Potassium

Options
es0torok
es0torok Posts: 66 Member
how on earth am I supposed to eat 3500g of potassium? Is there some secret food that can help fill that? (other that bananas)?

Replies

• kimberlyAjohnson
    kimberlyAjohnson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes have a lot of potassium. So does fish I think.
  • es0torok
    Options
    I didn't think about baked potatoes. Wish the were good without all the butter and sour cream.
    I ate tuna today and it did not register any. But the avocado did.
  • furfighter
    furfighter Posts: 17
    Options
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Took this verbatim from my website. Hope it helps you.

Potassium

Along with sodium, chloride, calcium and magnesium, potassium is also an electrolyte crucial to regulating heart function. Almost all potassium consumed is absorbed by the body and is used to maintain nerve transmission, muscle contraction, converts sugar into energy, and helps reduce blood pressure. Too much potassium in the body results in symptoms of weakness, a weak or slow pulse rate, irregular heartbeat, nausea, difficulty breathing and possibly even paralysis. Too little potassium can result in symptoms of fatigue, slow reflexes, muscle cramps and dry skin. Heart problems can occur when potassium is depleted too quickly and not replenished. Excellent food sources of potassium include avocado, banana, black beans, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrot, cauliflower, chickpeas, corn, kidney beans, kiwi, lentils, okra, oranges, orange juice, potatoes, prune juice, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon and wheat germ. Herbal food sources include alfalfa, aloe vera, black cohosh, black walnut, blue cohosh, bilberry, birch, borage, burdock, cascara, catnip, chamomile, chapparal, chicory, coltsfoot, comfrey, dandelion, echinacea, goldenseal, elderberry, eyebright, finger, ginger, goldenseal, hops, horehound, horsetail, irish moss, kelp, mullein, nettle, papaya, parsley, peppermint, plantain, primrose, red clover, rosehips, rosemary, sage, savory, scullcap, shepherd's purse, slippery elm, valerian, yarrow and yellow dock. To ensure optimal health, the proper ratio of potassium to salt is 2:1.
  • es0torok
    Options

THANKS!
  • furfighter
    furfighter Posts: 17
    Options
    Your very welcome!
  • es0torok
    Options
    . Excellent food sources of potassium include avocado, banana, black beans, broccoli, cantaloupe, carrot, cauliflower, chickpeas, corn, kidney beans, kiwi, lentils, okra, oranges, orange juice, potatoes, prune juice, spinach, strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon and wheat germ. Herbal food sources include alfalfa, aloe vera, black cohosh, black walnut, blue cohosh, bilberry, birch, borage, burdock, cascara, catnip, chamomile, chapparal, chicory, coltsfoot, comfrey, dandelion, echinacea, goldenseal, elderberry, eyebright, finger, ginger, goldenseal, hops, horehound, horsetail, irish moss, kelp, mullein, nettle, papaya, parsley, peppermint, plantain, primrose, red clover, rosehips, rosemary, sage, savory, scullcap, shepherd's purse, slippery elm, valerian, yarrow and yellow dock. To ensure optimal health, the proper ratio of potassium to salt is 2:1.

This is great information and definitely helps. I love tomatoes and broccoli, so now I have a direction.