I need structure! What program WORKED for YOU?

Options
lauragibson888
lauragibson888 Posts: 30 Member
edited October 2015 in Success Stories
I have learned over several attempts to lose weight that I need a STRUCTURED program. I know how many calories I should be eating, but fall off the wagon if not on a plan. I need a jumpstart to get me going and keep me going. I really liked Weight Watchers, but was only successful with the meetings and I can no longer attend.
I DO NOT want a pill, a wrap, a patch, or any of that other crap....

So what did it for you? Was it simply counting your calories on MFP? or did you follow a program?

Thanks! I just feel like I am out of control. I've probably gained 15-20lbs :neutral: I NEED to do something!

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sticking with it more than three months and grinding through when I thought I was at my end, but being wise enough to know that I need to change to a different training modality. For 11 months I ran a progressively linear barbell program, switched to 5/3/1 twelve/fourteen weeks ago.

Track everything. Lift everything. Excuse nothing.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    The best program is the one you design yourself and stick with.

Yes, there's a lot of trial and error. Yes, you will fall off the wagon once in a while. But eventually, by listening to your own internal cues, you will discover what works for you. Following someone else's structure will not get you the same results they get.

That being said...I'm hypoglycemic and need to eat every few hours, otherwise I'll get sick. I also have a genetic hormonal imbalance that limits how far I can go with sugar. I only learned this after fasting blood work (awful!) and going to my doctor. With these limitations, I learned to pack lower-calorie snacks, and lots of them. I eat them throughout the day whenever I start feeling unwell. My meals are rarely one solid piece of anything; they're a mix of a lot of little things. That way I can eat when I'm hungry, not bored/tired/stressed.

I also eat to MFP's macros as far as possible. I'm especially focused on protein (more) and sugar (less) these days. I have bad days...I doubt today will be good (I'm on the road/away from home)...but 85% of the time I do pretty well.

Keep this in mind: you don't gain 15-20 lbs overnight, and it doesn't come off that fast, either. I've never used a specific diet or weight loss method, but I've dropped 45 pounds in 3 years. You can lose faster than that; I choose not to because I like to eat well and get everything I need to be healthy.

Good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Simply using MFP to track calories did it for me. Pills, wraps, you're right... crap. Expensive crap at that.

Get a food scale if you don't have one. Log and weigh everything, even if it seems trivial (I don't enter spices, or chewing gum and black coffee, but everything else... log it!). Get up and get moving - I found tracking my exercise was majorly important as it allowed for more calories. I'm an avid walker and it also motivated me to go for longer distances/times and increase speed.

Sounds like you know you need to change. No one can force you to stick with a plan but you... maybe draw up your own list of goals with a timeline and strive to hit them. But MFP puts the tools out there and they do work if you use them properly and consistently. Good luck!
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. I don't want to follow someone else's meal plan, etc. I simply stay at my calorie goal, eating foods I enjoy.

Why do you fall off? Have you set your calorie goal too low and are hungry? Are you accurately logging calories (weighing or measuring everything)?

Another thing that has helped me is setting mini goals. I started out at almost 240 lbs and wanted to lose about 95 lbs, but that seemed overwhelming. I've set mini goals of 10% weight loss that slight decrease each time. I've lost 50 lbs in 10 months doing that. I've also set fitness goals - completing the C25K program, taking a weight lifting class. My goal now is to jog 5k in 35 minutes (currently I'm around 41-42 minutes).
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have personally never used it but the 21 day plan seems like the structure you may need. Unfortunately you do have to buy something. They are individual, color coated tupperware like containers that you put the amount of food in you are allowed to eat. Once again I have never used it but it sounds like the kind of structure you are looking for.

