.... but may look totally different to this.

I guess that is a roundabout way of saying I agree with you lol.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I think it's great to have a goal to strive for, but it does need to be realistic. Or at the very least we have to go in knowing we may not come out with the exact same result.

I do think something is off with that pic....
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    A fitness goal should be the best you can be not to look like someone else. Genetics plays a huge role in physiques.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Since when is photoshopped and implant filled a "fitness goal"?
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It would be impossible le for many body types to achieve that level of muscle definition (seen in the abs and arms) and still have breasts and a rounded booty like that. It's okay to admire or strive for that as long as you know you may be fitter than a marine and never achieve that look.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I have no idea of that photo was photo shopped or not.

it is a body type that is desired by many . I think the lady in the photo looks great! I have no clue if the photo has been altered in any way ,but the lady does look awesome !

I don't like the idea of posting pictures of random strangers saying this is what I want to look like either, that stuff doesn't sit well with me. So I do understand why you commented in such a way. I feel like people should strive to be the best version of themselves possible .

But if that's your friends goal, then that's her business. Its her body and her life. So sometimes its best to keep your opinions to yourself.

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I have no idea of that photo was photo shopped or not.

it is a body type that is desired by many . I think the lady in the photo looks great! I have no clue if the photo has been altered in any way ,but the lady does look awesome !

I don't like the idea of posting pictures of random strangers saying this is what I want to look like either, that stuff doesn't sit well with me. So I do understand why you commented in such a way. I feel like people should strive to be the best version of themselves possible .

But if that's your friends goal, then that's her business. Its her body and her life. So sometimes its best to keep your opinions to yourself.

This. Every sentence X2.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Apparently the model is called Alicia Marie and she is popular on dat dere Instagram (which I know nothing about having never been on it...)

See here:

yet another instagram model

There is a possibility that the images have been photoshopped / touched up / modified / and they are definitely posed for maximum effect. Could your friend look like her? If she shared the same genetics maybe.

I think comparing yourself to other people generally can lead to unhappiness and it's not something I would recommend doing. If your friend is using it as a rough guide then it may not prove to be an issue.

Strive to be the best you can be with what you have been blessed with is better place to be in my view.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    That is a hilarious photo shopped pic

So if working photo shop is a fitness goal, then yes.

• ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If your goal is to look like someone else you're probably setting yourself up for failure. Nothing wrong with using it for motivation, but if its your actual "goal" I think most will get frustrated and give up.

There are some guys out there whose general look I'd like to eventually get near, but I'm doing this for me. I know what I put in my body, I know how hard I train, I know when I look in the mirror there are no filters, just me.

The woman in the OP has put in a lot of hard work and kudos to her, but not sure how realistic it is for most people.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    RobynLB83 wrote: »
    It would be impossible le for many body types to achieve that level of muscle definition (seen in the abs and arms) and still have breasts and a rounded booty like that. It's okay to admire or strive for that as long as you know you may be fitter than a marine and never achieve that look.

There's a saying, what god didn't give you, can now be bought.

So that's one way certain people could achieve their goal even if they where not blessed with those genes. Lol !
    ( I'm not making fun, its just a joke. I have had plastic surgery myself so am the last person to frown upon it. Just pointing out people can purchase a large chest or butt lol!)
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    your friend should learn to use photoshop if she wants to look like that! It's a great skill to have and she can get some real definition in her abs while keeping a big ol' booty ;)
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    That girl's waist looks suspiciously small!
    Not a look i'd personally go for tbh, but as someone else said - that's up to your friend if she wants to look like that.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think its photoshopped, although the size of her rear is accentuated by the pose. Alicia Marie is a fitness model. Its her full time job to look like that. Here is her instagram page: https://www.instagram.com/aliciamariebody/.

I think you did and said the right thing, though. Everyone should strive to be their own best, not someone else's.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,522 Member
    Options
    Photoshopped. I've seen this one before somewhere. Seems hardly anyone who posts a pic on social media really looks like that in real life. Except for Mark Hamill.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Photoshopped or not, whether you find that attractive or not, as a principal, there's nothing wrong with throwing everything you've got at a goal that may very well be beyond your reach. It's a good opportunity for growth.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I am all for inspirational fitness pictures (as you can see, my profile picture is one of them! - not me)

But yes, that picture looks Photoshopped. I work with PS all day long and the first thing that jumped out when I opened the post (before I read the content) was the image is super PSed. Not to say that the girl couldn't have a super body on her own, but that particular picture has been altered -- to what extent? I don't know.
    Some people use Photoshop for social media to enhance the color/brightness/vibrance/contrast of the shot; yet others use it to create alternate realities...

* shrugs*

Personally, I love inspirational fitness pictures. They are great motivation for me. But just because I admire a figure or a feature on a fitness girl, doesn't mean that I literally aim for my body to become exactly like hers.

But I've noticed that people on IG tend to use the word "Goals" to indicate that they like the picture, that they are inspired by it etc...

I don't think that majority of people that follow fitness pages, have actual delusions that following a fitness routine will give them an extra 1' foot in height, 10 " less of waist and 10 extra lbs. of fit booty, lol.

EDITED TO ADD: Whether the picture is unrealistic depends on your friends genetic makeup, current workout routine, diet etc...

I can tell you that it would be totally impossible for me to look achieve a body like that through workout and diet. Impossible. Or like Monica Belluci or Kara Webb -- it ain't gonna happen for me.

But it is possible for me to have a body like my profile picture -- they are just different types of body.
    Whether it is realistic or not has to do most on what her body naturally gravitates towards and then second: whether she has a serious level of commitment to achieve it.

I agree with the above poster that "there's nothing wrong with throwing everything you've got at a goal that may very well be beyond your reach" -- as long as you are well balanced mentally, reach for the stars, baby.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    as a user of photoshop, I would feel confident to say that there has been some "adjusting" to the original photo. also, there are tips and poses to make a person look skinnier and fitter. and she is using them.

Could your friend look like her? Probably not. There is always the genetic factor and "improvements". Besides the "cheating" of this photo, since she is a fitness model, it is her full time job to be fit. Which means a lot of working out and cutting at key times.
    Could your friend look really fit? absolutely but it will take a lot of commitment and time.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Alicia Marie is a fitness model. She competes and is on the cover of fitness mags such as SHAPE. She gets paid to look this way. She has a tiny waist her aesthetics are due to genetics and hard work. I've seen hundreds of her photos some shopped bc they are in magazines some sooc and this is what she looks like. It is attainable for her. She is petite, lean with a bubble butt. I'd love to have her figure but I'm not gonna say its not attainable bc I don't have her genetics.

This is not photoshop (at least not in the sense that most mean it) color adjustment, clarity adjustment, removal of noise etc. But making the waist smaller, making her bum bigger NOPE this is genetics and hard work. Try a little and you'll find the best YOU instead of comparing and tearing someone down. Not that she cares lol