Type 2 Diabetes

Anyone have some easy meal plans or recipes they can share for someone with Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol???

Replies

• Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Blackened grilled Salmon using Zatarain's blackening seasoning. I do it on the BBQ on one of those grill mats so you don't have to add any oil or butter to it. Then I do a vegetable such as green beans. I get the microwave in a bag type so they only take 2-3 min to cook. Sprinkle a little pepper on them. Low calorie meal and good for you.
  • cilladade
    cilladade Posts: 18 Member
    Yum!! Thanks! I love salmon.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    It might be easier to offer you suggestions if we understood how you eat now. Like, do you eat out a lot? Is that something you want to change?

There's plenty of plans out there. Without more info, I guess I'd recommend following your doctor's advice, but maybe following the "Mediterranean diet" plans out there. Easily google-able or recipe books in your local library. The mediterranean diet emphasizes lean poultry, complex carbs, fruits and veggies, olive oil and de-emphasizes sweets and red meat. Occasional cheese and occasional eggs are included.
  • cilladade
    I'm doing low carb now. My issue is having a hard time putting a complete balanced meal together. Nutritionist has me eating specific numbers of starch, protein, fat, dairy, etc each meal. I also have high cholesterol and may have kidney disease. I find myself skipping some and it's just something I need to work on. It's a big life change for me. Thanks for your input.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
  • WBB55
    cilladade wrote: »
    I'm doing low carb now. My issue is having a hard time putting a complete balanced meal together. Nutritionist has me eating specific numbers of starch, protein, fat, dairy, etc each meal. I also have high cholesterol and may have kidney disease. I find myself skipping some and it's just something I need to work on. It's a big life change for me. Thanks for your input.

Did the doctor give you a meal plan to follow? If not, and you're having trouble making meals, maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist or something like that than help you plan things following your doctor's advice.

Or, there's some really smart people here. If you told us the limitations your doctor gave you (as in, tell us specifically how much of each macro you're supposed to eat) and we might be able to help.

I'm cautious giving advice, because we don't know the details of what your doctor said, and you seem to have a lot of conditions, which makes it harder to recommend things safely to you.
  • jgnatca
    You may also want to try
    https://www.eatthismuch.com/
    Try picking Mediterranean.
  • jgnatca
    Foods to enjoy and foods to add to improve your cholesterol numbers. When I lost significant weight I stopped needing cholesterol medication.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/cholesterol/art-20045192?pg=1
  • cilladade
    Thanks!
  • jgnatca
    Do you mean you skip some meals? I can see where it might be helpful to put a few meals together so that you don't skip. Most important is to eat regularly so your sugars don't go all radical on you.

For breakfast, oatmeal with raisins, nuts, and Greek yogurt. Or an egg white omelet filled with veggies and a little cheese.

For lunch, soup or salad with deli meat, feta cheese, nuts, and a few crackers.

For dinner, chicken with pasta/rice/potato and a steamed vegetable. Or lean roast beef with pasta/rice/potato and a salad. Glass of milk on the side.
  • jgnatca
    For the kidneys (I hope all this isn't overwhelming) it is better to eat lower phosphorus foods.

http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/kidney-friendly-diet-ckd/?referrer=https://www.google.ca/

If I were to rate all the things you have to consider for your diet, I think eating regularly is most important.
  • cilladade
    You are awesome jgnatca!! Thanks for all the info. I will definitely be reading all these links.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member

Disclaimer - I am not diabetic.

How about asking the nutritionist for clarification and more help? That's what they are there for :)

Did you get food lists? For example, you need to eat X amount of starch and here is a list of starches.

I usually start with the protein and then go from there. For example, if chicken thighs are on sale, I will bake them and some potatoes and add broccoli.

Do you truly need dairy at every meal? I have it for lunch with sandwiches when there is smaller amounts of protein and as snacks with nuts and/or apples.
  • jgnatca
    @kshama2001 indeed I was trained to include dairy at every meal. As it contains all the macros, it can help even things out.

Here's a list of portable snacks that I use to include at least two macros, often three, in a single snack.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/mid-day-snacks-722504
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Thanks!
  • cilladade
    Dr didn't really give me any info. She just sent me to nutrition classes. I've taken two courses so far. Don't know too much yet. So that is why I'm pretty much lost. I was told to eat 1600 calories a day. 45 grams of carbs for each meal and 15 for snacks. I don't know what macros are so I'm not able to tell you how much I can eat. I'm very new to all this so I'm sorry I can't really tell you more. I want to lose 20 lbs and hoping that will help with the diabetes and cholesterol and kidney issues. I'm just doing a low carb diet and working out now. But nutritionist wants me to eat 45 grams each meal which I'm very hesitant with doing that. I know everybody's body is different so I am just trying to get a feel of what plans everybody is using and see which one will work for me. I find that not everything the dr or nutritionist say is always right cause my body may not react the same as another person. Thanks for any advice or input you have.

WBB55 wrote: »

Did the doctor give you a meal plan to follow? If not, and you're having trouble making meals, maybe ask for a referral to a nutritionist or something like that than help you plan things following your doctor's advice.

Or, there's some really smart people here. If you told us the limitations your doctor gave you (as in, tell us specifically how much of each macro you're supposed to eat) and we might be able to help.

I'm cautious giving advice, because we don't know the details of what your doctor said, and you seem to have a lot of conditions, which makes it harder to recommend things safely to you.

• jgnatca
    MFP can help figuring out the macros, as the first three on your diary are carbs, fats, and proteins. Those are your three macros.
  • WBB55
    edited November 2015
    Your doctor is giving you around 200 carbs per day. How many are you aiming for and if it's lower than 200, why are you aiming lower than your doctor suggested?

Legit question.
  • cilladade
    Yes, it is a legit question. It's not that I'm purposely not eating the amount of calories and number of carbs the nutritionist is telling me to eat. It's actually not my doctor who's telling me anything. I'm getting this info from a nutritionist class that consist of about 20 other people who range from all races, age, weight, and other health issues. I just can't force myself to eat that much calories a day and I don't want to eat that much carbs a day. Is that wrong? I was eating carbs like crazy before and that's how I got here. So I just feel like if I'm going to beat this I need to make a big change. I've done some research and many people have said low carb and high protein is a great start. I've been doing it for a month now and it's getting better. But after being told I need to eat a complete balanced meal that consist of the starch, veggies, protein, dairy, and fat it's been hard to do. I feel like that is just a lot of food. I'm just so tired of eating chicken and fish. I miss that greasy burger or carne asada burrito.

Is that legit?
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Your doctor is giving you around 200 carbs per day. How many are you aiming for and if it's lower than 200, why are you aiming lower than your doctor suggested?

Legit question.

• theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    I athink I may have heard some of the same advice, especially about the number of carbs per meal or snack; however, I think they are meant to be maximums. In my opinion, starch is entirely optional, though I frequently include it. Balanced meals also do not require dairy, though it can be an excellent source for some essential nutrients. Get a variety of foods. Log it all and look beyond the macros. Chicken and fish aren't you're only options, but that greasy burger may not be something you awant to eat daily - or even every week. LEan ground beef in a tomato sauce over spaghetti squash or a sweet potato with a salad can be quite nutricious. Maybe a roasted pork loin with roasted root veggies.

The red meat (beef and pork) restriction may have more to do with your kidney problems, so it's worth asking.

Try to have an individual appointment with the nutitionist. Discuss what you like to eat and your goals.