Type 2 Diabetes

Anyone have some easy meal plans or recipes they can share for someone with Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol???

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Did the doctor or nutritionist put you on a specific plan?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I follow Dr (Richard) Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. It's a great book on how to eat low carb to get normal blood glucose levels. It has the added benefit of lowering triglycerides, raising HDL and converting LDL to the harmless fluffier LDL. As a general rule, excessive carbs are the cause of abnormally poor cholesterol readings.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Try this:
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Visualizing my plate was the easiest way for me to plan my eating.

When I lost significant weight my cholesterol readings went back to normal. In the meantime you might slightly reduce your cholesterol readings by avoiding foods high in cholesterol, like egg yolks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You may also try this:

https://www.eatthismuch.com

You may try the Mediterranean style diet for portioning your carbs.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Try this:
    http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/food/planning-meals/create-your-plate/

Visualizing my plate was the easiest way for me to plan my eating.

When I lost significant weight my cholesterol readings went back to normal. In the meantime you might slightly reduce your cholesterol readings by avoiding foods high in cholesterol, like egg yolks.

Except for people with genetic issues, there is no correlation between dietary consumption of cholesterol and blood levels of cholesterol. Every cell needs it, and the brain is filled with it. If you do not consume enough, your liver makes more. If you consume a lot, your liver makes less.
    I eat eggs every day, and have great lipid numbers. And I don't think I am an outlier.
    Eggs have all 9 essential amino acids (the ones your body needs but cannot make) along with other nutrients.
    They have gotten a bad rap over the years.

• Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    You may want to look at diets for reversing type II

Eliminating added sugar is a good start

There are some schools of thought geared to reducing starchy carbs, eliminating sugar rich carbs, and replacing with fibrous veggie carbs. Add and increase exercise

My doctor did that

I reversed my type II and have been normal on BG & A1C for over two years now.

Taking meds to eat pasta was not in his plan. I eat moderate carb and exercise. No medication!

Be your own health advocate and read / learn all you can.

• Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    cilladade wrote: »
    Anyone have some easy meal plans or recipes they can share for someone with Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol???

I was diagnosed with T2 3 years ago, and changed my diet that day.
    I had no meal plan and it was all new to me.
    Basically I started with the idea I had to reduce to 100g carbs a day, and adjusted around that. I lowered it to 50g carbs a day once I knew enough about alternate foods to do it.

You need to eat to your meter. Test before eating, then an hour and 2 hours after (some foods may be even longer to create a BG spike) If something makes it go higher than other foods, reduce it or dump it.

Everyone's situation is different. But after a few months, my BG was fairly normal. My A1c before starting LCHF was over 8. Since dumping carbs, it has been between 4.8 and 5.2. My lipids before were not bad, although my HDL (good cholesterol was low). I have since learned this can be a sign of metabolic syndrome.
    Since being low carb, my trigs went way down and HDL went up. HDL being in the healthy range means a lot as far as a predictor of heart health.

When I started, a BIG help was this reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/
    So many people use it that there is practically no question not answered and discussed. And it has links to related keto boards for women, vegetarians and athletes.

If you search Pinterest, there are tons of low carb boards with menus and recipes.

There are many facebook groups dedicated to low carb as well, and all share recipes.

If you want to add net carbs to your myfitnesspal food diary, you can use this tool:
    https://github.com/Surye/mfp-keto-userscript

You have the motivation to make this work...keeping diabetes at bay.
    I don't know if you take meds, but speak to your Dr if you do, as you need to be able to reduce them if your meter shows your BG lowering. I asked to not do meds and try diet first, and my Dr agreed, so never had that issue.

Good luck.
  • cilladade
    cilladade Posts: 18 Member
    Thanks so much!!! Will definitely check those links out. Appreciate all your input.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Add as much exercise as you can with what ever you try. Weight loss also helps if that is an issue. I too am in your position. Luck to you.
  • cilladade
    cilladade Posts: 18 Member
    Thank You!