Recommend a Protein Shake?

Options
Hi all, I have been instructed by my Dr to have a Protein Shake every morning to try and minimize my chances of blacking out in the morning.

So far - so good on this theory.

I'm asking for suggestions as the Protein shake I am using now, doesn't exactly taste amazing, but I am drinking it regardless.

I am currently using ISO Femme Strawberry Fiesta mixed with Coconut Milk.

So does anyone have any non-gag-inducing protein shakes they like to enjoy? Nutrition wise I am looking for something with decent protein, and a little sugar that can be mixed with water or coconut milk.

Replies

• ahawkx
    ahawkx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like the pre made shakes by premier protein, 30g of protein for only 160 calories! I only like the chocolate but it also comes in strawberry, vanilla, and I believe berry? For powders you mix yourself I've only ever been able to tolerate optimum nutrition. I like the banana cream best but the chocolate varieties and mocha cappuccino are good too. Speaking of coffee flavored ones I guess I also really like Chike, it's a coffee/protein mix!
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ON powders (chocolate my favorite) are only 140 calories per serving. Check to see if your insurance can cover some of the cost (Dr. recomended in your case). Walmart sells a shaker bottle with a spring like mixing device inside that works well. Good luck.
  • blindedbyawesome
    blindedbyawesome Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    spiru-tein (then one without stevia)
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I like Quest protein powder and also Combat. MIxes well, good taste and high protein. Quest is 110 cals. I don't mix with milk, just water and ice. If you private message Quest on Facebook, they will send you a couple samples of the protein powder and/or 2 bars of your choice.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    do you want to make your own?

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Protein Packed Pina Colada smoothie is blended with the following ingredients: Cup cottage cheese, cup canned pineapple or cup pineapple juice, half a frozen banana, half a cup of milk, 1 T coconut, half a scoop vanilla protein powder, and a cup of ice cubes.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with half an avocado, juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just bought the isofemme strawberry. It is so bad!
  • youngcaseyr
    youngcaseyr Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I really like the Vega line of protein powder, and they have a variety of flavors and products to meet different needs/goals. I mix it with vanilla soymilk and cinnamon and put it in my coffee
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I use Dymatize powder now, but I used to use Muscle Milk Knockout Chocolate (you can buy it any where such as walmart, target, body building sites, etc..) and it is a pre-made shake and it is really yummy .. cannot taste protein in it at all..

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you have a hard time with the taste of other powders, the Ultra Peptide series are particularly tasty (although the macros are worse than other brands).

I make my shakes with this:

http://amzn.com/B00HSMND02

I crush 4 ice cubes in a blender, add 2 scoops of that powder, and add 8 ounces of milk. One tall protein shake that's actually tasty enough to drink for reasons other than the protein.
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i use plexus chocolate and also garcinia cambogia and i mix them with almond milk and sometimes if i want more bulk i put in a small banana however they are both an aquired taste good luck
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    My top picks are Quest protein powder and Optimum Nutrition.
    Don't go for brands that are specifically market toward women...
  • irvingperez92
    irvingperez92 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Chocolate or Vanilla Syntha6. 1 scoop, add a few cubes of ice, 1 cup of water, all good. The vanilla one tastes like a birthcake milkshake, it's ridiculously delicious.
  • JocelynDeshane
    JocelynDeshane Posts: 109 Member
    Options
  • pussingtonp
    pussingtonp Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!! I will be trying something else - thanks for the tip about using cows milk - I cannot stomach cows milk, so that's why I use coconut. I tried it with Almond Milk today (I accidentally bought Silk almond instead of coconut) and either my tastebuds have gotten used to it, or the Almond milk mixes better. My friend told me, that generally, most of the fruity ones taste kinda weird, and to stick with chocolate or vanilla in the future - that seems to be the general consensus here too!
  • VisofSer
    VisofSer Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It has long been the case that with protein powders, most fruit flavours taste strange, medicinal or awful. Banana is often an exception to this.

Personally I use Bulk Powders Pure Whey Chocolate which I have mixed with ewe's, cow and coconut milk. Good value and I enjoy the flavour, much better than MyProtein or Optimum Nutrition to me. I also advise to try some samplers as this is a fairly personal and subjective decision. Mixability can be measured and compared but there is no accounting for taste.