The only thing that has worked for me is staying within my calorie goal.

good luck on finding something that works for you.
  • isnijo
    isnijo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was doing well when I attended Weight Watchers sessions. I can't go anymore and the pounds are starting to creep back. I'm thinking a group challenge might be the way forward.
  • bartysaj
    bartysaj Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try Keto! It's low carb, high fat and very satisfying! I lost 12.5lbs in my first month and very rarely feel hungry or deprived. There are a lot of mixed reviews out there about how healthy a LCHF diet is but having cut down my sugar and gluten intake I feel SO much better and less bloated.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    i created my own structure

I log everything, eat everything ( high carb) only moderation and portion control.
    Every night i sit down and log/plan the next day..( next day i can tweak a bit)
    I weigh all my food
    I exercise 6 days a week for approx 300 calories a day.
    I am patient
    I am consistent

And it works

95069916.png
  • Albertafun
    Albertafun Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I too need structure, there is some great ideas thanks some of the programs and ideas I've never heard of I will check them ;)
  • winn9524
    winn9524 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm following a whole foods plant based lifestyle called Eat to Live by Dr. Fuhrman. Still learning a lot about it but have been doing pretty good with it so far. Check it out when you have some time. Best of luck...
  • eskimohugger
    eskimohugger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    What really got me started was this program from Zoe Rodriguez (insta: zoelivelovelift) that involved home exercises and guides and information about how to count macros (She uses MFP also)/ recipes/ muscle group workouts/ etc and her inspirational posts usually kept me motivated. Her programs are cheaper than most (about $19.95 but she has sales a lot) and she's actually the sweetest human being ever and she had offered me two free programs (we e-mail quite a bit about fitness and motivation and insecurities) I love her, great girl, great personal trainer
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I created my own program using MFP and my likes and dislikes. I lost most my weight without exercising. I'm at my most successful when I prelog my food a day in advance so I don't over do it. Breakfast includes 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (vanilla ) some kind of berries, pumpkin flax granola (1/3 cup ) and a coffee with one cream one sugar. Lunch is typically 2 boiled eggs with dijon mustard, snap peas, carrots, celery, a piece of cheese, usually by dinner time I have about 600 calories left to eat so I can eat pretty much whatever I want as long as I portion it properly.
  • mugglewump701
    mugglewump701 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I completely understand where you are. I started this year at 180 pounds, so I did a couple of rounds of Les Mills Combat. The great thing about the Beachbody programs is they give you a well rounded workout program and schedules that tell you exactly which workout to do every day. They also come with nutrition books that give you a detailed eating plan and quite a few recipes.

I love this because if I don't know what workout I'm doing on a given day, sometimes I just end up not doing it. It's perfect for someone who needs complete structure, but you can also tweak it to fit your needs as they change. I still go back to the nutrition plans when I need ideas.

When I finished my second round, I was down to 160 pounds (In June). I've only lost a few pounds since then as I started lifting and running, but I plan to start 21 Day Fix to get me back on track.

I will disclaim this and say that I am a Beachbody coach, but I was not while I was doing Combat as I just signed up last week. :smile: you can check out my blog for my full story: findingkodex.wordpress.com

Good luck to you and feel free to friend me!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    If you like structure, use mfp like I do - I preplan and pre-log my meals each night for the next day. On the day of, I just follow my plan.
  • shellygw
    shellygw Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I logged into MFP and used nutrisystem for the first month and in the second month I started replacing those meals with healthier recipes that I tried and liked. The Nutrisystem helped me get used to portion control and I didn't have to think about my meals too much. As I realized I could live on less calories, I was more excited to try my own cooking but didn't obsess because I still had left over nutrisystem meals to fall back on if I didn't feel like cooking. Almost 3 months done and I do all my own meal prep, relying on prepackaged meals only about 1-2x a week. It has given me a sense of control and confidence in myself that I haven't had in a really really long time.
  • KetoRach0210
    KetoRach0210 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Keto is the first way of eating that has truly worked for me, and I'm never going back. I've tried everything.. But LCHF is the way I plan to eat forever, not only has it helped me lose weight it has also helped me feel so much better health wise..
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    maybe counting calories isn't enough. maybe you also need to count macros. that'll give more specific structure if you're looking for it. just split your calories in 3 between the protein, fat, and carbs. include 20g-40g fiber.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!