daniksac
daniksac Posts: 15 Member
edited October 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
At the same time? Loose weight overall?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are a beginner, obese or an athlete returning from an extended break, yes. A little.
    Everyone, a very delicate balance of appropriate eating and adequate lifting can cause recomposition. It's a very long and sometimes frustrating process.
  • daniksac
    Options
    Working out 6 times a week. Weights and cardio (tennis) trying to lower my body fat but don't want to loose muscles.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    daniksac wrote: »
    Working out 6 times a week. Weights and cardio (tennis) trying to lower my body fat but don't want to loose muscles.

It's pretty simple to lose weight and retain muscle. That's a matter of an appropriate deficit (10-20% below TDEE) and adequate protein (.8g per pound lean body mass is a solid place to aim).

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    If you are a beginner, obese or an athlete returning from an extended break, yes. A little.
    Everyone, a very delicate balance of appropriate eating and adequate lifting can cause recomposition. It's a very long and sometimes frustrating process.

This. Though you are asking two different questions @usmcmp has answered them both well.
  • daniksac
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. Is one day per week can ruin your whole process? ( ice cream
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream all the time... it fits in my calorie goals and macros... so it's not big deal.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat ice cream all the time... it fits in my calorie goals and macros... so it's not big deal.

This. I eat chocolate, oreos, ice cream. Dieting can be very flexible. No reason you can't hit a protein goal, and have a bit of ice cream to help you meet your fat macro.
  • daniksac
    Options
    That's a problem for me now... Having a bit of ice cream. All or nothing for me. trying to teach myself to eat little by little.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    daniksac wrote: »
    That's a problem for me now... Having a bit of ice cream. All or nothing for me. trying to teach myself to eat little by little.

You can practice moderation, sometimes you might fail. Or you can find a few things you can eat the whole thing of-that's what I do. Because I like to eat a lot.
  • daniksac
    Options
    Only thing that keeping me not to eat sweets, is to be active. Swimming, tennis, gym, when I exercising I don't want to eat that much. :)

• cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I just buy my ice cream at the gas station ;) Seriously, I buy it in small portions because I have a hard time moderating yummy ice cream. And I do love those Snickers ice cream bars at the gas station!
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am a beginner. I have been working out and tracking my macros for four months. I got a body scan done when I first started and then just the other day I got another. I have lost five percent body fat and gained three pounds of muscle in that time.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    To add to the recomp posts...

The answer is absolutely yes you can loose body fat and gain muscles... Notice I did not say maintain muscles.. I have been doing it since April. It is a slooooooow process, and the key is to getting your nutrition spot on. Newbie gains taper off in about 2 to 3 months (at least for female) however, gaining mass whilst loosing the fat come from a very very slight deficit.

I guess I can say that I did it and "I got the t'shirt".. LOL :)
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    To add to the recomp posts...

The answer is absolutely yes you can loose body fat and gain muscles... Notice I did not say maintain muscles.. I have been doing it since April. It is a slooooooow process, and the key is to getting your nutrition spot on. Newbie gains taper off in about 2 to 3 months (at least for female) however, gaining mass whilst loosing the fat come from a very very slight deficit.

I guess I can say that I did it and "I got the t'shirt".. LOL :)

Yes for me, too. Exactly the same way.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    It is easier for me to break up the month into diet weeks and muscle weeks

Eat at a deficit for a week then break even the muscle build week. Your body will source fat for some calories. I always made sure I had enough protein

I did for almost two years.

It was less boring than just straight constant diet

Opinions vary on what works best

It will get down to if you like to do it and what works best for you.