muscle soreness relief

Options
Right now I am doing the 7 minute workout 3 times a week and resting the days I don't workout. I also stretch before and after I workout. But I do get kind of sore afterwards and am always looking for ways to reduce the soreness. I want to continue exercising and not give up. Does anyone have any advice for what I could do,eat or take for muscle pain to prevent getting sore?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Consistency and time are the only things I have ever found to truly help alleviate soreness.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Yes. You will get used to it.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    • Foam roll. Foam Roll. Foam Roll.
    • Hydrate well
    • Go for a walk the day after, even if you are super sore--it will help
    • Bath with Epsom salts.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Do not stretch before any kind of dynamic workout. It strains the muscles before you start using them. You'd be better off with a low-impact, low-key warmup (1-2 minutes) before going into the workout proper. Stretch after. Do yoga. For legs I like the half butterfly and dragonfly poses. For the hips I like the butterfly and swan poses. For the back I like sphinx/seal and the spinal twist. Hold these for a few minutes every day, and DOMS (muscle soreness) should be a distant memory.

While exercising more will help in the long haul, you won't keep doing it if you're in pain. (I know I wouldn't.) If the yoga doesn't work or you're still really sore, invest in something like the Stick. It's a muscle massager (about $10) that does great stuff for the legs. You can get it on Amazon.

Good luck!
  • frankiesgirl21
    frankiesgirl21 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Foam Roll?
  • bowzerx
    bowzerx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Potassium supplements helped me.
  • Nickle526
    Nickle526 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Definitely do some research on whether or not to stretch before exercise. I no longer do, and only stretch after. Foam rolling has been huge for me.
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    I wish I had a fitness expert that I was close friends so i know for sure the proper thing to do with stretching cuz everyone has a different opinion about it but I do both before and after
  • jenniferpiotrowski0
    Options
    Hydration might be part of the problem..I have to force myself to drink more water cuz normally I dont drink anything unless I feel like I'm thirsty. I don't have foam rollers and not too sure if I can do yoga cuz I have balance issues but I'm hoping eventually ill gradually become flexible and have better balance as I stretch and exercise
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Active/moving warm up before exercise and slow cool down movements with static stretching aferwards.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Some light beginner yoga might be helpful for your muscles and balance issues. I find it really helps to do a warm up (elliptical usually) first, stretch after, and always "walk it out" on the rest days. If I don't move enough on rest days, then I become incredibly stiff!

Extra water and epsom salt baths are a life saver. Hot springs are great too, but most of us don't live close enough to one to make it a regular routine.

Massaging is good too. If you don't have a foam roller, try a tennis ball. Roll the tennis ball up and down and around in circles on your legs/arms, under your foot, or between your back and a wall.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If you are new to exercise and using muscles, joint and ligaments you do not normally use, you are going to get sore.. hand down... you can stretch and warm up (recommended) and do slow calming cool down and of course stretch afterwards and once the muscles recover after several workouts the soreness subsides.

Do not skip your exercise day if you are sore. Working out again on the next day you have scheduled to exercise will actually help alleviate soreness and pain..

Then when you are not sore anymore you will wonder if you worked out hard enough... the answer is yes.. you do have to feel soreness or get DOMS to know you worked out..
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Foam Roll?

Google it.
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    As others have said the only way to get over the soreness is to keep moving. At least that's what my trainer tells me when I whine about being sore. I also enjoy lavender Epson salt baths. They seem to really help after a strenuous cardio/strength workout. But hey if you're sore then you're doing something right so keep at it!