Too much protein

Options
hi everyone !
I was wondering if getting too much protein is bad for a weight loss process (when you work out..) ? How much is too much ? Thanks :)

Replies

• maizerage66
    maizerage66 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's actually just as beneficial to have a higher protein intake during weight loss because protein helps to keep you full similar to fiber. It will also help to maintain lean muscle mass and prevent muscle loss from the reduced calorie intake. There are many different methods you could use for how much protein to get per day, but a good starting point would be 1 gram per pound of lean body mass.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    In general too much protein should not be a problem, as long as you stay within your calorie goals (assuming your not going well beyond reasonable amounts). There is certainly no reason to eat more than 1g of protein per lb of body weight. I aim for .8g /lb daily.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? Once you get above 2g per body weight in lbs you're getting towards the point where your kidneys are working too hard. But let's say you weigh 180 lbs and are eating 180g of protein, you probably are fine if you're also eating enough fiber and fat. I MYSELF recommend no single macro go above 60% of your total (so if you ate 1500 calories, protein being no more than ~225g).
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think as long as your with in your calories and not doing weird things like eating nothing but protein powder all day you should be fine.

How much are you eating?
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There is no actual proof that there is such thing as 'too much' protein(staying within calorie goals of course), in the sens that it shouldn't cause you any harm unless you have a medical reason for avoiding it. I will however say that the body can only physically 'use' an average of 10g of protein per hour.. So even if you digest 60g of protein and your body manages to digest the food/drink within lets say 2 hours, you will only have actually benefitted from 20g of the protein in total for muscle growth/repair/maintenance(there are other factors that can alter this slightly but I'm not going any deeper into it.. these are only 'general' guidelines of course).

Protein does have other good qualities though that surpass the muscular benefits, it's great for satiaty. I tend to find that when I go for high protein/moderate fat I stay feeling full for a lot longer!

Definately something that helps me when I'm aiming for those lower bodyfat percentages!

All the best to you!
  • beatua1
    Options
    There is no actual proof that there is such thing as 'too much' protein(staying within calorie goals of course), in the sens that it shouldn't cause you any harm unless you have a medical reason for avoiding it. I will however say that the body can only physically 'use' an average of 10g of protein per hour.. So even if you digest 60g of protein and your body manages to digest the food/drink within lets say 2 hours, you will only have actually benefitted from 20g of the protein in total for muscle growth/repair/maintenance(there are other factors that can alter this slightly but I'm not going any deeper into it.. these are only 'general' guidelines of course).

Protein does have other good qualities though that surpass the muscular benefits, it's great for satiaty. I tend to find that when I go for high protein/moderate fat I stay feeling full for a lot longer!

Definately something that helps me when I'm aiming for those lower bodyfat percentages!

All the best to you!

The research I have seen on the amount of protein that can be "used" is mixed, even so all of it seems to point to a lot more than 10g/hour. Do you have a link to some research that you are using to base the 10g/hour on?

This is a good article discussing the research about how much protein can be absorbed.
    http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    beatua1 wrote: »

All the best to you!

The research I have seen on the amount of protein that can be "used" is mixed, even so all of it seems to point to a lot more than 10g/hour. Do you have a link to some research that you are using to base the 10g/hour on?

This is a good article discussing the research about how much protein can be absorbed.
    http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Sure, given that I'm at work right now it's a little difficult to cite many sources and I'm positive there will be mixed research based on differing strains of protein and ingestion.

This is based on Whey protein taken in liquid state (protein shake)-
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much
  • beatua1
    Options
    beatua1 wrote: »

All the best to you!

Sure, given that I'm at work right now it's a little difficult to cite many sources and I'm positive there will be mixed research based on differing strains of protein and ingestion.

This is based on Whey protein taken in liquid state (protein shake)-
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/rr-whey-too-much

Interesting, thanks for posting that. Very informative. This research applies to liquid whey protein shakes, but interesting none the less. Also, the fact that it is sponsored by the company that benefits most by its findings is quite suspect, but I am going to spend more time looking into this.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I think the confusion comes into play when dealing with protein when viewed as "used" vs "absorbed". Different things are removed from food at differing times in the digestion process. Protein isn't super fast to absorb and that varies with the type of protein involved. That isn't to say that it all goes to waste, but from everything I've seen proteins will be absorbed no faster than about 10g per hour, and that would be for a quicker absorbing whey protein.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Like most people have said, how much is too much?

There are points at which adding more protein is probably not beneficial, and adding healthy fats or complex carbs would probably be a more nutritionally valuable use of those calories.

The negative consequences of too much protein at a calorie deficit could include a lack of vital nutrients from fats and carbs (your body needs those, too!) and possibly kidney damage at really high protein levels. But most people aren't really eating near those levels.

And of course, if you're eating so much protein that it puts you over your calorie goal, you won't lose weight. But that's true for fat and carbs, too.

Bottom line: The ideal macro split comes down to personal preference... within reason.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Unless you have pre-existing kidney issues, it should not be a problem.
    For people controlling high blood sugar through diet, too much protein may make numbers higher than expected because it causes an insulin reaction, but only half as much as carbohydrates.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Calculate your percent of bodyfat to get your LEAN mass, and then multiply by .8, and you ll have your target.
  • mariejoseelachance752
    Options
    Wow ! Thanks everyone for your replies ! That really helped ! I'm not into protein shakes that much (I'll have some but not every day) and I probably eat from 60 to 80 g of protein per day (my weight is 145). I wasn't sure cause my default goals on the app allowed me 60 g per day (and I'm always over it...)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    60 to 80 grams is nowhere near too much. Many on here look at the protein goal as a minimum to reach.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    At 145 lbs I'd be aiming for at least 100g per day anyway (I like .8g per pound of body weight). I weight 130 and I had like 170g of protein today because I love meat, greek yogurt, and PEscience snicker doodle protein powder.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Unless you have pre-existing kidney issues, it should not be a problem.
    For people controlling high blood sugar through diet, too much protein may make numbers higher than expected because it causes an insulin reaction, but only half as much as carbohydrates.

Several different studies (linked and analyzed within the article) indicate that the insulin reaction from protein is as high as that of carbohydrates. The blood sugar response is lower, but the insulin response is not.