Running plan?

Options
A little history: After a tumultuous year (my geographical move, my oldest child moving out on his own, my youngest child reaching adulthood, my divorce (yeah!), with youngest staying with the ex to finish out school), I've had a hard time sticking with a work out routine. Now, when the spirit is ready, the body is weak. After a visit to the podiatrist, I have Heuter's neuroma in the left foot and a bone spur/plantar fasciitis in the right. I have had cortisone shots, daily shoe inserts, & a nighty splint on my right foot, plus Dr ok to start a training plan for 10K training. (in fact, I think he might show up to the race!)

Don't readily recall where I got this training plan, but I picked it because it was basically a 4 month plan, & stated off very slow (run 10-15 mins) which seemed wise after coming off a "slump" & double injury like I was.

So now question is this: My schedule for Saturday dictates 1.5 mile run. I know, looking at the schedule, that this is to condition me to be my "long run day". This week read (did) like this: Mon: 15-20 min run(21 min/1.6 miles) / Tue: Bike or rest / Wed: 15 - 20 min run(22.15/1.74miles) / Thu: Rest (biked 45.53/8.75 miles) / Fri: Bike or 15 min run (planned rest) / Sat 1.5 mile run / Sun: rest.

Since I'm already running longer distance than the 1.5 miles planned for Saturday's "long run", should I just stick to the 1.5 miles, or plan a 2 miles? (It's my weekend on, Fri/Sat/Sun on, 12 hour day, so will have to get up @ 4am...lol)

Thanks for input! (sorry this is long)

Replies

• TravisBremner
    TravisBremner Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As long as you are continuing to train, do what fits your schedule. Don't wake up so early that you're out of energy most of the day.

When I trained for a half-marathon, I would run on Mon/Wed/Thur/Sat with Saturday being the long day. Sometimes I would have to do Saturday's run on Sunday, so I'd adjust my schedule according. It's ok if everything doesn't go exactly to plan.
  • tcarp8
    tcarp8 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Dreamer...I had plantar fasciitis in both feet. I wouldn't push too much harder than your schedule but if you feel good, go for it. Good luck.
  • runtrinny
    runtrinny Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I say listen to your body. Aim for the 1.5 but if your body feels good Saturday, run the 2 miles.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm trying to avoid the "too much, too soon" syndrome, yet still get a good training in. I'll see what lies in store in the morning!
  • dreamer12151
    Options
    Update : weather was sweet. Pandora played good music. No walkers stumbled out of the bushes. Mind started roaming. Feet felt good. Ended up doing 2.2 miles!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Map my run has a training plan section

I have used it.

• dreamer12151
    Options
    Thanks, I use Runtastic, & have for years. I've not really "played" around with any of the plans, as I usually just use another plan.