Not Sweating during workout!

Options
No matter how hard I workout I hardly bust a sweat. Am I still burning fat/calories if I'm not sweating?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Sweat has nothing to do with calories burned. You burn calories 24/7 anyway.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat either. But I "glow" like a damned racehorse :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    1) I don't understand how people don't sweat when they work hard at cardio activities

2) it bears no relation to calories burned
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat during, I pour afterwards. Odd?
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat very much either. It is a problem in the summer actually when I get too hot it makes me feel like I am going to pass out. My mom and sister on the other hand can walk by the gym and start dripping. I am pretty sure it is a genetic thing.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I used to sweat buckets, but now I don't. You are burning calories...maybe not as many as you used to, because you're lighter now, but you are. Moderate-intensity exercise is just as good for you as high-intensity (if not more, because there's less risk of injury). If you're concerned about sweat, add a high-intensity interval near the end of your workout. This has to be about as hard and fast as you can go. (I end all my runs with a 1-minute sprint before cooldown, for instance.) If you go as hard as you can, you will probably sweat (if that's what you want)...but it's not necessary to burn calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The amount I sweat is related to the temperature. I don't sweat when I'm walking in a tank top when it's 60 degrees out.

I don't sweat much when I'm lifting weights in a climate-controlled gym. My ex husband, however, sweated profusely when he worked out.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    How long have you been working out for? I never used to really sweat during exercise, face would be bone dry and bright red. I kept working at it, increasing my workouts, drinking enough water and sure enough I sweat now during my workouts.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I dont usually sweat doing the same exercise at the same intensity. I noticed that i usually sweat when i am or have been recently in a calorie surplus. Not sure if it has to do with sodium levels, fat levels or just calories overage in general but that is when i sweat. If ive been in a deficit for a few days or more i dont sweat. Weird.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sweating has nothing to do with burning calories.

you do realize that you burn calories 24/7 right? like the bulk of your daily calorie burn comes from merely existing...
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    at circuits the other day i noticed that it varied from one man dripping sweat on the floor to a lady who looked completely dry. we all worked hard so i have decided some of us sweat more than others.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    some people's sweat glands don't work as well. My mom is like that. She even had medical testing to check on it.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    As others have said, of course you are still burning calories. You burn calories while you're sleeping even.

Are you getting enough water? Just in my own experience, when I have a bad water day, I don't sweat as much. When I'm making sure to evenly spread out a LOT of water intake though, I sweat like crazy. You're probably fine and just one of those naturally lucky people who doesn't look like they've been swimming when they really went for a run, but maybe start logging your water intake to make sure you're getting enough. You don't want to find out you're not sweating because you're dehydrated. Dehydration does bad things to you.