Need some new ideas.....

Options
So basically I've been trying to eat "healthy" I have eggs for breakfast and I usually eat chicken as my main part of my meal (lunch n dinner) along with healthy sides. I will cook up a bunch of chicken different ways and eat it for lunch and dinner... Problem is I am becoming very bored with chicken but I still want to continue to eat healthy. Any ideas for meals would be greatly appreciated!! (including chicken!) Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    What are you having for sides? If you kept the chicken the same and switched up the sides, would that make it less boring? How do you make the chicken. Even changing up the seasoning or method of cooking sometimes is enough to break the monotony.

Aside from chicken, pork chops or fish are great sources of protein.

See the link in my sig for a big list of foods.
  • redsoxy
    redsoxy Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've been changing it up with doing a bean-based salad for my main dish. There are a million recipies on line for various types of bean salads - gives you a good dose of protien as well as various veggies etc.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I like to dip my chicken in BBQ, hot sauce, mango habanero, or caribbean jerk sauce. If you have the carb room for sauces like that, this is what I do.

I also like to grill instead of bake the chicken...I use different seasonings, including oregeno, basil, garlic, and good ol' salt and pepper (light on the salt).

What is also good is grilled talapia and salmon...grilled shellfish...turkey breast roasts...shrimp rings...pork chops (lean)...ham (watch the sodium).

There a lot of options out there to mix it up.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    You really should be putting some fish in your diet every week.. I'm not big on fish, but I make myself eat it at least once a week. I also like to make dishes with TVP, you can flavor it however you want.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i just made "chicken parmesean" tonight for dinner

1 breast smothered in spices and blackedned on the grill(i use canola oil and fry it in the pan) then at the end add one slice sargentos mozzerella-provolone cheeses on top(or whatever flavor you like)

for the spagetti i cook my dad 2 ounces of pasta, but i used zuchinni as my spagetti

Add 1/2 cup whatever spagetti sauce you like (i used hunts garlic and herb, it has fewer carbs than most sauces)
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Chicken is an awesome meal source. How about lean beef, tuna, or lamb chops? With my TV dinners or canned tuna I have fish almost daily now. Yum.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com. It's an awesome website with great but lightened up recipes. I've tried several recipes and they were so good and low calorie.
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    i'm a fan of canned tuna. :)
  • armywife121110
    Options
    thx for the ideas everyone!! I do love tuna as well so I'm gonna try adding that!! chicken is my fav but i've had it every day for the last 5 days for lunch and dinner. just need to mix it up a bit!!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    I always jazz up my eggs... I don't really eat breakfast anymore unless I'm super hungry right when I wake up, but for brunch I have eggs with salsa, and either guacamole or a sprinkling of cheese. Along with that I sautee some veggies, which change from day to day depending on what's in the fridge.

I like changing up spices and sauces when it comes to recurring protein sources... there's this recipe from Eating Well for tilapia with soy sauce/brown sugar sauce... it's amazing and I think it's on their website!!!
  • flutterbee3
    Options
    I like to vary my chicken with Mrs. Dash spices. There are so many good ones! I also use the spices on shrimp and add that to a salad or pasta. black beans (which I NEVER thought I would like) are great on a salad or in a wrap too. In the summer when there is good fruit available I usually have a big salad for lunch so I don't get 'chickened out'. My favorite now is a Strawberry and Spinach salad with slivered almonds. The 'dressing' for it is 1 Tbsp of cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp honey, and a packet of Stevia. So yummy and also good with a bit of shrimp on it.
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about veggie burgers? Boca makes a great one that tastes like a hamburger! It's the American Griller. Add half a slice of reduced fat cheese, a slice of tomato, onion, mustard and Arnold's thin sandwich slices and you've got one delicious veggie burger! Add some corn on the cob with Parkey butter spray for a side and watermelon for dessert! Great summertime meal and not too bad on the calories!
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    Beef, pork, fish, bison/buffalo, lamb, venison, quail, ostrich, turkey ect.... I say try which ever protein unseasoned, then decide how to enhance the flavor.
  • onward6811upward
    Options
    It is my belief that Shrimp (although high in cholesterol is actually good cholesterol & is on most med-recommended diet menu suggestions) .. also, pork tenderloin is easy to eat (I have dentures that don't fit well), low in fat. Don't cook it to death. Also if you put a bunch of veggies that you like, together, & grill or bake them w/just a tiny amount of olive oil. another way to change up your menu &, again, affordable.