Activity on fit bit?

Options
Why can I go for a walk n get minutes towards my 30 min goal (on the fit bit), but when I do a 40 min kettle bell workout I get 0. Not sweating on the walk n near death with the kettle bell? Seems a bit off, anyone else have this happening?

Replies

• morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have the charge HR and I get excersize minutes because mine reads my heart rate if you don't have a fitbit with heart rate it is only counting your steps you will have to manually enter on non step work outs like weight lifting ect...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What type of Fitbit are you using? Fitbit generally measures steps, not resistance training.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't automatically track non-step activity (perhaps HR ones might but the others won't). If what you are doing doesn't rely on steps, then you need to manually input them. If you go into your activity log, you can do that, and it will add the calories to your overall calories burned and active minutes (if the activity is active enough).
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I have the charge hr. Been doing jillian michaels videos no more trouble zones n 6 pack in 6 weeks also just started doing A kettle bell cardio and strength dvd. I get fat burning time n occasional cardio. So maybe it is just isn't enough still shows cals burned just curious about the activity.
  • New_determination
    Options
    Fitbit doesn't automatically track non-step activity (perhaps HR ones might but the others won't). If what you are doing doesn't rely on steps, then you need to manually input them. If you go into your activity log, you can do that, and it will add the calories to your overall calories burned and active minutes (if the activity is active enough).

When u say input manually do u mean on mfp? Or the fitbit app? If fitbit where do I do that? I go into activity log n don't see where
  • morihay
    morihay Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    At the start of your work out are you holding in the button till you get a vibration and then when your workout is done hold it in again till you get the flag?
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The HR does not read heart rate well during vigorous arm movements. I suspect what's happening is your fitbit is reading an incorrect heart rate. What does your HR show during the workout (looking on fitbit.com afterward)?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    My Charge HR reads my kettle bell workouts, though I move it further up my arm to keep it safe during snatches and cleans, and it seems to read my heart rate well up there and relatively accurate compared to my chest strap HRM. Like morihay asked, I would wonder if you are starting an activity monitoring time.
  • New_determination
    Options
    I do press the activity track button on the side heart rate is average 108. Reads whole work out but no active mins. I am mostly in fat burn for weighted workout rarely get my heart rate up into cardio n no peak. I do mountain climbers jump squats n things like that during the workout to keep heart rate up but still not succeeding in logging. I know it's not a big deal still burning calories n getting the workout done which is what's important, just would like some fit bit recognition lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I do press the activity track button on the side heart rate is average 108. Reads whole work out but no active mins. I am mostly in fat burn for weighted workout rarely get my heart rate up into cardio n no peak. I do mountain climbers jump squats n things like that during the workout to keep heart rate up but still not succeeding in logging. I know it's not a big deal still burning calories n getting the workout done which is what's important, just would like some fit bit recognition lol

When my heart rate is in the lower range (like 108), my Charge HR doesn't give me any active minutes either. It just isn't active enough to count would be my guess.
  • New_determination
    Options
    Ok Ya that's what I figured thnx so much everyone!
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Agreed. My heart rate reads anywhere between 120-155 during KB workouts but will read no activity when it is around 110 during lifting sessions unless I jog in place or other cardio activity in between sets.
  • New_determination
    Options
    K thnx I noticed my heart rate has decreased even with running finding I have to push hard to get in peak so it makes sense, that for weight workouts no lower cardio it might not read it. thnk u
  • avatiach
    avatiach Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can link all the apps. Fitbit, MFP, Mapmy ride.

I input other exercise (eg yoga) into MFP. If they are linked you put in the start time and then Fitbit adjusts the exercise calories. I'm
    I put bike rides in map my ride and they adjust through both MFP and Fitbit. Again put in the start time.

I googled how to set up the linking part.